Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Apache...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

try countersinking with a stainless pipe that you can polish and a washer that you can weld to the end of it. That way you can try whatever depth you want

2. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I gotta re turn the whole gauge panel. I tried to fix the cratex marks and fucked it up even worse...

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. Buzznut

Buzznut

That sucks bud... but by the third time you'll be an old pro. Oh wait, you're hoping to be done after the second time. Hell, maybe I'll send you something of mine to turn.

4. janie4292

janie4292
    from virgie,ky.

looking good, im building 59 apache,pro street, narrowed frame and rear,trans am front clip post pics soon

5. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

The one bed side i have is actually off a 67 and up truck. As you can see the fender holes are different. I need to weld up the holes and re drill it for the 55 -59 fender. The bedsides are identical besides that

6. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Attached Files:

7. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ok guys, need help gettin the bed bolted up. The bed seems to be sitting 1 1/2 too far back. At least i think ? Check out the pics. The angle iron on the side doesnt line up with the bed crossmembers and the rear most sill is about 1 1/2 off as well. Also should i have a gap between the angle iron on the bedsides and the crossmember or should it sit directly on top ? Also the rear sill does sit on top of the frame rails right ? Is the gap between the cab and bed too much ? Maybe my front crossmember mounting holes are wrong ?

Attached Files:

8. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Also does this front panel look lined up right ? Its a repop. Im almost positive the bed gap between the cab is too big. The truck looks retarded without fenders lmfao

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I unbolted the front bed crossmember and slid it forward so everything else lines up. I guess ill just drill new holes in the frame for the front crossmember.....

Attached Files:

10. It's tough....without being there. Bed fitment can be tricky.....when I started to re-do the wood in the back of my '59 I discovered that I had a '63-' 66 bed on her based on the holes drilled into to cross sills. MAR_K was able to figure that out for me based on dimensions of the holes in the cross sill. I dont even know that, that helps..........workin' on my 3rd martini:D

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I ended up just drilling new holes for the front crossmember. Everything lines up now..... What about the gaps under the angle iron though ? Also i welded the holes on the 67 bedside up, gotta re drill for the 55 - 59 fender now and re bolt the bed up.....

12. dew468

dew468
    from Austin, Tx

looks like it's gettin' there. a friend has a 58 and he had the same problem. it looks good now after it got moved and drilled and drilled also. boy am I glad I have a fleetside. I escaped all that fun on mine.

13. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

The fleets look awesome, if i didnt have a stepside i wouldnt have room in my small shop for the bed tho lol. I had all the parts up on a rack

14. dew468

dew468
    from Austin, Tx

I don't have room either, I have a good friend that lets me work on it at his shop. lol

15. Buzznut

Buzznut

Green, dude, you are a natural at fabrication. Looking at those bed rails and knowing you just started welding, I'm pretty impressed.

Trucks looking great.

16. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks man, im trying to steadily improve. Im hoping the fenders and steps will be on the bed tonight. Ill be heading down later to try and knock that out

17. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Beds roughed in. Stance is killer. Im 5'9 for reference.... Bed still needs a good amount of work tho. Startin to get there.......

Attached Files:

18. dew468

dew468
    from Austin, Tx

looking good Green.

19. Brog

Brog

Shit looks awesome, can you message me and explain what you did with your bed rails, I'm guessing you rounded them? Did they come stock flat like that on chevy's? Cause my rails have an angle and are pointed slightly upward

20. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Looks good man, I pulled out my tailgate which I wrote off years ago as trash and thought this is very repairable. The new ones and most replacement metal isn't so great. But looking at my gate I finally gave in to the fact that these trucks weren't real precise to begin with. I appreciate all the info. with the doors etc. you have dug for during your build. You have done a great job and should be very proud of what you have accomplished and learned so far.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

Too bad you're almost finished.. I've got one with a big back window sitting in my back yard .. Would look good on your truck.

22. chaddilac

chaddilac

Nice job on the bed!!! We got the same dent in the tailgate!! :D hahaha

23. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

24. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks fellas, and hell yea chad i got quite a few dents in that gate to fix lol. The big one kinda bowed the whole bottom side of the tailgate in

25. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Nice shot. These 55-59 trucks look tough without the rear bumper

[​IMG]

26. Buzznut

Buzznut

What airbag system are you installing?

27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

No bags. It looks a little lower than itll actually sit in the back due to the rake right now and the small tire size on the back right now. Should come up another inch and a half ish

28. 1959apache

1959apache

Wow, I have one in the same location but on the inside lol

Looking good Green, when you get to the wood bed stage make sure you use a foam brush to put your gloss or semigloss on. 1) no brush strokes, so it lays clear and flat 2) you wont have to mess up your work when one of the bristles falls out of the brush.

How did the gauge panel turn out? Did you move onto something else for a while because it pissed you off?:D

I like the stance, I am 5'8 and that is freaking L O W. It's looking tough, keep up the good work.

29. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks apache. I got away from the gauge panel for a bit. Im gonna grab a couple cold ones and re do it tonight probably. And yeah its pretty low, but compared to most new cars its not that low really. It just looks super low compared to most trucks. Meddler1 has run an almost identical setup for 10 plus years and hasnt had many issues at all from what he said. And yeah my dad was tellin me about the foam brush too, hes an awesome wood worker so ik gonna rely on him ALOT for the bed floor lol

Attached Files:

30. n847

n847

I love that your gonna drive it with a static drop like that! I think bags are cool but if your gonna do bags I want it laid all the way out, and with as much custom work as you've done that truck doesn't need that!