Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sbc guru challenge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CalGasser, Dec 17, 2012.

1. CalGasser

CalGasser

You may have a point there but I have a high volume pump. I'm getting a good gush of oil in the lifter galley which puzzles me regarding a blockage. I initially thought the distributor shaft was too small therefore oil bleeding pass but I've compared it with three different units and they're all the same. Everything but the heads & block have been torn apart - but going back together for a do or die! :eek:

2. CalGasser

CalGasser

Thanks Evil, that's my plan - DO or DIE!

3. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I think it will do....I've never had one die with this same situation!!! Keep us posted.

4. CalGasser

CalGasser

Will do! Keep your fingers crossed for me please!!! :eek:

5. CalGasser

CalGasser

BN5-5.jpg

BN6-6.jpg

BN3-3.jpg

Okay guys, here's what happened... I did a Hail Mary so this SBC was either going to oil up or blow up! I installed stock rockers & pushrods (so as not to ruin my roller rockers) and put everything back to the way it was when I initially had the problem. I fired it up as before and had 60# oil pressure. Within a minute (more like 30 sec.) it began to oil. While adjusting the valves, it started squirting out of the modified valve covers for adjust rockers. F_ _ k me, as to what happened. I still don't know where or why the initial blockage but I know it oils good now - so much so it's all over my new headers! Do I have a problem with that? NO! I'm just a happy camper it's oiling as should. I'll install the roller rockers and pushrods back and see what happens again later. I even took the car out for its maiden voyage. :) Thanks for everyone's input! Vic

Attached Files:

6. sdluck

sdluck

How long did you prime it?It can take 20 min before it starts to oil the rocker

7. CalGasser

CalGasser

From my past experiences, I've never had to prime it that long but guess one never knows. I initially ran it for about 20 minutes without oiling but now it does.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

All is well, in the stock form. Which leads back to what some other and myself had said before. Geometry of the valve train with the other push rods and rockers. Or there's no champher of the hole on the end of the aftermarket pushrods. A lil diegrinding may be in order.

9. CalGasser

CalGasser

Initially when it didn't oil up, I ran stock rockers and pushrods on #2 cylinder and it didn't oil then so not sure why it oiled this time. Interesting is when I change them back to the rollers if it'll oil up then. If not, then I'll know its the roller rockers to pushrod geometry.

10. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Prime the Lifters ??? Place lifters in a coffee can or some of the wife's Tupperware then fill the container completely with oil. Lifters must be submerged. Use a push rod to pump the lifter until all air bubbles are gone.
    Used lifters may be cleaned in the same way by filling the container with lacquer thinner as a cleaner. Drain thinner by pumping lifter dry then fill the container with oil and pump them again. Elimination of any air in the lifter body may have helped you.
    Glad to hear that the motor is oiling......................... Jeff

11. CalGasser

CalGasser

Thanks Jeff. You can also prime the lifter by pumping oil into the side hole and watch it flow out of the top hole where pushrod sits in - that's the method I use but all the lifters were already pumped up except for the two that I disassembled. They're all pumping up now so life's good! Vic

12. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Vic,

That's good news...and I figured it was what would happen. I'm not exactly sure why it works that way, but I do know that if you have the ability to spin the motor over during priming it will start oiling out the pushrods sooner and more complete than if you are just priming it and rotating it ocassionally. Either way, who cares....you are runnin again. Good for you, Awesome Chevy by the way. You and Kev are heroes. Nothing better than Willys and 55 chevy Gassers!!!

Al

13. CalGasser

CalGasser

Thanks for the kind words Al... don't know about being heros but we just love our Gassers!!! :D Merry Christmas! Vic

14. the other me

the other me

Those gassers rule!!!

The build threads are awesome as is the craftsmanship. You guys definiately do them justice. Merry Christmas and blessed new year.

15. hotrodtodd1960

hotrodtodd1960

And don't forget his gasser henry J !!

16. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

aw man, why'd ya have to go and tell me theres more!!!? I don't know if I''ve seen his Henry J, maybe he can post up a pic of it too? please? !!!

17. CalGasser

CalGasser

Al, I tried posting some pictures but for some reason, it won't attach the pictures. PM me and I can send to your email if you like. Merry Christmas! Vic

18. CalGasser

CalGasser

Here ya go Al! ;)

Attached Files:

19. triumph 1

triumph 1

I agree with this!