Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Gasser Reunion 2013, Changes more Hamb Friendly!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don Moyer, Dec 20, 2012.

1. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Here is a pre-war gasser, my '31 Chevy.

Attached Files:

• HB1.jpg
      HB1.jpg
      File size:
      260.2 KB
      Views:
  2. I love it, and no problem, now are you going to make the trip?

3. LZ

LZ

Very nice Derrick. Good shot of you here boiling the hydes.:cool:
    http://www.fastpast.ca/ondr/Event_Albums/Pages/Photos.html#75

I hope people can work together here . Its not like the days past were there are cars in every neighborhood anymore. Hate to see this type of racing get fragmented to the point of state such as our governments in. If we could get the different groups. Southern Gassers, GRS, ONDR, Dons deal etc,etc. to get a like format, it would make things better. Even though there still would be wounded souls. At least you know you wouldn't be towing spending money only to be racing in a situation you don't like. Or you can adjust for.
    Someone said earlier that a car was not allowed to run because it had stock suspension and not a straight axle???:confused: This is incredulous.
    Speaking of rules. Why are the rules not posted on the GRS site anymore??
    http://www.gasserracingseries.com/#!

Luke

4. LZ, GRS is making some rules changes. Go to GRS News on their website.

5. Because they never really followed their old rules.

Maybe now they will, but then, time and car count will tell for sure.

6. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

My calender is open & I've started my travel fund. It is on my " to do " list.

7. Crazy Grandpa

Crazy Grandpa
    from Ohio

Don good luck with the Gasser Reunion, I have no doubt you will do a great job. Can't wait for June, see ya there.

8. Crazy Grandpa

Crazy Grandpa
    from Ohio

Would this be in the Nostalgia Gasser class ???

Attached Files:

9. Outstanding!

10. yes!!!

11. Avatar picture looks low, where does it sit ?

edit; after looking at your album picture it looks like it is right on the line and is one cool car

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  12. fastfred1933

fastfred1933
    from usa

Losers always finding a reason!

13. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Man, I can't stop drooling over the pic of your vet!

14. fastfred1933

fastfred1933
    from usa

This pissing match seems useless. The facts are: 1) The English Bros XKE and MG surely did not fit into the gasser class. 2) The Vett is a AACA certified historic race car. 3) All three cars made it into the semis and finals, not because they were different or low slung. They out drove everyone that day. 4) Watch the videos, look at the ETs. I know you lost in the trird round to the Vett when you cut a .264 light to a .028 for the Vett. Beaver Bob has RT and ET records and the design of tye cars had nothing to do with the outcome of the race.
    Here's what the sport doesn't need: Pissed-off participants, lower car counts, and spectator's boredom from lack of variety.
    I've heard from racers who are not participating in this years event, as well as postings from racers not planning to attend due to the changes.
    It's simple, I'll send a box of nails to finish hammering down the coffin lid.

15. fastfred1933

fastfred1933
    from usa

This pissing match is useless. The facts are: The English Bros XKE and MG did not fit into the gasser class. 2) The Vett is an AACA certified historic race car. 3) All three cars made it to the semis and finals NOT because they were different or low slung. They out drove everyone that day. Point in fact, in the third round Don's light was a .264 the Vett was .028, no mystery there! 4) Watch the videos, look at the RT and ETs. Beaver Bob has complete records of the event.
    Here's what the sport doesn't need: Pissed-off participants, lower car counts, and spectator's boredom from a lack of variety.
    I've heard from racers who will not attend the event as well as the postings of racers not planning to participate.
    You just need a few more nails to finsh hammering down the lid on the coffin.
    Big mistake!

16. slammed

slammed

^^^^No intro? You just jump in and make some noise?

17. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I’m not a racer and honestly I’m not a huge race fan. But I know enough about it that if it’s a large field you want and real fan entertainment you’re going to have to find a good outlaw strip and allow cars that raced back in the day on those strips to race. There are hundreds of them out here in the real world. The trouble is most of them couldn’t pass tech in a hundred years! And most of them aren’t really that fast but they are the most entertaining cars to watch there is.

Sure, there are a few of you guys with big bank rolls with famous cars or recreated famous cars that have reinvented the wheel. But it’s really a very limited number of you. For every one show stopper there are tens of old barn storming outlaw “gassers” that are having a blast at the local outlaw vintage venues around the country on any given weekend.

Many of the cars your calling “gassers” are so far removed from the grass roots cars of yesteryear you have completely lost sight of their roots. The truth is all of the fans didn’t used to come out to see the big name winners, most of them were there to watch guys who’s names you have never heard. To read some of these post a body would think your Indy car drivers!

18. Wow!

Well all I've got to say to this is, that it looks like someone has real balls to not sugar-coat their statement and tell it like it really is, FNG or not. This FNG appears to know more than he's showing and obviously was there.

19. Crazy Grandpa

Crazy Grandpa
    from Ohio

20. Crazy Grandpa

Crazy Grandpa
    from Ohio

21. 1A. "This pissing match is useless." Thanks for joining in!

1B. "The English Bros XKE and MG did not fit into the gasser class."
    No, they do not fit in either class this year, they will race in the open/altered car class.

2. "The Vett is an AACA certified historic race car." AACA needs to update its certifications.

