Register now to get rid of these ads!

Interpretation of Hambers building styles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Sadly,you probably never will.:confused:

I honestly don't get your point,,you haven't offer anything constructive,,only criticism,,if you would take the time to read most of the post I think you would find that for all but a few members that always drag in drama it's a informative and interesting read. HRP

2. I do read many/most threads. That's why I raise the question as to why an almost exact thread was deleted this morning, then this one popped up a few minutes later.

So I suppose if questioning why one stays and one should go is "criticism" then I guess I'm guilt as charged.

I was interested and posted in that other thread, that's why I don't understand. Either way (or thread), it's tit for tat between "traditional" and "period correct" and the two will always end up in a pissin' match if you cross the two.

3. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

^ and I will be the first to admit that even on my car, which I consider a low budget build, there's stuff that breaks the rules I so admire. Not a lot, but its there. I was just sayin that period correct is possible and we shouldn't bag on the guys who do it.

6. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Yes!......But where does the ridiculous line get drawed??...Is it based on what I think?..... What you think? .....etc?.....Everyone here has a opinion..........who's rules do we live by?.......LOL

7. Ryan's! :D

8. You beat me to it!!:D

9. My basic idea when I started this thread was as in relation to the era of the build,styles,I think the thread has been thought provoking but as often is the case with the Hamb I obliviously should have expected for a few to take it in a different direction and relish in putting a personal spin on it.

I have my own preconceived ideas of what my hot rod should look like,,if I prefer the tried and true worn out phrase of traditional it may not be period,,my preference in reference to my truck is I tried to have it look like a traditional style,,but I feel I grayed the lines between the 50's & 60's.

My sedan on the other hand was first constructed before we used the terms that as of late have become a sore subject for some.

At that time I think resto rod was the terminology,,looks stock on the outside but fairly modern underneath,,but the lines we gray there also,,I used a dropped axle,,old style,,but I also used 4 bar suspension and coil overs,I wouldn't do it now but 15 years ago when I was into street rods it was the way to go.

The main point is we all have our style we are striving to accomplish. HRP

10. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I knew that answer was coming before I posted the post...LOL...My whole point Is I see guys on here all the time Jumping on someone for using a safe modern throtle linkage, or even a Small block chevy, Yet I would bet that if I looked at their cars I could pick it to death as well. Not to mention the "closet billet guys" who want to run someone down on here for using something modern. (yet they have a easter egg colored sedan under a tarp in their basment and tell all their hot rod buddies it belongs to their wife)....I am sorry if I made anyone mad here, I just like many was just posting my opinion......And also For the record, I like paint!..And I like Chrome!...This whole if your car is not rusted metal or black primer with whitewalls then you can't be in our club, Is a Bunch of BS!.....And that is the way that some see it here.

11. Unfortunately there will always be the "don't do as I do, do as I say" folks.

12. I would think the time it takes for one to build a project may also influence the style of their build. I know it did for me and is part of the reason there are modern elements involved as I grew to like a different style as my build went on. For me it doesn't make sense time or money wise to redo some of the things that don't fit into the time period I am building for as for the most part they won't be seen.

13. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

HRP......No shame in liking streetrods....Streetrods are Bad ass, Guys got a little out there in the late 80's and 90's but the street rods of the 70's and early 80's were awsome...In my opinion anyhow....My fav is still Jim jacobs phone booth pickup and his yellow coupe.

14. I always liked the popular style of rods built in the early 60s. That is when I bought my first Hot Rod magazine and started drooling over the "California cars".
    I tried to build my 56 Chevy to be an early 60s style but I just cannot settle for drum brakes so I ventured off on a tangent with that area and put power discs on the front. I just had too many scary experiences growing up trying to stop the old cars. I think I even bent my steering wheel on my 56 Ford once by pulling up on it and pushing hard on the brake only to gently slide by what I was trying to stop for.
    I love to see the period perfect rod but its not always safe or practical in today's traffic to drive one. I like the 70s era "restorods" also as far as mechanical and exterior but some of the interior styles of that era are hard to take.
    With the 34 pickup I am building, I am striving to make it look mid 60s but again, I have discs on the front. I will default to safety whenever I feel the older way of doing things is inferior.

15. F&J

F&J

HRP, I had to read all 4 pages, trying to find out what your question was in post #1. I just could not tell what the underlying question was.

But seeing the last post you made, it's last sentence makes sense...you indeed have your own style, and it shows on most of your 32 builds. But compare your full fender 32 truck to Bob Bleeds' 33/34 "lil red truck" and and they are so very completely different.

No offence, but i pefer Bob's style better, as it is more like I saw around here a long time ago. Your 32 truck has some resto-rod features that do really set the first impression, just as Bobs' sets it's own. Matter of taste, that's all.

