Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did I Just Kill My New Engine?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4woody, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhaas63

jhaas63

This situation sucks and any one of us could have done it. I really hope all is okay. This is what sucks about today's world...all of us are so damn busy.

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I can only speak from personal experience, having done it probably 50 times in my life, as recently as a month ago, on two occasions, when I was getting water in my oil from a leaky water pump seal.

However, in the interest of internet safety, don't do it!

3. 4woody

4woody

Thanks guys- feeling a little better now (though there isn't any reason for it..).

Could somebody give me a how-to, or a link to a good how-to, on checking the bearings. I didn't build the engine myself, and don't know what to do to check it over now.

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

This reminds me of the time I took my OT daily in for a new clutch. When I left the dealership, the motor was rattling so I killed the engine and checked the oil. It was dry! I called the dealership, pissed and told them they forgot to put oil in it. They said to drive it back and they'll add oil. I said, "Are you out of your mind?". They said everything was roller bearing and it wouldn't hurt anything. (The car was under warranty) So I drove it back, they added oil and everything was fine for years afterwards.

5. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

If it was just for a second then it's probably fine. A few min and probably not. I'd pull it and take it apart. Put new bearings in, probably new cam and lifters depending if they're roller or not. Maybe new rockers.. Damn man..

6. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

I can't believe how many are saying, pray! It's an engine for pete's sake. Pull the pan back off and check all of the bearing. If they are OK you're good to go. If one or some are turned a little in a journal, buy new bearings and polish out the journals. It there is damage to the crank, take it out and have it repaired. Simple, and you won't have to pray 300 miles from home that a rod doesn't start hammering.

7. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Hate to say it, but it sounds F@cked.

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

You could cross a busy street with your eyes closed only so many times before you get run over by a bus.

9. Pull the oil filter, cut it open, if it is full of fine metal....you know the drill......

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Maybe there is a fellow hamber in your neibhborhood that could stop by a lend a hand on how to and what to look for and not laugh to loud while helping.
    If the bearings are just scored and have not flaked off and put a bunch of shit in the oil passages you can roll new bearings in with out taking it completely apart.

11. slammed

slammed

This sounds like the plan to take. Slip 'em a few bucks to look it over. Otherwise, you will never have peace of mind.

12. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I would pull the pan (easy without oil) look at the top half of several bearings and shine a flashlight on the cylinder walls. Also there could be issues with the cam and lifters.
    Regardless, you need to look!
    Note: I've seen blown engines do burnouts without oil! Relatively minor damage...

The older I get the better I was...

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

9 chances out of 10 it is ok. Fill with oil, start it up and see. If oil pressure is normal and there are no raps or bangs, no harm done.

The tenth time you have a chewed bearing that will eventually let you down. If you don't feel like taking a chance, take the pan off and inspect the rod bearings for scoring. If they are OK the mains should be ok as they get oil first. Take off the main caps too if you want to.

14. kenny c

kenny c

Don't be too hard on yourself. This has happened many times. I once rebuilt a 330 in an f500 and started it up with only wynns oil additive for assembly oil and it ran for years afterward with no problems. I also know of at least a dozen or more honda car motors that were driven at least a half mile that were fine after adding oil. It won't hurt to pull it apart and look it over. you may need nothing more than just bearings or nothing at all. Good luck.

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

Years ago when working at a station they did a oil change and after the customer left they saw 5 new quarts of oil on the bench. Called the customer who lived 16 miles away and told him he said I'll be right back hung up and drove back. They filled the engine and it acted fine it never did cause problems.

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The posts to this thread really displays the B R O A D range of opinions on the HAMB.

However, no one knows for sure what your particuilar engine's condition is at this moment.

Bear in mind YOU are the one who has to shoulder any consequences of this unfortunate error.......not any one who recommends "just put oil in it and....."

If you tear it down, and everything is okay, you're out maybe two hours and another pan gasket.

If you tear it down and everything IS NOT okay, it's likely you've just saved yourself even more grief and expense by catching the problem before it got really ugly.

Me, I like to eliminate as many problems as I can reasonably foresee BEFORE they happen........ and that seems to have served me well for many years.

Ray

17. pitman

pitman

I thought the HAMB-er who mentioned re-fill, idle to warm up and check oil pressure was sound. Sure to keep an ear to the block to hear any new announcements!

18. greazy john

greazy john

i go with Hnstray.....why take the chance.????????????

19. Truckedup

Truckedup

If it was an engine in service for many years I would just add oil and motor on.But a new engine? No fucking way I wouldn't pull the pan ,pull each bearing cap and you can also look at the cam.

20. BaBa

BaBa

Yes but then cut open the filter. This only costs you a filter and it is done all the time in avaition on every oil change. You can learn a lot about what is going on inside by checking the filter.

21. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Note to self for next time; every oil change, as you start the engine, stare intently at the oil pressure gage. It should jump off zero within 5 seconds.

22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

To all those who think the oil filter is going to tell something about the condition of the engine. How is anything supposed to get into the oil filter when there was no oil in the engine? If there was enough oil to circulate through the filter there would be no chance of harming the engine. Not by idling for 5 minutes.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh oh, this has just taken a bad turn...

24. slammed

slammed

Yes Ray, a broad range for 'we' are a diverse lot. From dirt poor drop outs to 'Ivy League' engineers. It is a microcosm of the world dare I say? Yes, I dare.

25. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

pick one heads or tails. your call. just keep us informned. best of luck.

26. If there is no oil how would there be any metal in the filter?

If you put oil in the engine and run it the likelihood of doing more damage is greater than dropping the pan and checking the bearings,,I know it sucks but I would call the guy that built the engine and explain what happened,,pay him a few bucks to come check it out for you. HRP

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

considering that you didnt build the engine, I would call the engine builder, and either A) have him come over and drop the pan and check the bearings or B)Pull the motor and take to him so he take a look
    if both of the above are out of the question then Slammed's advice would be the next best solution. But A or B are by far the best solution at this point.

28. 61 chevy

61 chevy

if you start it up, make sure oil gauge is reading 10psi or better, no psi, no bearing

29. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Well...

... Read all the posts in order and they make more sense.

If there is loose metal, it didn't vaporize ... it will either end up in the pan or the filter.

I guess it might end trapped up in a spot in the pan that doesn't drain to the plug very well. So this method is maybe not foolproof.

30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We got Ivy Leaguer's on here? Cool.

But you do point out 4woody's real problem . . . who to believe? Must say, it's entertaining (sorry 4woody, I feel for you).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.