Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *** Update (w/ pics) 48 chevy truck project from hell ***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flipper, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Any guesses as to what the odds are that I did not kill the motor? better than 50/50?

2. nexxussian

nexxussian

I'm sure the water came out as fast as it could, how soon did you get it shut down?

3. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I cut it off within 15 seconds of the massive cloud of steam forming.

4. nexxussian

nexxussian

Probably not catastrophic, but check the compression when you get a chance to know for sure about the rings.

Good luck

5. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Good news. I did not kill the motor. I adjusted the valves with the motor running and it is doing much better.

I think my screw up was in the initial valve adjustment (too much preload?). When the RPMS came up, I would float a couple of the exhaust valves just a little. Not really sure why none of the intake valves floated (no backfire in the intake, just a lot of popping down the pipes).

The new cam is a LOT calmer than the cam that I pulled out (doesn't hit nearly as hard). It runs really good and has decent power....maybe the truck will get more than the 10-12 mpg that I am used to.

4500 miles on the truck so far.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  6. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Kinda thinking about swapping the cab and front sheetmetal out for the 3 window that is in the shop.

....something that could be painted and could be sealed up tight enough to have airconditioning. :)

7. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I was in Memphis this weekend and took the truck out Saturday afternoon/night. Me and my son drove around downtown Memphis checking out the scenery and then went and hung out on Summer Ave until after midnight. It had been 15 or so years since I just hung out there and it was Alex's first time.

Over 5700 miles on it now.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know how I never spotted the thread before but the truck looks good and sounds dead nuts reliable now that the bugs are worked out.

The cab swap thing isn't a bad idea, you could fully redo the other cab before swapping and have it all ready to swap. You might miss those quarter windows though as there is a blind spot there in the three windows.

9. I am really starting to Jones over that flatbed. Never cared for them in the past.

10. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

I hate and love those wheels at the same time.
    Can't wait to see Roofus next to your truck at future shows.

Jeff

11. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I've always dug your avatar. I'm glad I ran across this thread. I sooo dig those wheels.

Glad you are out and enjoying it!

12. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

The wheels are strange. Sometimes they look like 17's and other times they look like 22's; it all depends on the lighting and what the surroundings are as to how big they look.

Over all, I'm happy with them. I've had those wheels for five years now and haven't found anything that I think I would work better on the truck.

When I bought them, the smallest size they came in was a 20. Now they come in smaller sizes. A 18 on the front would probably look better, but not enough of a change to justify the cost for me.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  13. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

When we were at Frog Follies I was thinking "crap, this makes the 3rd year with the truck basically the same. I need to have the boat tail finished for next year".

I was thinking of it replacing the truck. I never considered taking two :)

14. rickman454

rickman454
    from Marion, IA

Awesome truck! It was one of the inspirations that led me to buy a '48 4100 (BIG Bolt). I'm doing the flatbed as well (except between the wheels and on a dually). Could you please measure the distance between the bottom of the beltline and the top of your flatbed? The height on the 'bed is perfect and I'm looking for a starting point for my build.

15. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

The way we did ours was to build the truck and then position the bed just above the tires.

Not sure what tire size you are planning on running, but I imagine that would be the best game plan unless you are going to be running 32" rear tires and have the same front ride height. In my opinion, bed height is one of those things you tweak to fit everything else.

16. wild willey

wild willey

Thanks fer the thread!! Your Lil' pick up is da KAT AZZ!!!

17. mattlowe

mattlowe

great thread! thanks

18. malibloc

malibloc

Bitchn wheels and even a better patina, truck is awesome man!!

19. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I'm done with the rust thing. This winter I am going to swap cabs and make this a nicer truck.

Don't get me wrong, it has been fun, but I think I can improve on it (and I happen to have a great cab in the barn).

Right now, I'm thinking about sectioning it forward of the doors. Something like 1.5 inches through the hood, raising the fenders by the same amount, and trimming an inch or two from the bottom of the trailing side of the fender. The truck will go down a couple more inches also.

Currently thinking about keeping it a flatbed, but it will be redone with nicer wood (maybe sheetmetal sides under the flatbed).

20. Ramathorne

Ramathorne

Good luck! Trying to build up the courage to start a flatbed project myself.

'41 Ford 1.5-ton

21. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Go for it! I think flatbeds are cool.

22. And you don't have to worry about centering the rear wheel in the fender.

23. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Went to the Turkey Drags in Byhalia, MS

[​IMG]

and got picked as one of the "Sweet Seven"

[​IMG]

24. hell yeah that is sick. Your truck has lots of character. it deserves it. I love the mirrors, I def wanna come up on set of those. I have one, I just need another.

25. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

The truck ran an 8.50 in the eighth (two tenths better than the first time I had it at the track). That supposedly equates to a 13.25 in the quarter.

26. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Having a flatbed is handy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I happened to notice some fresh rubber on the back of the cab. Y'all think dad has been beating on it?

[​IMG]

under the bed, above the tire
    [​IMG]

27. What a great build, I think the only thing I would have done different is paint the interior. But I like the patina on the outside.

28. Waldoz

Waldoz

I probably missed it but did you do anything to the stock s10 suspension? I love the stance.

29. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

front coils were trimmed a little (about a full turn if I remember correctly)

30. Luke4554

Luke4554

Love this truck.. any plans on running the step boards at some point?

Luke