Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Willys PU build....from sedan panels.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, Apr 22, 2012.

1. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Extremely well done!!!!

2. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

Kevin the Ross steering box is an old sprint car box.my truck has the same box as well.

3. subscribed early. thanks.

4. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Very nice work with attention to detail.....

5. You work for Rustoleum??
    I'm enjoying the build.

6. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

The stock boxes on both my 41 willys sedans are Ross also, a little different mounting but they must have made a few applications?
    this picture not to great:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  7. Thanks guys for the positive comments! I really wish I could keep it, I would like to have a coupe and pickup but It's not going to be.

I think landseaandair nailed it with the steering box. The mounting holes on that tractor look the same. It is probably a Ross box that was used on several things. I have had several different styles of Ross steering boxes over the years and I know they came stock in Willys and a lot of different cars and even fork lifts etc. I was just wondering if anyone knew exactly what this one came out of.

Modelkitbasher.... I know Ross boxes have been used an all kinds of race cars and hot rods over the years but I don't think they made one just for sprint cars. I'm sure many builders put them in old sprint cars.

80% 0f this truck is built with parts that were on hand. The rear end housing
    is a 9" Ford that I narrowed for a project years ago that was never finished. The coil over brackets were in a location that worked for this truck and so were the 4 bar brackets that are now ladder bar mounts. I did widen the housing on one side to get the width I needed so I had one Moser axle the right length and had to have another made. I had a 28 spline 3.55 open third member so that is what is being used. Got the axles put in this evening. This should work fine for the new owner to get the truck running and if he wants to go racing he can step up to race parts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  8. Gloria564

Gloria564
    from usa

Man Kevin you do some awsome work, I will need to make a stop one of these days on my way down from work. It would be nice to catch up.[​IMG]

9. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

Iam sure your right Kevin,I just had a guy tell me that about the sprint car thing.thought I would relay what I was told.keep up the great work man.

10. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

I have not been following along as much as I would like to.Been busy myself (injured my back ) and now playing catch up as I got behind. Kevin,As always you make it look easy starting with a simply plan and building someting anyone would be proud to own.You have a gift my friend.like a artist you can see it before it is finished.Thats what makes your builds so interesting.They are truely build like "back in the day" cars were build,by master craftsmen one piece at a time...Great job...

Steve

11. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

Looking good Kevin.

Everytime I get a notice of activity on this thread I am reminded of the '41 Willys P/U I looked at back in the mid '70's. Had been a drag car for many years & was just converted to the street. Owner was asking $3500 it eventually sold for $3000. Another one of the many that "I should have bought" !!!!

BTW Kev.... the "grand twins" are scheduled to be born (c-section) on 3-13-13. We'll be in the L.A. area the following week. Hope to see you then !!??!!

12. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Wheres all the photos gone????

13. Photos will be back, I just have to update my Photobucket account. I am not happy about it as the new Photobucket is virtually unusable for me. Searching my albums for a picture takes about 20 times longer.:mad:

14. You got that right, I just sent them an e-mail. Kev this helped me out a bit, click on your user name drop down arrow, then click "user settings". There is a tab up top that says albums, click on that and it will show a Thumbnail Settings header with "Sort order for new albums"
    I put mine at "Oldest First" now at least the new stuff you upload is at the top of the page instead of the scrolling bottom infinity b.s. Still sucks and they say they are working on it, for what that's worth. Philip

15. Made some more progress. I think I will be ready to put this truck up for sale in a few weeks. Got the engine fired up last weekend and it ran great. Got the inside of the front fenders and center section painted and back on the truck. I also got the passenger door welded back solid. Main 2 things to do now are bodywork the door and hood.

[​IMG]

Steering box mount. The column is also bolted to the firewall structure inside....

[​IMG]

Painting front end, guess what kind of paint. Brush on this time....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put in some gauges and an ignition switch.....

[​IMG]

Door repair...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before firing it up I painted the radiator and installed it, then I made up some radiator hoses. Also got the fuel cell bolted down and a battery mount figured out. I didn't run any fuel lines but I did make up some battery cables using welding cable. Got the headers bolted on, intake and valve covers bolted down and distributor in. We just filled the carb bowl and ran it off that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am not going to make up a driveshaft for it but I did dig through my junk and found enough parts to make one. These parts will go with the truck.

[​IMG]

Here are some other parts that will go with it. Eectric fan, alternator, Holley blue fuel pump and a tranny cooler...

[​IMG]

Here is how it looks now, like I say, getting close.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  16. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

looking good

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

Awesome, Kev. It's such a tough looking truck.

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Nice job Kev, out of interest how much are you looking for it ???

19. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Nice work as usual Kev. Good luck with the sale.

Scotty

20. What is the gauge/ignition switch panel made of? looks familiar from an OT source, just can't place it.

21. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

BadAss !!!!!!!!

22. Algoma....I believe that is called stucco finish aluminum. You can order by the sheet at any good metal supply place. I made this from a left over scrap I picked up somewhere.

langy....My first thought is to put it on ebay with a reserve of $15,000. I need to find out what I can expect to pay in fees etc. I am not having much luck yet figuring this out. If there is someone on the H.A.M.B. who has sold a car on ebay and can help me with this info please PM me. I don't want to have a bunch of ebay talk on this thread.

23. Thanks. It almost looks like the finish on older style screen doors for homes.

24. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kev
    Can you tell us how you formed the raised section in the pickup bed sides.
    Thanks
    Michael

25. michael037....The panel is run through a bead roller using step dies.

26. Bodywork is finished on the hood edges. I painted the inside black and mounted the hood to the truck.Hinge is a piece of piano hinge. This is not stock Willys as that section of the cowl is all fabricated. Check out that old funky hood. It has a lot of soul and I think that's a good thing. This truck is far from perfect. I could walk around it and point out a bunch of imperfections. I'm not into perfection, I like a little character.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I raised the rear of the truck a little. Here is a view underneath.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other truck in the picture belongs to Brian from Fresno. (40WILLYSCRAZY on the H.A.M.B.). When I'm done with my truck I have some work to do on this one. Engine and trans mounts, install pedals etc. I traded this labor with Brian for all the panels I used to build the cab on my truck.

[​IMG]

Here is a look inside my truck. You can see the B&M Turbo 400. You can also see where the steering column is mounted.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    exterminator likes this.
  27. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

looks great thanks for showing

28. ryno

ryno

Looking great buddy

29. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

30. zarbtime

zarbtime

You always knew how to make work into fun...nice thread KK...