Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 392 Hemi Model A roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oneilfab, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Oneilfab

Oneilfab

So i picked up pieces of a really rough 1931 model A roadster body about 3 years ago, i stuck it in the corner of my shop for a couple years while i finished my 67 acadian project. i started collecting a few pieces here and there and finally last winter i started working on it a bit, the body came with a roadster cowl and a sedan cowl, some really bad quarter panels and the pieces above and below the trunck lid, i started by making the sedan cowl which was in really nice shape into a roadster cowl, roadster cowl was beyond repair. I then found a decent pair of roadster quarter panels at a local swap meet that i could actually work with for a good deal, i looked for a set of original doors for a long time and finally after a long search i gave up and and bought a set of new brookville doors and hinges. but after a lot of rust repair and piecing things together i now have a complete 1931 roadster body. i picked up a new set of 32 frame rails that i found used on a local classified site and last winter i boxed the new frame and kicked it up a bit in the rear to get the car low and got it ready to put some suspension on it. next me and some buddies took a trip to the portland swap meet where a picked up a new drop axle and spring and a set of 38 ish ford wish bones and a 4 link for the rear. i had big plans on getting the car into a roller, until a month later when i nearly cut my finger right off and had to get rehab and a few surgeries on it. so it sat for the last 7 months... until now. in the last month i've mounted a new front cross member, mounted the front end, built motor mounts for the 392 hemi and now i'm going to start building brakets for the 4 link. finally got things rolling:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  2. knotttty

knotttty

awesome workmanship... and a great look.... keep us posted...

Roy

3. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Perfect stance. Nice motor mounts, very tidy, functional and Kool.....

4. sledd

sledd

very nice welding on everything..

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

LIKE THAT A LOT! Please keep posting updates. Welcome to the HAMB! Bob

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Did you just bend the steering arms up to run the tie rod above the frame rails like that ?

Do you anticipate any trouble with the radiator or hoses or anything else with that tie rod across there ?

7. Lookin' good son! :D

8. Oneilfab

Oneilfab

thanks its been alot of work so far! i will defianatly keep u posted!
    i just flipped the steering arms upside down and swapped sides, i dont have a radiator yet but i think everything should be fine with mounting the rad and hoses
    [​IMG]

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Great build. Couldn't ya find someone to help you out on the welding though? :D

10. Oneilfab

Oneilfab

found a few more pics of the build, rigged up the body with some braces so i could use the engine hoist to lift the body on and off by myself, kicked the back of the frame 5 inches to get a low stance, wanted to use the stock part of the frame, sorry for the crapy quality pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  11. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

12. Hey Neil - you got way more done so far than you've let on. Cool engine mounts. Can't wait to see it in person.

13. Are those Patriot headers? Swap meet stuff?

14. Man I should really update my profile - still says my car has a 400 sbc (ha ha)

15. Oneilfab

Oneilfab

thanks jeremy! ya its come a long way from the pile of rust in the back of my dads truck! got a long ways to go before its done tho!
    the headers are new sandersons, i also have a new set of bare header flanges from sanderson, i'm going to make a set of zoomies or lakester style headers for it for start up, dont want to wreck the coating on the new headers

16. Oneilfab

Oneilfab

Got some work done on the roadster today. centered up the 9 inch in he chassis, set my pinion angle and tack welded it to the frame. i then took the body off and started fitting the drive shaft loop and the trianglulated 4 link
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Oneilfab

Oneilfab

i have the top bars angled down about 6 degrees and i'm going to mount the lower bars level
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. 1939STREETROD

1939STREETROD

great so far - where are you putting your alternator?....i ran a 392 in my A coupe and had to make a 'special' mount for the alt down low - looks like your motor mounts will get in that way - you will probably have to go high on the engine - good luck trying to 'hide' it.....very nice build - keep on truckin...

19. Drivinford

Drivinford

Very nice work man

20. Oneilfab

Oneilfab

i havent even thought about an alternator yet to tell u the truth, i'll have to take a look at it tomorrow, would really like to run a low mount if i could even if i have to make a custom bracket

21. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Looking real good.

Ago

22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

23. hammered30

hammered30
    from west aus

Nice work. looking forward to this build:D

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. eightbanger

eightbanger

You really got something nice there. Awesome work.

26. Hey Neil, it's Ryan Isherwood. Nice looking stuff man!

27. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

going in the right direction, very nice work

28. Oneilfab

Oneilfab

thanks ryan! looks like your shop is doing good!

29. Oneilfab

Oneilfab

borrowed a air over hydraulic tubing brending today from a buddy of mine, now i can really get going on the rest of this frame !
    [​IMG]

30. brady1929

brady1929

looks great

Deuce-Merchant likes this.