3. "All three cars made it to the semis and finals NOT because they were different or low slung. They out drove everyone that day. Point in fact, in the third round Don's light was a .264 the Vett was .028, no mystery there!" I appreciate the personal attack. If you knew me, you would know that I am there to have fun and show off, winning does not really matter to me. I made my car as close to an old car that the rules would allow. My car is ill handling and inconsistent. That is why I don't bracket race it. The vette is a very consistent more modern vehicle and Lew is a very seasoned driver, a very potent combination. These rules were not made to attack Lew, but to basically put the bracket cars in one group, and the antique more ill handling cars in another group.

4." Watch the videos, look at the RT and ETs. Beaver Bob has complete records of the event." The event is a show/reunion, not a national event or bracket race.

Here's what the sport doesn't need: Pissed-off participants, lower car counts, and spectator's boredom from a lack of variety.
    I've heard from racers who will not attend the event as well as the postings of racers not planning to participate.
    You just need a few more nails to finsh hammering down the lid on the coffin.
    Big mistake![/QUOTE]

The big mistake is not going! Last year there were pissed off participants! Last year many cars did not go because of the advantages the lower more modern cars have and the handicap style of racing. The event was won by the same car 2 years in a row. (and I bet he wins again in the different class) There will be more variety if more cars come, you Pissing and moaning about change is what this sport does not need any more of.

22. fastfred1933

fastfred1933
    from usa

You really don't get this.
    No personal attacks, just facts.
    Frist the 38,000 members of the AACA are not going to update their cerifications on your say.
    Spectators arrive to see a race, not a car show, otherwise hold the event at Wal-mart.
    Your car was no more ET inconsistant than any of the other participants at the Reunion Race. Racers with the motivation to "Show-off" is great...But don't blame short-commings on the stance of an opponent's car.
    No one has as much fun at the Reunion Race than the Gasser Gang from NY. Well organized club with great cars. Your purposed changes will alienate them. The East Coast Gassers group will also be splintered for the Reunion Race under the new changes.
    Last word on the English Brothers. They did not create the circumstances placing them in the gas class. You could not find a better group of racers.
    No one is getting rich racing at the club level, it's all for fun. Eliminating competitors has some negative effects for everyone.
    Again, nothing personal. I don't agree, you wanted feedback.
    I'll send the nails to the track.

23. chevy3755

chevy3755

well good luck....Don looks like you got a FULL plate man......i still like the event at MCR when you show....as a spectater its a hoot........just my 2 cents wothe.....

24. Well if I had to guess, I'd say that "fastfred1933" is from NY and a member of the GRS that beats to their own drum too by allowing "friends" to run even though the cars don't fit "the rules".

The bottom line is that ALL these groups need to get together and form a more unified rule system and follow them! Not just taylor rules to what or how they think they would like them to be.

Don, I feel your pain! I've run many events in my days and "yes", you will never make everybody happy. But the task of putting on a great event is to piss off as few as possible. Be professional and diplomatic about decisions or you will piss off many, please a handfull and attendance will suffer.

25. chevy3755

chevy3755

as a spectater i hope this doesnt become a pissin match....i go to see cars....gassers of all kinds....im not a racer....but i sure like them

26. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

As a new racer to the nostalgia gasser racing, i personally am very excited for the upcoming year. I plan on having alot of fun this year, isn't that what this is all about?

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I fail to see why some people are getting their panties in a twist about? Seems some people are forgetting that they can run regardless of height, as long as it's not too new. I also find it interesting that those who have posted here for years about how ill handling, and dangerous a nose high gasser car is, now want to run next to that same style of car? Why wouldn't any gasser with an aerodynamically lower chassis want to run next to another car built to the same style?
    There's always going to be people who get pissed because they want to run at an event, even though their cars don't meet the rules for that event, but this isn't stopping anyone from running, it's just putting two styles of gassers in their similar groups.

28. Right, I don't get it. I don't care about the AACA ( Hershey is a great swap meet ) at the Gasser Magazine Gasser Reunion! Anyone can pay to be a member of the AACA, you claim they have 38,000 members, so, the HAMB has over 200,000 monitored members! Do you race at the Reunion? Show us your car! Or are you a spectator? Do you work the gate and get feedback from everyone that comes through that gate? Are you a member of any group for which you speak for? Splintered? Really? We are going to separate the 2 styles of cars. The main goal is to stop some of the bickering that has gone on for years. If I wanted to compete with race car, why on earth would I use antique technology for that race car? You are thinking like your at a track meet where everything is on the driver and the machine has nothing to do with it! The notion of consistency really has nothing to do with nostalgia racing. Back then they were always trying to go faster, not cut a number. I have no problem with bracket racing, they keep the tracks open, if it was not for them, we all would have no where to play. This event is not for them. It is about having fun, meeting folks, and playing with old race cars. Now we realize that some folks want to win, so we have some rules to try and make it a little more even. The Gasser Gang does have a lot of fun, and I like them. I am pretty sure they will still have lots of fun. I have no beef with the English Bros. or anybody else for that matter. I was asked to do a job, (that needed to be done) and I am doing what I feel is best for the hobby as a whole. I am (please read the whole thread so I can stop repeating myself) not eliminating anyone! Just re-organizing what cars will race what cars.

29. Me too!

30. Yep!