Register now to get rid of these ads!

Garage Light

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Feb 7, 2013.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Spent a good part of the day under the transmission area, on jack stands, with my trusty pain in the ass drop light, the old reel cord, half covered incandescent bulb with a hook on top affair. There has got to be a better way, either the thing is blinding me in the face, pointing away from the work or, on the rare occasion, actually providing some useful light where needed.

Just realized I have a portable halogen light that has a swivel base, maybe I'll try that tomorrow but I think it's like 5,000 watts and won't fit in any sort of tight space. What's the hot poop these days in portable wrenching light?

2. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

I like the soft plastic, fluorescent tube. Sears, I think. About ten years old and never fails. DD

3. This is what I use,the back is flat so it doesn't roll over while you working.

Mine has a hook on both ends. HRP

[​IMG]

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Nothing better than the glow of a traditional work light

[​IMG]

5. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I LOVE mine craftman led rechargeable(no cord) also has a magnet that removable and adjustable. I had a shop i used to work at that bought the mechanics snap-on versions of the lights they paid $200 bucks and this light blows the snapon one i got away in every way and I think i paid $20 for mine on sale about a year ago. battery lasts for about a month on a full charge and i use it almost daily best part is I use it all night at cruise ins I use the magnet to attach it under my hood so I dont have to wire up led lights to light my engine bay and worry about draining my battery like all the local rodders do. and this thing is BRIGHT! it has blinded me on several occasions.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6. I like the LED drop lights, Incandescent and halogen lights are a fire hazard around grease and oil.

7. oldolds

oldolds

Do it outside, with the hood open. Never need that drop light!

8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

These lights are GREAT! No heat, magnet on handle, stay lit for hours! They also make a stick shaped one that is also very useful.
    KK

9. Diavolo

Diavolo

I have the hook and cage light just like most that are out there. The difference is I use one of those fluorescent tube bulbs that look like an ice cream. 150 watt equivalent output and there is no filament to break if I get rough with it. Not helpful for rolling around but it puts out so much light I don't have to be precise with it. I can pretty much throw it under the car and see what I am doing without even trying.

[​IMG]

10. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

11. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

LED Drop Light. Been using one for years now. Never go back to the Ouch, burn old style.

12. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

X's 2

13. After the last post on this subject I "retired" mine for that very reason. This one made it into the bed room.

Attached Files:

14. 56FRLN

56FRLN

Blinds you if bumped the wrong way and throws off some heat but does it ever light up the underside of the car nicely.

[​IMG]

15. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

I have one of those. Does yours have a double switch on the back like mine? Although that light is great for general lighting, it's too yellow for taking pictures. And with my old eyes looking at parts close up, I need a combo light, Incandescent and halogen :eek:

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My son got me one of these for Christmas. I like it a lot.

The magnetic base is really handy under the car and it does not eat batteries like I thought it would. :)

Attached Files:

17. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

My shop, 12 x 30' is lit by 8 "shop lights" ( 2, 48" bulbs ea. ) However the bulbs are "Sunlight" bulbs from Home Depot. The walls and the ceiling of my shop are painted gloss white. Great reflectability.

18. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

RIGHT ON!
    That's an awesome idea! I just went through 3 40w bulbs in 20 minutes working under the dash by just merely bumping the light. I'm too cheap to buy a rough-duty and they just melt the plastic cover anyways. Man I'm glad I logged on tonight.

19. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Has anyone tried the led in brim ball caps, seems like a neat idea but I have not got around to getting one yet.

20. These throw some serious light! First time you turn them on leave them on for an hour. Trains them to come on fast, and supposed to make them last longer.

21. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

take a one foot square piece of stainless steel polish iot to a mirror finish.................lay it down on the floor beside your car, tip one side of it up a little........garage lights will bounce off of it and light up the under side of your car..........."cordsess "

22. lawman

lawman

Great "Stuff" Guy's !!!!

23. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

A friend just had his shop burn down thanks to one of these.

24. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

ever since I got one of those L.E.D. chraftsman lights, I've been hooked on it.

25. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

This is only way to go :cool:

Attached Files:

26. Those things have come a long way.

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yes, thanks for all the advice. I'm back out there today with the old drop light, not because I need light, it's a sunny day and all the doors are open. Rather I forgot it's one virtue, I can plug my angle grinder right into it. Think I'll try the florescent bulb in it, great idea. This thread also jogged my memory that I have a small Harbor Freight LED magnetic backed light stuck to the side of my tool box, which I proceeded to used this morning whilst pulling a new return spring that would open a garage door into the bowls of my floor jack that never seems to want to retract without standing on it.

28. msalamanca

msalamanca

Attached Files:

29. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have this Craftsman light and I would only rate it "ok." It's not great for lighting up a general work area because it's not bright enough. It has to be 'aimed' right at the specific work spot, which I sometime don't have the extra hand for. I prefer a bright LED headlamp or something that can be better aimed. Nothing beats a halogen on a stand for lighting up a general area.

30. X3,, they work well.have two of them