Some s--- storms start when certain semi modern features get played as "genuine traditional" IMO

Oh, as far as drama starters, on a simple subject... I don't care in the least, if half the builders here use a dual master cyl, but dang it, don't call the rest of us "stupid" for running singles on a supposedly traditional site. Kinda rubs the wrong way IMO

16. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

"Oh, as far as drama starters, on a simple subject... I don't care in the least, if half the builders here use a dual master cyl, but dang it, don't call the rest of us "stupid" for running singles on a supposedly traditional site. Kinda rubs the wrong way IMO"

And this really goes both ways. I always thought the actual term should be "in the spirit of the era" cars. :) Although the guys who believe they "got it right" would still complain. <!-- / message -->

17. 327Eric

327Eric

Building a Truely period correct car is a labor of love, and my hats off to anyone who accomplishes it. I love the HAMB, but I will be the first to admit that nothing I have fits in the pre 65 build parameters, as my love is the late 60's, early 70's style. I first built my 59 El Camino true to a 1968 style, as I knew it, and it was fun. Practicality has put it more to the 80's, at least under the hood, but plans are underway to bring it to a 1962 style. My Henry J will be more of a late 60's style build, as I love Cragars, and the 413 is out of a 65 Imperial. Both the cragars and the 413 were around in 65, but I like the later accessories.

18. No problem at all,that's one thing that the Hamb collectively has is a wide and varied opinion of what is right for each member.

Personally,I prefer a dual master cylinder but there is nothing wrong with a properly maintained fruit jar master cylinder. HRP

19. msalamanca

msalamanca

Its impossible to have a period/era correct car.
    Bottom line is we all come as close as we can.
    These are the main things that determine it
    Money
    Time
    Health
    Knowledge
    Skill
    Plan of use.
    Build space

When someone says to me, there build is 100% era correct, and then see them criticize others on here or at shows etc. I say where did you find 60 year old paint? so that 1950s spray gun and compressor still work great for you? So there is not one ounce of new bondo on it?

I for myself, I am going as era correct as I can. the rest is history. It will be a daily driver and will take road trips often, it will be stuck in traffic at times, it will climb mountain roads, or sit in the beach parking lot while I take my dogs in the water, I will eat in it, and at times sleep in it. I will park it in a grocery store parking lot (maybe not so close to the entrance), also will drive it to shows and pull my upright bass out it however it will fit and a ampeg 6x10. I will get it in paint by this time next year and enjoy every min of it and not worrying that I have disc breaks, a golf cart heater, SBC with new hoses.

20. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

One of the most frustrating things to me is that you can open a build thread consisting of (hypothetical) a modern chassis, modern air bag suspension, modern this that and the other, and it will be filled with replies such as "awesome build", "great job", "suscribed", etc., etc., etc.
    The next thread down can be a more "era correct" build..... with a modern radiator cap...... and the poor guy gets blasted to death until it gets locked.

21. I guess with 196,492 hamb members registered there is an equal amount of ideas of what style dictates the use of part's from a specific era.

I built my first hot rod in the early 70's,,my thought process at that time was to get the 1930 Model A pickup on the road,,use all the original sheet metal and scrounge the junk yards for what I ciuld use to accomplish my goal.

I was shooting for a 60's style truck but at the same time I didn't want it to look like a 4 wheel drive,,most of the hot rods I saw in magazines set high.

When I got my pickup on the road there were only 2 other guys in this town that had old hot rods.

Right or wrong,,I still like the stink bug look,,the bigs and littles,buggy springs and drum brakes and non tilt wheels,,but that's me,it's not for everybody and that's ok with me,,because in the end I'm the only guy that has to be happy. HRP

22. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I'm not even going to pretend I read this whole thread, makes my eyes hurt. When I do a car, I'ts always on a shoestring budget and the major components on hand kinda dictate what the final product is as far as era goes. I've done cars every which way but when it really comes down to it, I really favor mid 60s drag cars. Anybody that says an appealing and somewhat proper looking build can't be accomplished without breaking the bank needs to hit more swap meets, salvage yards and meet people with similar interests to barter with. Also, as stated earlier, old magazines will show what was available marketwise but the average joe had steel wheels or maybe just the two aftermarket wheels on one end till the next check and a single 4 barrel, not 6 chromed strombergs on an Edelbrock Ram Log.

My cars are not ever 100% but I really enjoy striving for it and get a kick out of finding that missing puzzle piece at the swap meet at 6:00 in the morning or redoing the bracket or whatever that i wished was done right the first time.

23. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I actually kind of enjoy reading threads like this that delve into the psychological side of hot rodding. I mean, that's really what we are talking about...a mental categorizing of the different styles of hot rods based on era. A grouping of cars seperated by the parts they consist of would be a way to physically categorize them, but it's much deeper than that...especially when you throw in the use of reproduction parts.

Parts selection is honestly the determining factor in selecting an era to build your hot rod's style towards. Parts selection either makes or breaks a period correct hot rod.

