Register now to get rid of these ads!

My first 32 Chevy build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carl5Coupe, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Heat in GA.....Really?

Ya coming up here for a visit?
    hahaha

2. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Naa
    You can have them cold temps, I just want to keep moma warm when she wants to go out to dinner, We use the car a good bit so why not ride in style. :) :cool:

3. Carl the machine! Good goin' man.

4. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Lookin' GREAT Carl! Couldn't have said it better! Why drive the boring late model when YOU CAN drive in style! I remember those days back in '96, my coupe was outside while a '67 Nova SS was in the garage under restoration... A Blizzard hit us on Long Island, New York in January, burying the 'ol girl with a foot of snow (no hood of coarse). Just fired her up till the snow melted, also having to use an electric heater pointed real close to my trans so the tranny oil would not "thicken" up and after 10 minutes, she'll get out of first gear!!! I was fearless, fish tailin' all over the place till she staightened out!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  5. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

So I'm working on the heater and starting to gather up some parts, here is the start of it. I cut the fan blower out of a ford heater box my son got from pull-a-part. Its a start.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Carl, if you add some seat heater wires to that, you'll keep Deb warm!
    That's all Bart, Green Mtn Boy's Father has in his '32 Roadster. And I copied him, and got upholstery guy to put them in the seats in my Roadster before I installed. Just ain't hooked up yet.

7. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Maybe when the seats are done. I plan on recovering them this summer.

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That's the logical plan, wait till just before you pull the seats, order the heater wires from Summit, and carry them to upholster guy together.

9. yeah Carl put in some seat warmers that way it will be warm when your ready

10. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

So scrap all the other stuff, Spent 3 hrs in Pull-A-Part yesterday and found that conversion vans have back heater and air systems, I brought two home and one was able to fit up nicely. Should have it plumbed in today. I spent last night fitting it, mounting it and working out some details.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. n847

n847

Good tech here!

12. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Heater is in, plumbed up and duct installed. Hope to give it a try Tuesday or Wednesday night. I put in two defrosters and one center heater duct. It fit great under the dash and didn't take but two 18 packs. I'm going to repair the dash also while its out and repaint it. By the weekend should be back on the road. The home depot shut off valves worked out great. I will post a picture of the motor plumbing after it's cleaned up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Dang Carl, that's gittin' 'er done! Toasty, toasty,....

14. Roll eyes. You don't even get he little picture this time.

15. Tony, I'd say your Model A will have the advantage at the contest of speed. All that weight plus the negative forward effect from the defroster fan. He probably slowed down a couple tenths.

16. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

17. Nice work Carl! Toasty Coupe for those cool Georgia nights.

18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Carl, now that the coupe is toasty warm, you have no excuse for you and Deb not showing up this Sunday @ Lucky's!

19. redstraw

redstraw
    from tn

nice coupe man just got a 37 coupe myself cant wait to get started on it.your thread is very inspirational .thanks for sharing.

20. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Really enjoying this thread! Love the build some, drive some approach you taken. May as well enjoy and get inspired as you go along. Sound great as well.

21. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Well today Sucked
    Deb and I went for a ride and things were going great when a heater hose came off. Did i say inside the car? Yeah that sucked. Gallons of anti freeze in the car, all over us, on the roof, in the doors. Just everywhere. So now I have to pull the seats and carpet and hose it all down. I have been wanting to lower the seats so I guess it's time. A day to remember for sure. Things to remember, when installing heater hoses in your car, always tighten the clamps.

22. Oh man! Hope you didn't get burned. Bad news right there.

23. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

No burns, but yeah that could have been bad. :rolleyes: Water was not that hot as it was a cool day and we were ripping down 400 south at a moderate 75 MPH in 5th gear. The funny thing was when I closed the valve that was on the hose the valve popped off to. Boink!!! :eek: The valve in now on the floor. :mad: Thank goodness for coolers of melted ice and beer left from the night. After I put everything back together I poured the cooler water in the radiator real slow and we cleaned up a bit and headed on back down the road. We spent about 20 minuets in the gas station cleaning up the car and trying to get that antifreeze off us. Kinda funny in its own little way. I'm talking a 5/8 heater hose uncapped shooting right in your face. Wow, now that is something you don't see every day and hope to never see again. :D

24. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

You know we could have went home after that since we were covered from the waist down with antifreeze but we trudged on and went to lunch with the gang at Lucky's, hell why not?? Here is where the fun is on Sundays for lunch.
    A short video at Lucky's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjQuQ_JuqNk

25. oldman2

oldman2

Carl, all I can say is you always seem to take things better than I would. Glad everyone is OK and no burns....Jim

26. Yeah when you closed the valve you put pressure on the joint. Why were you closing the valve? Was it too hot in there? :D

27. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Sorry to hear that, Carl. Glad no one was hurt, the car can be cleaned. That's a story that will be funier as time goes by and you will wish you had a video of it. Jim

28. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  29. Carl, glad you're both OK. That's a tough way to stay warm!
    Tom

30. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Yep
    Still going, Loving the ride man, Hot Rodin Beats the hell out of a VW, Still love them but no way as fast and cool! Took mama out to dinner tonight at the Steak House to make up for valentines day as I was a bit under the weather that day. But anyway, Did some work to finish up the dash after putting in the heater, Moved the gauges around, Did some welding on the dash and fill in the rust pits with bondo and painted it. Looks pretty cool. I also finished out the dash with another piece of trim from good old pop. he told me that it came out of a house built in 1936. Looks pretty cool I would say as it brings it all together now. So check it out and hope that summer is here soon. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013