Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chopped it.......she's still too tall.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tinbender, Feb 17, 2013.

1. I've been going back and forth on this truck for a long time. Hot rod, or custom. I'm going with custom. These are just some quick ideas in tape. 3&3/4" section. The hood and front end are the only complected areas. I've been saving a 47 olds grill and hood for a while also. I think I can make that work.

Attached Files:

2. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

3. fleet-master

fleet-master

get cutting!! Gona be watchin this 'un

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can do it!! Cut his #$%@ Head off!!
    Wait and see if the chop balances well with the sectioning.

Doc.

5. wayfarer

wayfarer

I think custom is the way to go, start cutting!

6. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! When contemplating a major change like a chop or section you would be wise to do some "photo-chopping" first. I don't have any photoshopping software but I do have a digital camera, I post the pictures on the web, download them at a local print shop and print off a few copies, after that it's time to get out the scissors and tape. Remember to make inch marks on the vehicle in a contrasting color before you take the photos and you'll have a handy reference on how much metal to remove.

7. fivefivechevy

fivefivechevy

ha those flames are pretty cool, too bad you have to chop through em'. I think you made the right choice to go custom though, what your doing there looks a little above MY current skill level so I cant wait to see how it turns out!

8. Thanks for the encouragement. It's been harder than you might think to commit to this direction. I've wanted to build a custom for years. I just didn't think it would be this truck. It'll go slow for a while. I'm still putting together the "Butchered Bird" project, and deep into remodeling my 1903 house, but I'm starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. And the new wife is very supportive!
    I picked up the tube to brace it with. Gonna try to get it ready to cut this next week.
    I've cut it on paper, and it looked good with the mild chop. (1&1/2") I could & would go more, but I think it will be just about right. I'm sure the HAMB will let me know!:D

9. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

do it. IMO the proportions are not right as it currently sits.

10. schaefer

schaefer

I did one of those, chopped 3" sectioned 4". It is going to be a fenderless rod with a stock Stude hood, hood sides and grille center section.
    [​IMG]

11. They started out out of proportion! ;) Didn't work on it today. Had the day off but spent the day on the T bird. I was able to spend some more time looking and measuring. I'm going to take out the floor and fire wall. "Un channeling" I'll gain tons of head room. Here's a picture of the grille in front of the truck. Keep in mind I'm only using 3 smaller of the 4 bars and the olds hood.

Attached Files:

12. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tin,

That Studi looks like great material for a kustom to me:D I don't know how you'll drive it if it's chopped, unless you're built like a bridge troll:D

Any way in hell you can move the sectioned area of the bottom corner at the back of the cab up, and save the " tumplehome '' in that area of the panel? If this area gets sectioned out, and the cab jus dropped, it will take on a '' bobbed '' look;) Maybe there ain't that much shape in the panel in that area, but from the photos it looks that way to me.
    To me, the best section jobs retain as much of the original shape and form of the vehicle, whyle removing excess volume.............than again, it could just be the fumes talkin' ?

" Beware the irrational, however seductive "

13. I'm not pickin up what your putin down pimp:confused: The cab is lookin really simple. I think I can drill out the welds and let the cab back slide down.
    Then reproduce the bottom flange ( I want it to look stock) Here's a really crappy photoshop:D More head room than you might think. I only chopped it to lean the post some more. And what the hell is a "trumplehome":D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  14. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tin,

The very bottom corners of the Cab are comprised of compound curves, no? If the Cab is jus cut and slid down, are you gonna be able to preserve the shape in that area? Thaz all I'm sayin-

15. Yeah, It's very slight, and was rusted a little anyway. Easily reproduced. So what about the profile? Like you said, the look I'm going for is what it should have / could have looked like from the factory. I really don't want it to looked chopped.

16. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,
    By " Tumblehome " I was referin to undercut or profile shape of the panel- typed without glasses:eek: If the Tumblehome don't survive the section a '' bobbed '' look will take its' place:( but I think ya figgered that out?

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed ''

17. 66slabside

66slabside

Tinbender,
    Fellow Spokanite, all I can say is I would bring by beer just for the experience of seeing someone chop something up that much.
    Subscribed.

18. fleet-master

fleet-master

do you mean like this Tinbender? i'm actually channeling my F-1 but the process is similar if not the same. Its gona work out real good in my case..I'm sliding the cab down 4 1/2in

Attached Files:

19. fleet Yep I drill out spot welds whenever I can instead of cutting thru panels. Same as your doing but I'll trim off the bottom and make a new pinch weld. I'll be taking out all the cowl between the tape lines, and putting it back after the inner structure is done.

shcaefer, I like the proportions on your cab. Doesn't look stepped on.

66slabside, I've been thinking about a little garage party / gas welding get together. stay tuned. You should see the tbird I'm building. This section job is nuthin! ;)

20. fleet-master

fleet-master

heres how mines sittin as we speak...these Fords are quite straight forward with the pinchweld around the firewall :D:D...I've drilled a couple hundred spots already !!

Attached Files:

21. fleet-master

fleet-master

yours is gona look good with that section taken out. Bit of a mission changing the front sheetmetal but worth it for the end result. Lookin forward to watching your progress

22. Another crappy photoshop:rolleyes: With a face like this, there's really nothing to lose !:eek:

Attached Files:

23. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tin,

Maybe the use of a '55 Pontiac facebar , foreshortned , and fit beneith the grille ends, or a pair of '55 Dodge grille centers under the ends of the grille? A '50 Studebaker front facebar, with guards, could maybe be cut down and used?

" A Little Putty & Paint Make a Metalman What He Ain't "

24. I have the olds bumper.( I have the front two feet of the car.) I haven't held it up to the truck, but it looks huge. Swap meet season is just around the corner. Maybe Ill find some big titty looking things! :DI think they call them dagmars?

25. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

i really like where this is going! if you slope the hood down more, i think it'll make the grill look better

26. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Yikes! as in Jane Maynsfield's or Dolly Partons?:D Tha'd be udderly uplifting for the front end of the Stude:D:eek:

I'm thinkin anything large and chrome like the Olds facebar or '54 Caddie ''globes'' would really pull away from the balance of the chop & section, and kinda kill off the kustom vibe;), but hey, I like big boobs:D

27. If I had my 2 cents worth to contribute to this post,Id say step back from the Kustom route and pursue the HotRod avenue.....
    It seems to me with that anglechop and the general attitude of these trucks,that leaving the stock grille is a better look......
    It sorta has more of a Hotrod vibe than a Kustom feel......

28. Your 2 cents is worth a great deal to me choprods. Here's the front sectioned with the stock grill. What do you think about that?

The dagmars was a joke by the way :p I'm thinking something lighter for the bumper
    The chop is actually straight down with the post leaned. The rake is stock. I'll most likely take more out of the front of the hood/aprons, but I suck at photoshop

Attached Files:

29. fleet-master

fleet-master

are you looking to bring it 'forward' in years or keep it in the same 'era'? I have an idea but it would poss make it look older..as in mid-late 40s...

The centre section of the stock grille certainly puts me in mind of a 1937 LaSalle centre grille...and by dropping the hood down and 'checking ' it into the front of the hood (much as Hamber Cleatus has done on his 40 Chevy) it might look quite good.

Then again a stock 40 Chevy grille would work good on the front of your truck too ...I think...

Attached Files:

• 033.JPG
      033.JPG
      File size:
      168.5 KB
      Views: