Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

2. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Alex Tremulus
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. swi66

swi66

4. swi66

swi66

5. swi66

swi66

6. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Just wanted to say I enjoy all the old photos put on here.
    picture is of my brother and his 57 Chevy back in 1969.:cool:

Attached Files:

7. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Who is the pretty woman that has everyone's attention?

[​IMG]

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

KFC selling hamburgers is news to me,a few years ago I found out they dabbled in roast beef too which I also did not know.

9. Francis569

Francis569
    from usa

WOW!! great stuff..[​IMG]

10. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

11. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

12. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

13. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In April '11, I asked about the obsolete wooden-plank method of paving roads, over on Twin6's :cool: great thread, " Photos taken before WW2 - history in black and white." I had found a good vintage plank-road photo on the site of the Rio Grand Valley Old Cars group. HAMB Alliance member 33-Chevy of Sandy, Oregon, responded with the info, below the photo here.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also, our departed HAMB brother, MrFire:eek:, had earlier said that this method of "paving" was also used in Australia (Perth, specifically), so we're not unique in the U.S. Kind of makes sense, though. (Since my dad worked at a sawmill for a while, I've seen the long slabs they used to cut off to get logs ready for rough sawing. Where we were, those slabs weren't used much but an occasional shed or fence, so they just burned them up, or let them rot away. But they sure could have been put to use in low, muddy spots, I'd say.)[/FONT]

QUOTE=jimi'shemi291;6461119]
    [​IMG]

I've seen bridges done like this, but not a stretch of roadway. This being WAY after
    so-called "washboard" roads of logs, what would be the background story? :confused:

33-Chevy: That is a plank road, probably in Oregon or Washington. The reason for them was they were cheaper than gravel. There was once an extensive lumber industry in the Northwest. The roads made of small diameter logs were called "cordoroy" roads. They found plank road under U.S. 26 in Sandy, Oregon last summer while doing road repairs.

And HAMB Alliance member MrModelT added the following: The plank road remains found beneath Hwy 26 are from the old highway that ran all the way through Portland to the coast.

My Grandfather (Born 1901) remembered the old plank incarnation of Canyon Road through Portland's West Hills. He said it was a single lane road that was notoriously dangerous at night due to thieves and highwaymen that robbed travelers and motorists after dark from the cover of the trees on either side of the canyon.

It was also very hard on the early tires. A friends grandparents took a vacation to the coast (Seaside, OR) in 1915 in their 1913 Hupmobile Model 32. The trip took them a week (2 days there, 1 day at the coast and 2 days back) and they went through 5 new tires. The same trip today is a day trip and the drive takes about 1 hour each way...average speed 60 mph.

How times change :D <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

15. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

[​IMG]

I have seen folks use that slab wood up here to make "roads" on their property .Like you said it's cheap and plentiful in mill towns.

16. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

17. scrubba

scrubba

Jimi, thank You for providing the info on the wooden roads . I know in Virginia , well at least one supply road was paved in wood and was known as the Corduroy road in the Civil war battle known as Seven Pines . scrubba

18. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

[​IMG]

Anyone know what this is?I found it on imageshack and it had no info.

19. Okay I give up -what are winkles?
    [​IMG]

20. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

This is a robust species with a dark and sometimes banded shell. It is native to the rocky shores of the northeastern, and introduced to the northwestern,Atlantic Ocean

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  21. Gandy Dancers:

1943, Needles CA:​
    [​IMG]

Also 1943, in the Chicago area:​
    [​IMG]

22. WWII era, Detroit street scene. Army truck transporting cargo, probably for war production effort:
    [​IMG]

23. 1939 San Angelo TX:
    [​IMG]

24. silverking

silverking
    from UK

Bristol 403 as hinted at by the plate.

25. Thanks, I figured seafood of some sort. The pic appears to be English (not sure) and was dated 1952.

26. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

:D May as well been Chinese to me.Thanks

27. Looks like a BMW of some sort to me, maybe about a '46 or '47? Is "Bristol" a BMW? Not sure about the models either.

28. Now you can be a space cadet! :) From 1962:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.