Case in point, I built a car that would (and by my estimation should) be considered period correct:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552336

My goal was to build the car as if it were built in 1959. However, a very large portion of the parts were reproduction. Now, here's the point I would like to make: when viewing the finished car, there are only two items on the entire car that were not available in 1959. You can look at the top of the car, bottom of the car, the wiring, the engine compartment, etc. The only things that aren't visually period perfect are the water pump riser, and fuel pressure regulator. That's the key: visually period perfect.

If I were to limit myself to only parts that were not reproduction, I'd still be trying to find everything I needed to finish that car. You have to draw the line somewhere, and the way I cope with this is that I consider any GOOD reproduction part (I.E. one that is 99% accurate to the original) to be acceptable. This is the mental part I was talking about.

Sure, we could have hunted up a rough original '32 Roadster body, given enough time. But, after installing all the patch panels it would need...then you've technically blown the formula for "all original parts". Instead, I prefer to use good, new, accurate parts where it counts when necessary....and use refurbished 'original' parts where it is absolutely visually necessary. Such as the original '32 firewall, original '32 k-member, original Model A crossmembers, axle, etc. For these parts, a mediocre reproduction just wouldn't do.

So back to that compromise on the water pump riser and pressure regulator. I could have put a stock '57 Chevrolet water pump on the car, but it would have been practically impossible to run a fan of any meaningful size. So for drive-ability's sake, I chose to use the water pump riser and disguise it the best I could. The pressure regulator was a safety item to keep the pressure to the Strombergs low, and I couldn't take the time to find something more vintage. 99.9% of people would never know that these two things don't fit the era, and that's a compromise I had to make.

And therein lies the problem. That .1 % that does notice those little details that aren't just right, the little compromises...well, they tend to participate on the HAMB. In the grand scheme of things, none of this matters to anyone but the most diehard traditionalist hot rodders.

It is entirely possible to build a truly period correct hot rod with all vintage parts, be it a '40s style car, late '50s style car...whatever you prefer. But you are still going to have to draw the line somewhere, if you are planning to actually DRIVE the car. It's a struggle, and often consists of compromise. My advice is to not get too wrapped up in the mental side of building a period correct car, and instead build something that physically looks, feels, smells, sounds, and drives like a period correct hot rod, and build it so that you can actually take it out and enjoy it.

24. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

25. A Boner

A Boner

The word street rod seems to almost be a swear word on the H.A.M.B. It's funny but I personally like a hot rod that looks like a hot rod, but functions like a street rod. I can appreciate all the old stuff... Flathead engines, 39 transmissions, 40 ford drum brakes, bias ply skinny tires, and even stuff like dim 6 volt headlights, and more. The problem I have is living with the old stuff, as I would rather drive my hot rod , and not have to monkey with it, to keep it running. There is nothing wrong with monkeying with a hot rod, it's just not for me. I would rather be building my next hot rod, not fixing the 1st one. I don't like billet wheels, goofy tread pattern rubber band tires, clear coat paint, Easter egg paint colors, and I don't even like carpet in a hot rod...I'll take a rubber floor mat. My last hot rod has torque thrust as cast straight spoke wheels with radial tires that should be good for 50,000 miles. The SBC, TH350 trans, and the 8" rear end are bullet proof and extremely traditional in my world. A friends older brother gave me a box of early 50's Hot Rod magazines when I was in jr. High and I have way too many boxes of them that I have bought since then, up to all the present ones. But my biggest influences have been the hot rods I have seen in person at the Street Rod Nationals back in the day. Jakes phone booth p.u., and yellow 34 , Pete's California Kid and green 27, the Super Bell coupe, and many others like most of Barry Lobecks "Ohio look" hot rods. These are the hot rods that formed my traditional hot rod taste. I'm sorry, but the hot rods I like to drive are the ones that like to be driven on the street...long trouble free distances. I like looking at the super traditional 100 point "restoration style" hot rods, and am glad guys build them so I can enjoy looking at them. Hot rod people are a small segment of a small group of car nuts....I hope we can stick together before we are legislated out of existence. Spread the gospel!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  26. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Brian,
    Very well said. you are way better with typing words than I am, seems like lately everything I type seems to rub at least one person on here the wrong way...LOL......Also if for some crazy reason you get tired of that Bad ass willys project you have, let me know...LOL

27. roddinron

roddinron

So much talk about rules? I think it's odd to hear so many hot rodders and custom guys so anxious to follow rules. Man how times have changed!:rolleyes:

28. Ditto: Brian Bass. That is exactly the way I feel about building stuff. Just build a bitchin' hotrod that works and be done with it. Make it look right and some guys will get it. Some won't. And that's ok. If everybody had it figured out it would'nt be fun. That's why there is Street Rodder Magazine.

29. bonesy

bonesy

Great topic.

I get that not everyone cares, but I truly love a hot rod that strives to a point in time.

30. i don't think you get the whole point of the HAMB.

times have changed. there is a group of individuals who have decided not to change with the times.