Register now to get rid of these ads!

"They" say you can't do that.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mat Thrasher, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Let me start off by saying this is supposed to be fun and not start a shit storm.

I'll see a thread when some asks "can I run solid motor mounts on the street"? You'll get a whole thread of guys saying absolutely not, you're going to shake your teeth out, your car is going to shake itself apart, you're stupid, you're an irresponsible rat rodder and are going to kill yourself!! I will bet that 95% of these guys have no experience and are just regurgitating what they heard.

So here's my list of what "they" say you can't do.

1. Solid motor mounts

I have had 2 cars with solid mounts and truthfully I can't feel shit. I'm not saying these cars felt like a new Lexus. But I've never noticed any vibration I can feel. Plus I've never had anyone in either one of these cars that car oh my god how can you stand that?

I commented on one thread about this very question and got called a rat rodder. :)

2. Spool on the street

Yes, I'm a hooligan that runs a spool. Sure, it takes more space to turn and the tires chirp, but that's about it. (Plus i think it's cool) I've also been caught in the rain and I drove super careful but I made it and if it was bad enough I would of pulled over.

3. if you're an average size human, you can't fit in a chopped and channeled pre-war pickup. (or even a stock one according to some)

My pickup is chopped 6" and channeled 4". I'm 6' and 195 and I think I fit perfect. I think this boils down to a few things.

First off you just can't throw the seat, pedals, and wheel wherever. It takes time and thought to lay everything out so it will work.

Next is what's the final purpose? Not every hot rod is built to drive cross country. I live in Ohio I can be pretty much anywhere in 2-3 hours. I wouldn't have any problem driving my truck that far. With saying that if I changed my motor and rear end gear I'd do a cross country road trip. The point is my truck will do everything it's designed to do.

Lastly, Lets face it a lot of it boils down to what age and what kind of shape you're in. In a week I'll be 37 but I've keep myself in pretty good shape, so I have no issues fitting in my pickup. A lot of my buddies even younger ones that can't fit in my truck comfortably because they're a lot bigger then me. So there's no way they could do more then a few miles. I guess my point is if you're 65 or 25 and 300 lbs, you're right you're not going to fit into a chopped and channeled hot rod comfortably.

PS. I do have to lean forward to see traffic lights.:)

4. if you're running multiple carbs progressive you have to run special carbs with thick bases and the idle circuits blocked off.

My homebuilt 6x2 runs the same exact carbs for all 6 carbs. I think I have it dialed in almost perfect. Maybe it took more work i don't know but it works. I've even had people ask me if it was EFI. Hows that for a testament for how well it works?!

5. Spring behind through the bones

I read these threads and guys will talk about how the bones will fail because they weren't designed to work that way. We're hot rodders we don't do anything the way it was designed. We're supposed to change shit!! Plus, it's been proven for the last 60 years this works, from Doane Spencer to the Rolling Bones. I can't remember anyone saying I know someone's setup that failed.

Ok these are these are the ones I can think of right now. Come on guys add the ones you've heard that "they" said you can't do that!!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  2. Feel better now? :)

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Mat is my hero...:D...no, really...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. cavman

cavman

Just proves to me that if the asker (is that a word?) has to ask if it can be done, maybe He shouldn't do it. Don't mean someone else can't.. :)

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

you need to see Dr. Phil.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In Hot Rodding, as in life in general, there is a limitless number of things you CAN do, but for several good reasons you should consider whether or not you SHOULD do them.

"Getting away" with something doesn't mean it leads to the best outcome, or that your personal circumstances or preferences, or one's willingness to 'settle', is the path others should take without due consideration.

Do what you want..........if you are happy with the outcome......great!

Ray

7. Yep, Regurgitation
    & they hit the seat too.

There's a saying or two about opinions in general and then there's a few about opinions being formed without any first hand experience to base it on.

8. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

i have always wonder whothe heck is "they" ,,because "they" say alot of shit.......

if we all listend to "they" ,then we would all be driving prius' ,smart cars or better yet riding the bus...so, no,, i dont listen to "they"

9. How about build your own axle or drop your own axle.

10. 55willys

55willys

That pretty well sums it up. I am building a 29 closed cab truck chopped 6",1940 lincoln front axle spring hung from the bones, 6v53 blower in front of the radiator like a bentley speed 6, a reverse flow flat head (exhaust and intake ports swapped). A 32 frame with some heavy modifications, T98 trans with T19 gears in it. A quick change rear made out of a 48 ford 3/4 ton rear with aftrmarket wide 5s and drum brakes. Because I can and I don't follow the "hot rod rules" very well. Like "you have to cut the firewall back 4" to fit a small block chevy in a model A". I did it without cutting the fire wall and it has a mechanical fan. I like to build outside the box in a traditional sort of way.:D

11. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Pretty good thread for a young guy.

Can I? Yep and I'll hold your beer.

12. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

my addition.....and Matts truck is BAD ASS....... that is all..... :)

13. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I feel great but it could be the empty 6 pack.

My work here is done!! :)

That's what my wife said!

Steve, I agree on both points. And "they" said you can't run a blown early hemi on the streets on Cleveland. It just won't work! :)

Come on guys no one has anything else to add? Am I the only one?

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Prove em wrong and you will be all the cooler for it:cool: but if it ever breaks or doesnt work, even years down the road "They" will be there to say
    "I told you so":mad:...:(...:D

15. jesse1980

jesse1980

At least he's honest.

16. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Hey hold my Beer, watch this......................

17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You mean, like the guy I once knew who would hold his nose and blow so hard that air bubbles would come out of his tear ducts? You mean like that, Ray? Lol.

OP, I tend to agree with you about the solid motor mounts.

Can't intelligently comment on three carbs all with idle circuits or the spool.

I'm only 5'9" and pretty slim, so fitting isn't a problem for me.

I'd feel a little uneasy with a spring mounted to the bones without some additional strengthening. Kinda "borderline safe" imo...probably fine under normal stresses...but I'd be lookin' for damage after bottoming out a shock real hard. You ever see one that's been cut, and look at the wall thickness?...not real hefty. Wishbones were designed for linear stresses, not heavy side loads.

18. firingorder1

firingorder1

I've always found it amazing what you can do when you don't know you can't do it.

19. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Willys,

I've been quietly following your thread. It's not easy to do something different and keep it traditional. I think you have a great idea to do just that. Keep it up I'll be following along.

Young guy, Thank you! maybe this thread is my mid-life crisis.

Thanks Bill, I think I at the very least own you a ride.

20. Yep !

Hey Matt, how about the brakes on spindle mounts, that's a slick set up you are running.
    And someTHEY is always saying that can't be done.

21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

:D Now theres a tag line;)

22. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

THAT'S THE TRUTH!! and the point of the whole thread!

"They" say it can't be done, so don't even try it!

23. 1arock

1arock

How about roller cams, tunnel rams, and open exhaust. Also hard tail bikes,maybe thats why my back is in such bad shape?

24. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I personally think having a spool is annoying and a pain in the ass.
    Which is why I'm changing mine out to a normal differential.
    Was going to go with posi, but my wallet talked me out of it.
    Besides, I'm not planning on doing any intense off-roading or drag racing.
    I got over my locker when it caused me to spin into a curb/ledge. I guess my throttle pedal pressure had something to do with that as well :eek:

Only listen to "they" if you respect "they" and "they" have experience with what they're talking about.

25. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

I'll take you up on that next time!

Later,Bill

26. 1arock

1arock

My grand dad always said "It's amazing what you can do when you don't know no better."

27. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

At least we tried, right? Of course "they" will say that, it makes them feel better.

That's cool, I've got 2 parachutes built into my setup. I've got stops under the the radiator and the shocks would stop it if the spring failed. I'm definitely not saying be stupid but at the same time the sky is not falling if you fun a spring behind.

Hell yes firing order! That's the truth, if we all just sat back and didn't try anything how boring would life be?

"They" told me no, but I did it anyway. :)

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure can't argue with that.

29. Matt; "You can't do that" always seemed to be an invitation to make it happen for me. I've made a few mistakes, while trying to do something I knew nothing about. Learned a lot in my 67 years, looking to learn more....by doing. Thanks for the thread. Tim

30. When you get your list full, tack it to the wall with pride.