Register now to get rid of these ads!

My first 32 Chevy build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carl5Coupe, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Carl you are a mechanical geeenius !

2. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Yeah well, I gave it a good go at it tonight but ran into one big snag, the friggen glass was opaque! WTF, well I cant bitch as it was free. I'm taking the templets I made and sending them off and they will make me some real glass out of the templets. So give me a week and the real deal will be in the door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  3. oldman2

oldman2

Looking good for the set-up....Jim

4. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Nice, Carl. Leave that opaque glass, it'll make people wonder what you're up to in there:D

5. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Naaa
    You think I would get a ticket for tint? I wonder what I would get for this?

The slammer I'm sure.

6. n847

n847

Good work as usual!

7. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Great thread. Love the videos!

8. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

So last week the glass came in. I didn't think it would fit since when installed it didn't want to go up and down so they got put aside till I had some to to work with them. That weekend we went to the drags hoping to turn some good times with the new motor. We packed it up and headed out last Saturday morning for the Nostalgia Drags@ Reynolds, GA. Well I can say it was an interesting day of racing and a great night of partying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are videos so give them a click.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  9. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

It was a much better weekend then I had this past spring when I killed my motor. here is a link to the thread with all the fun.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725522&page=14&highlight=rwyb

I ended up with ET of 12.48 at 108 MPH. Not bad for a fist time racer.

So now I'm back home and had the day off after spending the weekend at a VW Hippie gathering. I love those old VWs. I put the door windows in today and it went so smooth that I didn't even get to take pictures. So here they are. Deb and I went for a ride and since it was like 60 degrees today it was a nice windless ride. They roll up and down just fine but I don't know how to keep them from tilting when I roll them up. Well with a little help they do just fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  10. Carl, great job on the windows. 12.48 is great for a street car. I watched the videos and it must have been a fun ride. Tom

11. oldman2

oldman2

Way to go Carl, car sounds great, windows look good...Jim

12. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Thanks guys
    It was a good way to end summer and kick in some good ridding weather of fall in the 50s and 60s.

13. Cool shots from Reynolds, very glad to hear you kept the parts inside the motor this time.

DOM won a prize?

14. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

He did, DOM got the ( Hard Luck Award ) since his roadster died before it made it. Dam I hate that when that happens.

15. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hey Carl! Damn you got my adrenaline pumped up for at least 5 minutes after seeing your blown coupe at the drags on video recently!! She sounds awesome and 12 seconds in a hot rod that YOU built along with your friends is surely a continued pride to enjoy!!!

16. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Thanks Mike
    The videos are so cool. Nothing like being in the drivers seat. It was agreat day and I hope to do it again in the spring.

I watch the videos every day. They work great when you save them to your computer.

I just bought some more gauges from Summit so I will get them in this week.

17. merking56

merking56
    from NJ

Nice build, good looking car! I like the way you cut out for your window crank

18. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Ok Debby speaking here (Carls wife) A while back we hooked up the speedo and I wanted to post it on this thread so I can help other folks with this issue.
    I just didn't know how to go about it with a T5 transmission. I've read that some people swap out the tail but I didn't want to do that. So here is what I did.
    I was told to work from the speedometer back when finding parts. My speedo needs 16 pulses. So I went to ebay and bought a speedometer sender made by Autometer model 5291 ($65.00) Then I went to http://www.thegearbox.org and bought a T5 drive gear ($11.00) and a speedo housing ($6.95) They have a lot of drive gears to choose from so to figure out what I needed when I removed the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) from the tranny and counted the teeth on that gear.
    Thats all I needed. Basicly by removing the VSS the tranny is now mechanical instead of electric. Then I put the drive gear in the housing and put it where the VSS was. Attach the Autometer sender (now it's converted back to electric with the correct pulses for my speedo) Then I wired it to the back of the SW and hooked up 12v power.
    It works great. Carl clocked it with a GPS and the speed is perfect.
    Super easy.
    Photos will follow soon

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  19. oldman2

oldman2

ALRIGHT Debby, way to go, nice write up.:cool: OK Carl, treat this lady right, or someone will steal her away from you;);)...Jim

20. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

OK, I have to show MY wife your post, Debby!

21. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Hay guys
    Im still working on the car but not posting what I have done, What I have done is put a Boost gauge in for the blower, I'm hitting 10lbs and I also put in a new gas tank for a VW bus. It is a 15 gal tank and also has a gas gauge. That is cool having a gas gauge. I also put in a rear deck mount flip top gas fill. Deb has been striping and is doing pretty good. I will post some of her work as she moves on with enough to post. She is working on the dash tonight so we will see how that turns out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. damn....that keeps looking better and better ever time you post pics. Keep on it brother

23. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Thanks Jeff
    What is cool is Deb is now playing with striping and before I get any paint on the car she is free to do what ever she wants, Maybe by the time its painted she will have done enough to put some stripes on the finished paint. Gata love that.

24. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Looking good for sure!

25. Looking good Carl, looks like you and Deb enjoyed the holidays!
    Tom

26. I sure am enjoying how your ride is "evolving", especially as you have been using it all along.

27. oldman2

oldman2

Carl, glad to see that your still working on the car, updates look good...Jim

28. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Looks great, Carl! You haven't posted in a while, glad you're still working on her. Happy New Year! Jim

29. Looks good Carl now we can go 150 miles with out stoping for gas

30. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Thanks Guys, heat is next as it is winter you know. I should have all the parts within the next week.