Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you pay for this 1958 Chevey Apache

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheDayDreamer, Jan 12, 2013.

1. TheDayDreamer

TheDayDreamer
    from Phoenix

So I am in the market for a 1958-59 Apache Fleetside project truck. Ideally I would want something without rust but thats tough to find. I recently came across this truck. 1958 Fleetside big window. According to the owner, the 350 engine is recently rebuild and the 350 automatic tranny is new. Also, the owner says the truck has working power windows and power steering which he was told came with the truck and that he had a pretty rare truck because of those options. Where these ever factory options? Anyways, it's supposedly a very well running truck but has rust in the cab corners. The truck is 2 hours from me so I have not seen it in person to verify the extent of the rust. What would you pay for a truck in this condition based on the info provided?

Attached Files:

2. The always hated what's it worth thread.

It's worth what you are will to pay. HRP

3. Chiefpontiac77

Chiefpontiac77

Gotta agree with 'primer. Go take some cash and haggle it out. Its a cool truck, Work a deal. Your lucky its only two hours away. Good luck

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are not making any new ones. You WILL pay more for a better one, and that one will need work too. How much work are you willing to do to it to make it the way that you want it, and how much do you have to spend? That is what it is worth.

5. oldolds

oldolds

I am from PA. That would be an almost no rust truck around here. Around here that would command a big price. People here would talk like that is worth in excess of $5000. unless I am selling it then they would do me a favor and give me crusher price and save me the gas money of taking it there myself!

6. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, perspective.

Where I come from, it is rusty.:eek: It should look better for Arizona. Use that as leverage in your bargaining.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is exactly whatwas thinking.

10. haychrishay

haychrishay

What's it weigh? And the power steering and power windows aren't factory !

11. haychrishay

haychrishay

Is that about a penny a pound ?

12. Check above the windshield and the drip rails, often hidden rust there. Also the sills, floorboards, and inner fenders. You can find more info HERE.

13. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

1500 to 2000 bet it will have more rust than you think they always do.

Jake

14. Rude Dude

Rude Dude

You should make a new guy introduction before you get slammed on the forum. I agree that steering box looks like a clipped front end and no it doesn't look like power window's. Asking for price is up to how much you want to pay for it. I have seen fleetsides go from 2500 to 5000 here in Cali and Arizona. You have to consider he has done some mods that you wont need to do. It is a rough truck so around that ball park. The motor looks like an early 60's with an HEI distributor. So you might want to check engine code other wise no to shabby.:)

15. sololobo

sololobo

Nice truck, you are not getting a rust free truck for nuthin. And although I see rust for a 58 as previously stated thats practically rust free. Balls up and make your own decision, hard to ask us what to pay for a truck with a couple of pix. Neat trucks so go for it. ~sololobo~

16. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Rust is very rarely isolated to only cab corners. I see some on the outer door skins; which means the door bottoms are probably going to have some. Other areas that get rusted on these trucks are the lower door hinge pockets and running boards.

I would not pay much for it and honestly think you can do better. Be patient and be willing to travel farther; you'll find a no rust one.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. Arizona is your friend. Be patient.

18. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Those never came with either PW or PS !!! Pass if over $1500 and then olny if yu can fix the rust issues yourself.

19. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

With all the rust showing in the pictures I would bet there is far more. You say you are looking for one that has little or no rust. If I were you i would keep looking.

20. you must not want it to bad,a good chance it will get gone by the time you get back to it. they quite making them back in 59

21. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

See how low you can haggle him down. It's been modified, and you don't know who worked on it or if they did it right, so assume everything that was added over the years is incorrect. That way there are no unpleasant surprises later...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. ev88f

ev88f

Only consider it if they throw in that sweet keychain! I'd look at it for 1500 or so. Your location is the deal breaker there as you could be looking at other dry trucks for not much more

23. I bid $1 Bob...

24. deto

deto

Buy it so you can start a second thread in 2 days bitching about how rust infected your new purchase is.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. Include the cost for your tetanus shot in the purchase price.

26. BobG

BobG

That's not rust.... Warm dry desert air has you guys out west spoiled.
    Here in the Midwest we would kill for a truck that nice.
    Honestly I've had guys from your area tell me the car were dealing with has rust only to find it's surface rust.

We have shit here so rusted out you could throw a cat through it

The scrappers have just about done away with all of our classic cars and trucks for the all mighty scrap dollar.
    Our nice stuff would probably be a marginal parts vehicle for some of you guys.
    Bob in Rust Country

27. repairmanrod

repairmanrod
    from colorado

I bought a 55 second series here in Colorado 4 years ago that was running unmolested. The only rust is in the pax door bottom and the cab corners other than that no other rust.. I bought it for $1500.00 then.

Rod

28. TheDayDreamer

TheDayDreamer
    from Phoenix

Damn, some bitter people on this form. Obviously anything is only worth what you are willing to pay, that's why I asked "what would you pay". Just trying to get an idea of what this truck might be worth. Thanks to those that provided constructive feedback.

Anyways, the asking price is $4500 which sounds like too much based on the response from those willing to help. I guess i'll pass on this one. Thank you...to some of you?

29. BobG

BobG

That's a decent looking ol truck for that kind of money, $4500 is really a good deal if it runs and drives.
    I really think there's still money left on the table if you can buy it for that.

30. Willy_P

Willy_P

Does it have a clear title?
    Willy_P