Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nuts, bolts, and things you always run out of

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ed_v, Mar 20, 2013.

1. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

Hey guys,

I get tired of running out to scrounge up nuts and bolts to replace those that I lose, cutoff/grind off, or have to replace that's missing. I want to purchase some hardware bins and keep in stock.

Any suggestions on any sizes you go through on your builds more often than others or of any bulk solutions?

I moved way out in the country and this it's a PITA to run out all the time for these little things and it is killing me when it comes to my garage time!

Thanks,

Ed

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Grainger.com - order their catalog. Check your local jobber supplier - those parts houses and repair garages/shops know where they are.

3. supervert

supervert

i keep tons of them to keep on stock and never have what i need. find a place that sells by the lb and just keep stocking up every time you go to get something. the place i got to is about a hour from me so i buy about 20-30lbs when i do go

mcmaster
    msc
    fastenal
    tsc

4. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I keep on hand -

Bolts in lengths .5" to 2", nuts, nylocks, split and flat washers All in sizes of 1/4" through 1/2" in coarse and matching nuts in fine thread.

An assortment of #6 through #12 machine and sheet metal screws in stainless and black oxide.

Fender washers to fit above.

An assortment of inside and outside star washers.

An assortment of metric nuts and bolts

Electrical crimp and solder connectors from #6 through 00 battery connectors.

Wire from 22 through 00

A bunch of other stuff. I live in the woods too. I online order from Fastenal and Ancor.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I'd say primarily 1/4 through 1/2 inch and up to 2 inch but you don't need a lot of the longer lengths.

1/4 inch hold things on most of the time and up to 1 inch long is plenty.
    5/16 are used everywhere on old cars and 1/2 long up to 2 or 1-1/2 long to start with a good number of 3/4, 1, 1-1/2 and 1-1/2 and lyth of the time I find I am hunting for a 5/16 or 3/8 bolt an inch long. A few each of 7/16 and 1/2 bolts from 1 inch long up to 3 or so will probably get you out of trouble but I wouldn't keep many to start.

Years ago I used to go the local farm supply and buy a hundred lbs of bolts at about the third week of school when I was teaching auto shop. I dumped them and the contents of the metal bolt bin in the middle of the classroom floor and the students in the beginners classes learned to tell the size, grade and length of bolts by sorting them and putting them back in the proper holes in the bins. It took a few days but when they were done most all of them could look at a bolt or nut and tell what size it was and what thread it had. 30 years later I have some of them tell me that is something they still use all the time and they have never forgotten it.

6. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

That is exactly the kind of info I'm looking guys! We are so lucky to have this encyclopedia of hot rod knowledge :). Any and all suggestions are truly appreciated. Thanks as always.

Ed

7. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

Thanks for the suggestions. I liked the story about your former students.

Ed

8. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

If you have a TSC tractor/farm supply near, they have a good selection of three grades of bolts, washers and misc fasteners. Sold by the lb. and very good quality..

9. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Tractor Supply is great for this stuff, even if I just need a piece of of angle or wire mesh they have it. I would love a shopping spree in there some day.

10. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

cotter pins is one assortment i have always kept on hand.
    o-rings another,bailed me out lots.
    i do lots of junking,and friends always think i need their cans of unwanted hardware.
    always comes in handy.
    i too,live in the sticks,local parts store is hard to stomach the pricing and service
    so i need to go 30 miles for my parts/hardware.
    i cant even buy a roll of wire for my welder in this town,stock my own spare roll.
    had to sell it to the local body shop a couple times.....