Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

2. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    Betty Brosmer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    From The Incredible Shrinking Man
    [​IMG]

3. swi66

swi66

4. swi66

swi66

5. swi66

swi66

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Wow, Eddie! I always thought of the autogyros as, sort of, little more than experimental and for publicity demos and such. Never imagined them in a role like this! Obviously, I have to go read up some more on these wild contraptions. THANKS for digging this up!:cool:

Oh, and Chief Hollowell with the Tommygun didn't seem to be firing paintballs!:p

[Just noticed, this autogyro MUST have been awfully advanced tech-wise! The inset of Hollowell "firing" the sub-machinegun shows no one flying. Autogyro with autopilot? LOL Apparently a put-together photo-feature for newspapers.]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Right on, Don! :) What would us car/truck guys do without wheels and gals???:rolleyes:

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Posted by Darth<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    [​IMG]

Cool pic, Darth! :) Looks as though somebody doctored it to try and make it look even older, more sepia or fading. Don't know what they were going for, since it's old ENOUGH! Background info says 1930s, but I and some other HAMBers do a thread on lost drive-in restaurants, and Goodie-Goodies is one of the country's FIRST drive-ins, in the Tampa area and starting some time in the '20s. They used young GUYS as car-hops, not gals on roller skates. (Sorry, DeuceDon!) :DHa, ha. THANKS for the blast from the past, man!

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Sorry if this has been on before, but we've covered a bunch of concept and one-off cars, and
    I honestly can't remember.:rolleyes: '62 FORD Cougar 406 gullwing concept. Whadya think, gang? :confused:
    Would the Ford gullwing have flown? (I kinda think yes, if they could build it cheaply enough.)

UPDATE: Hey, the system can work! I searched Cougar 406 and found SWI had in January posted WAY more pix and info than my one measly phto. So, I deleted it. But THANKS, SWI for just labeling pix so we can search to see if something has been posted before. Sometimes, but not always, it does work!

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Early '60s experimental cars: Monza for SWI (Gary, anything CLOSE to
    this actually get built?:rolleyes:); Chevy Corvette "Shark"; and Caddy Cyclone --
    all "shilling" for AC plugs! Nice color ads from those long-ago days when
    the illustrator's art was seen as really worth the ad dollar!
    [​IMG]

<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[​IMG]

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [​IMG]

'60 Daimler SP V-8 250. Called the Daimler Dart in the UK, but not
    in the US, because Dodge had the rights to the 'Dart' name. FlickR
    car guy Alden Jewell commented: "It was - and still is - a strange
    looking car, especially considering it was a Daimler." My question
    is, anybody know the origin of the V-8, and did Daimler ever use it
    in anything else?

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

1938: End of the Terraplane nameplate, as the Terraplane had, ironically, been a little
    too successful for the comfort of some at the parent company! Reminds one at bit of
    how and why LaSalle, LaFayette, Marquette and DeSoto were all either phased out or
    abruptly preempted. Nice color illustrations from the vast collection of FlickR member
    Alden Jewell.

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Speaking of LaSalle: The '55 LaSalle II Sports Coupe concept. Bortz SAVED at least ONE from
    the "secret" junkyard where GM sent concepts, actually intended for destruction.:(
    [​IMG]

Wow! Awesome concept drawing I have never seen before. Believe it or not, 1951 Chrysler
    Imperial Phaeton. Amzingly, this works great. Would be nice to see more drawings. Can't
    imagine even one built.
    [​IMG]

14. fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

afaik the daimler V8 was their own and used in the Majestic Major and maybe a jag' body too.

15. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

16. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

They built three. All three were returned to the factory in 1955 and updated with 1956 styling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a photo I took of one of the three (Beverly Hills City Hall in the background):

[​IMG]

17. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

The first "Women Guerrilla" corps has just been formed in the Philippines and Filipino women, trained in their local women's auxiliary service, are seen here hard at work practicing on November 8, 1941, at a rifle range in Manila.

[​IMG]<nobr></nobr>

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Their own home-grown! Wow, THANKS much for the fast info!:D
    So, one might think they'd have used it on other projects too, maybe
    later?

19. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

With some of New York's skyscrapers looming through clouds of gas, some U.S. army nurses at the hospital post at Fort Jay, Governors Island, New York, wear gas masks as they drill on defense precautions, on November 27, 1941.

[​IMG]

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[​IMG]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This StyleCraft contoured trunklid kit kinda misses the mark, doesn't it? :( Too heavy handed, IMO, [/FONT]
    to compliment [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Loewy's lines. The factory one on the later Packard Hawk wasn't bad at all.:rolleyes: [/FONT]
    PackaBaker below, thanks to FlickRiver; Stude above from FlickR.

[​IMG]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[​IMG]

Volvo PV444 (aka "PeeVee"). Remember when these were dirt common? I loved their size and always
    wondered if somebody would craft a '40 Ford 'glas nose for them. Anybody ever hear of such a thing?:confused:
    Nearly 200,000 examples of this sedan were built between 1946 and 1958, according to Alden Jewell
    of the FlickR community.

[/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT]

21. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Women workers groom lines of transparent noses for the A-20J attack bombers at Douglas Aircraft's in Long Beach, California, in October of 1942.

[​IMG]

22. Are those apples or pears/pairs?

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Sylvian, you just made a MoPar guy's day, man! Thanks for the great PIX. (So, Truman would have used these first,
    before Ike? The B&W pix I'd seen of Truman's limos didn't do the cars justice the way your photos do.)

[​IMG]

24. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

25. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hmmmm! Okay, 1949 Imp, built in Glendale, Cal. Astronomical gas mileage.
    Great! :) But, folks, the DeLuxe model pictured on their letterhead has no doors! :eek:
    T-R-O-U-B-L-E? Classed as a mini-car, this fire breather was supposedly made
    until 1954.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

They were really never intended for Presidential use. One each was given to the cities of Los Angeles, New York and Detroit. Los Angeles and New York both still own their cars and use them in official ceremonies. The Detroit car was owned by collector Paul Stern for many years, then the Imperial Palace and was purchased from them by the late Robert E. Petersen and is now in the collection of the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles CA.

Here is a shot I took of the Los Angeles car along side the Petersen car when i drove it in the Hollywood Christmas Parade:

[​IMG]

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Big THANKS, Sylvian! :cool: That surely answers the question RE Truman and Ike, doesn't it? NOT presidential cars AT ALL, different bird!

[​IMG]

29. SouthUrn

SouthUrn
    BANNED
    from US

Sylvian, does the rear compartment have two rows of seats like illustration shows?

30. brad2v

brad2v

Is that a '37 roadster in the left forground? Maybe a cabriolet, very cool either way[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.