Register now to get rid of these ads!

Made something similar to E&J headlights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1929Essex, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

I think it's interesting what you've done, good job! It would be interesting to have more details on the whole build process. Love it when people think outside the box.

2. Diavolo

Diavolo

I like you tried to make something with a style you like. If you like them, good.

I wouldn't buy a Mune tank, A Romex watch or a Mercedes Bends but I would buy something unique that suited my needs.

3. OK..here's an E & J

[​IMG]

Here's his project light.......smaller and more compact.

[​IMG]

4. cheezwiz

cheezwiz

I'm with the majority, cool fabrication job ! The MOST important thing is if you like them! I am excited to see them on the car tho.....

5. Yea just don't say they are E&J lights and let people wonder what they are.

On the right car I would run 'em. The key is do they fit the rest of the build? E&Js don't even fit every build.

6. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I like them and applaud your efforts. What is the final product going to look like? Painted, or sanded and buffed out. As for the E & J "style of lights, I am not a big fan in general but that doesn't matter. I like your "budget" build and thinking outside the box. This is what hot rodding is about. Now lets see an updarte.

7. Thats a funny one. The young crowd may not get that one.

Let go my Eggo...:D

Think it is a nice creation.....

8. rat nasty

rat nasty

way to go man! I can appreciate your effort!

9. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Good for you!
    I couldn't agree more with crminal and espescially choppedtudor!

10. 1929Essex

1929Essex

ok, on to how i made made. the light itself is the halogen part from a toyota camry. the housings are old spot light and the front "cap" is a steel cap with a hole drilled in it. they do come apart vertically and on the inside three tabs hold the light in place. i do have to do a little bit of finish work on the welds from the cap. I am gonna play around a fin today. Thanks.

classiccarjack likes this.
  11. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

:confused: He didn't say he was trying to mimic E&J's, he did say he was on a budget, and he didn't say he was duplicating... ya gotta read the threads, they won't talk to you. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
    zzford likes this.
  12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Nice job for getting out there and doing something with your hands instead of bitching.

13. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Nice job, stand proud....... This is how it all started. From an idea to hand to metal.

14. haychrishay

haychrishay

Great explanation, but do you have any pics of the build process? I think that iis what alot of guys would like to see. and I think ribs in the top or on the sides might be as cool as the fins idea. Look up vintage bycicle headlights, Specifically Western Flyer X53, that might give you some food for thought on the fins.

15. I may be wrong, but I thought the basis of "tradition" in hotrodding was innovation & creative craftsmanship...ya know,making what you could not afford,couldn't find , or just wanted to make it yourself..Whether you like E&J's or not ,the effort deserves some respect..
    I'll bet if some high-zoot ,well known builder had made 'em , there would be slobber & huzzah's all over this place..
    nuf said..

zzford likes this.
  16. He did exactly what he quoted above.......great job:cool:

weld on.........

Attached Files:

• e&j.jpg
      e&j.jpg
      File size:
      8 KB
      Views:
    zzford likes this.
  17. I did not know Paul Jr. built rat rods! You learn something everyday on the HAMB.

I applaud the OP for his effort, and the thread title said SIMILAR, not "copy"...:confused:

18. The front domes are like fence post caps? Not bashing you, just asking...!:)

19. 51stylelinedeluxe

51stylelinedeluxe

pb&j haha,good one. keep building your own stuff,anyone can build a car with a credit card:rolleyes: this site is full of haters:eek:

20. Hey give the kid a break guys. He is doing what he wants with what he has and that is what it is all about.

zzford likes this.
  21. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I like yours better than E&J's. Don't be discouraged, some of these people can't wait to rain on a parade!

22. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Good on your part for making do with what you have. In the end it's what you like and don't worry about what others say.....

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If some of the hot rodders "back in the day" were criticized for trying something new and different, the hobby would have died a long time ago.

He could have simply bolted on a set of Deitz, Guide, or similar headlights like most of us do (including me) but he was willing to roll up his sleeves and build something different and unique. Nice to see some guys are willing to take some extra time and effort in their builds to create parts as opposed to dialing 1-800 and ordering them. The hobby needs more people like this to keep it from getting boring.

Don

Felix 40 likes this.
  24. briz

briz

I like them. And I like the idea of fin or rib details a lot. Just think it out, take your time and get them how you want them.

One question, tho. Are you going to include turn signals or running lights? You could integrate them with the ribs/fins. Might be cool.

25. Maybe you didn't see the post before OP edited both title and text.

zzford likes this.
  26. Good work - I think the lens is OK. Maybe try something different instead of the black plastic trim. A fin or rib will enhance it.

Good on you for trying to fab something yourself instead of reaching for the phone and credit card.

27. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Nice work on building your owns lights. Forgot all the haters, its easy to go out and drop $$$ to buy lights but its another thing to fabricate your own. Tweak them a bit and be proud that you did it yourself.

28. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

I don't think he got hated on too bad, I've seen a lot worse. Good for him to build something on his own, could be a hell of a lot worse.

For example,

Attached Files:

29. I think the shape is great - it's the plastic ring and the protruding, non-textured lens that screams "modern parts used" - if you had a vintage looking diffuser lens and came up with a way to seal it up front that looks old (like a trim ring that would hide the gasket) it would REALLY work.

Using modern parts but making them LOOK old is the key and any successful "new" products are the ones that pull this off.

Steve

30. Man, I like the way you think, and I would rather have your headlights than EJ's because they are one of a kind. I have owned EJ's, like them, but I like one off cool stuff fabricated by guys that are innovative better.
    I admire you a lot more than internet snipers who are all hat and no cowboy.
    Keep trying out stuff that you enjoy doing and be sure to show it here and ignore the naysayers.