Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rock & Roll Radio History: New Year's Eve With Wolfman Jack !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Dec 30, 2010.

1. The '60s in Southern California were legendary, Wolfman Jack show came on the air (250,000 watts) at midnight on XERB out of Tijuana and we would cruise all the hot spots until dawn. Parents didn't want thier kids listening to him, people argueing whether he was black or not, all we knew was that he was cool! I still listen to him in my shop and car almost daily. If you can find them pick up the Wolfman Jack's "Let's Cruise" CD's, volume 1 & 2, for a small taste of what it was like back then. Another good one is "The Legendary Wolfman Jack Howlin On The Air" CD that has a number of actual XERB Radio airchecks from '68-'70 mixed in with the music. As the Wolfman liked to say "get yo'self nekked" and listen to the music...
    R.I.P. Bob Smith

Thanks Jonnie King for all you do. Happy New Year!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  2. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Grumpy...

You are so right ! The XERB Days were Classic ! He knew his music totally, and his persona was a perfect creation that can't be duplicated. And, their signal was phenominal !
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage25.html

NOTE TO ALL...

HERE'S AN EXCERPT THAT I'VE HAD STASHED AWAY:

IT'S PAUL Le MAT (JOHN MILNER) WITH A TRULY COOL STORY ABOUT "WOLFMAN JACK".

IT'S SHORT, SWEET, AND, GREAT INFO FROM PAUL ON THE "AMERICAN GRAFFITI" CAST AND ON THE "WOLFMAN" & SUZANNE SOMERS:
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage33.html

AGAIN, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO HAMBERS EVERYWHERE !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

Attached Files:

3. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

[​IMG]
    .......Have Mercy!: The Original Rock 'N' Roll Animal!... Howooool!

4. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

[​IMG]

Jeff...

Your words are very true. Sadly the man who owned "Juke Box 96" Radio (the station I was at when the "Wolfman" called me) was a friend of mine for 40 years, and passed away last Friday night, Dec. 28th.

His name was RICHARD MILLER, and he was a Legendary St. Louis Radio Station Owner & Executive...he was also a friend of the "Wolfman's". So I'll dedicate this Post in his honor.

R.I.P. Richard. Thanks for your help & support through the years. This one's for you R.J:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  5. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Sorry to hear Jonnie, hard to lose dear old time friends. As long as we keep them in our memories,
    they live on.
    I'm giving a toast to Richard Miller...and, to Robert Weston Smith!

6. x2...

7. Zerk

Zerk

Just wanted to say thanks for the lift this thread gave me. The Wolfman is definitely one of the bright lights of our time.

8. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Sorry to hear Jonnie ,we're all getting to that point where unfortunately it's going to happen more and more.

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Just got back from a party,the tv was on with who ever took over for Dick Clark and the groups they had on I did not know who they were. I guess they are aiming for the younger crowd but I wish there was something for us that are a bit older. I must be getting old and can not believe I am going to say this but I would rather watch reruns of the old Guy Lombardo new years eve programs then what is on now and it drove me nuts since my parents liked watching his show and at the time could not stand that kind of music he performed.

10. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

That's so cool I meet him in Modesto Cal. ....very cool....

11. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

12. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

13. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

WOW what a memory this thread just brought back, cruising Bellflower Blvd headed to Harveys Broiler listening to the Wolfman in the 60's. Life is GOOD !!!!!!!!!

14. I lived 1 block north & 1 block east of Paramont & Alondra Blvds back in '68 & early '69, I cruised a slammed white with flat green '55 Buick Special 2 dr Hardtop. Have mercy...

15. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Rocky, 1stGrumpy, Hotrodbuilderny, Zerk, 60'srailjob, Old Roadster, junkyardjeff...

Thanks for your kind thoughts...always sad to lose a friend anytime, but during the Holidays it's worse. And, my friend, Richard Miller's passing has truly left a void in my life.

I agree with you too Jeff, about Dick Clark's successor to the "NYE Countdown". Dick was another that I met & knew from many years ago.

Dick Clark was one of my earliest "heroes" of Broadcasting and, along with the "Wolfman", Casey Kasem, and, Johnny Rabbitt here in St. Louis helped mold-and-shape my career and my desire to do what I do today. Always striving to "do it better"...and remembering that "You never do this alone".

If it wasn't for all of you who take the time to visit the H.A.M.B., and visit the HOF Legends Site, there would be no need for me. SO once again,thank you all so very much. We are all in this together...and I hope that 2013 brings you all great builds, the right info to do 'em, peace & prosperity, and, that you and your families stay safe & well.

PS: I have a Tribute to Dick Clark on this Page...
    http://www.jonnieking.net/gpage27.html

[​IMG]

16. XERB

XERB

Awesome tribute to a great man, really enjoyed reading this post, thanks

I was sitting in the movie's as a kid when I first heard the Wolfman, watching American Graffiti, the cars left an impression for sure, but that popsicle sucking DJ struck a nerve, a good one, when I first heard on the radio that he had passed away it was a cold, wet & windy day here in New Zealand, the mood after hearing of his passing was pretty much like the weather, dismal! He is no doubt a rock n roll and hot rodding icon, R.I.P. Robert Smith

17. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

TO ALL MY FRIENDS HERE AT THE H.A.M.B...

If you're new to the H.A.M.B., OR, missed this before, I want to share with you this special New Year's Eve, 1993, surprise phone call I got from my old friend, "Wolfman Jack" .

If you've ever seen "American Grafitti", saw him host "The Midnight Special" on NBC, or, if you were lucky enough to hear him On-The-Air, you know what an iconic performer he was.

He was also a caring, fun, friend who was kind enough to call me when I was On-The-Air on New Year's Eve, TWENTY YEAR'S AGO...but when I hear his voice again, all those years vanish, and, he's right there in my headphones just as he was that night.

Simply Click-On-This-Link, listen, and travel back in time to NYE in 1993:

Happy New Year to each-and-everyone !

18. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

It was a magical time. We would cruise around with DJs like the Wolfman and Murray the K. It was like we had a connection with these guys. Kids today don't even know what a radio DJ is. They think a DJ is some jerk wit his hat on sideways rubbing records back and forth on turntables. Nobody listens to radio anymore its all CD,s. Man I wish we could go back.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

woodiewagon46...

You got that right ! That's what I always loved about being on-the-air. Since I started in 1967, and continue today on the Web, lots of changes have come down...not all of them good.

That's why I love sharing this NYEve call from the Wolfman, because it not only reminds me of what a good friend he was, BUT it reminds ALL of us who ever Cruised ANYWHERE with our radios keeping us company on that journey...that, if only for a few minutes, we can "flashback" to that time period and relive a part of our own History through the sounds & the voice of a real R&R Legend:

Thanks again for your very true comments, my friend ! And, if anyone else has some "Wolfman Memories" to share...bring 'em on !!

20. Love the wolfman!!

21. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

mad mikey !

The Wolfman was so cool...being in the same room with him made you better !

His aura gave off friendship, fun, Crusin', and, a love for R&R
    like you've never seen, or heard, before !!

Happy New Year !

22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Happy New Year

23. Funny when i was a kid we could get XERB at night. When I was in Nam we could get skip from Xerp for half an hour at times it was along with a sweet poster of Pam Hardy that made things work on bad days.

24. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

jcmarz...

Thanks...and the same to you & yours, my friend !

plymouth1952...

Yes, XERB was SO powerful ! Same as when I was at 50,000 watt KAAY/L.R. mail came in from all over the Country, and from around the World, including Canada AND Cuba !

Thanks to you, as well as all others on the H.A.M.B., for your service to our Country...in Nam, and, everywhere else in the World that you may have been stationed. God Bless America !

25. Super/Stock Poncho

Super/Stock Poncho
    from Missouri

Hi Jonnie, Happy New Year.

I remember KADI in St. Louis use to air Wolfman once a week back in the 70s. I'm sure it was syndicated.

Lets get together for dinner before the end of the month.

26. I used to listen to the Wolfman when I was stationed at Lackland AFB, Texas in 1964....I could have sworn it was broadcast on XERF in Acunia, but that was a very long time ago....Centurion9

27. I am nearly 73 & it just seemed like Wolfman was around forever back in the day. In the early 60's I was stationed in NJ & I would listen to AM radio late at night on the airplane's ADF radio sitting on the ramp. Being close to NYC I often listened to Cousin Brucie on WABC. That was 50 years ago & I think Cousin Brucie is still around up there. I love oldies so rock on Rock n Roll...

28. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Special Note To All My Friends Here At The H.A.M.B:

I was going through my eMails today and a couple of 'em wanted to know if I'd remembered to revive this piece of R&R History from "The Wolfman". The answer is YES !

For those who've heard it before, and for those new to the H.A.M.B., I revised some of the Info...and "Clap For The Wolfman" should come across in cool stereo for you !

If you're ready, here's the Link back to "New Year's Eve, 1993...with 'Wolfman Jack' ":

Happy New Year to ALL !

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I don't hear anything, do you have to download a special program or something?

30. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

I never get tired of hearing it ,Thanks... And Happy New Year!!!