Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Art of the Sleeper...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That alligator hide upholstery doesn't do it for me. I like the idea of a "sleeper" or a car that flies under the radar - and I think that metalshapes is onto something with the sleeper Prius idea. Doesn't belong on the HAMB, but a project like that would be fun to see. I wouldn't be surprised if one has already been created.

I doubt the wagon or the old Chevy would fool anyone with the lowered stances, low profile rubber and the undeniable rumble. Kind of a gold chainer's idea of slumming it with these two cars - it's a cool idea but I think these two rides are actually overdone. To each his own.

2. eddie1

eddie1

I agree!

3. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

X2 :eek:

4. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Built my wife a tuned port Corvette powered XJ6 a couple of years ago, and it was a hoot. Had nice paint etc. Show you a photo, but it was about 5 years too new for here.

5. ... high-bucks owners coming down and running with the unwashed masses without really getting 'dirty'. I'd rather have alligator skins on my office chair.

Steve

6. INTMD8

INTMD8
    from Il.

Awesome, but I thought this type of thing couldn't be posted on this forum?

Some cars the patina works well on and I do like it. I'm 100% for modern mechanicals.

I sold my twin turbo 70 Malibu sleeper to help fund my Brougham which will look 100% stock but have a twin turbo escalade 6.0, roadster shop chassis, 4 wheel disc, air ride, front/rear 3pt seat belts, front and rear a/c and heat and the list goes on.

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

Seems to me, a sleeper has to have thousands of cars just like it traffic, that are always slow.

Prius owners must think they are saving the world by driving slow in the fast lane, and holding everybody up...

So I seemed to be a natural choice.

Anything too old or too obscure wont be instantly recognisable as a slow car to most people.
    Even if it was...

Hopefully we can get the Dogfight Thread going with the Too New for the HAMB stuff...

8. TLB@HCG

TLB@HCG

9. Beau

Beau

One of my favorites.

10. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I've always hated "patina" the only time it desrves to be on a car if its a vintage race car with real history or an important hot rod or custom from back in the day. Patina on anything else is just preserving the neglect the car endured over the years, not preserving history...a car sitting outside rotting away for decades isnt history, its neglect. I understand why people leave rust and old paint on cars, because paint jobs are hard work and expensive...but dont use the word patina or survivor for being fucking lazy. Im in the middle of a body/paint job on a car that had ok paint that I could have left, and I want to blow my fucking brains out with all the sanding and prep...but guess what? it will be worth all the hard work and I will have pride in the job once its done.

11. HA! now that's a sleeper! Litereally. :D

12. Those are interesting, but I'm not sure why they are filed under "customs." Those are modified vehicles, but not customs.

13. Clearly you are old and cranky. These cars are totally bitchin' and worth taking a look at. Sure, Icon talks about their cars like pretentious yuppies, but the fact of the matter is that all their cars, the two beaters and the various 4x4's they make are pretty awesome.

14. Wish I could afford a build like those.

15. Bullshit, I drive a sleeper every day, and someone will line up atleast once a day, from porches to beemers to hondas and bikes. Not every bike runs 9's, and 12 second cars often only run that at the track or with a pro at the wheel.

16. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Yeah. I had one back in the day but no badges(I dont need no stinkin' badges). I'd let you beat me a bit the 1st time then it was game over the second time.

17. QuarterLifeCrisis

QuarterLifeCrisis
    from NY

Any car guy can respect the skill and craftsmanship behind a car like the one in the video. That car and the ones like it are marvels of engineering (with the price tag to prove it). I, personally, don't see a damn thing wrong with it except that it isn't in my driveway.

18. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

Just to answer a comment made previously, I've seen another interview with the guy, and when they asked him how much something like this cost, he mentioned they had several builds on the go, ranging from 90 to 900k$... guess it just depends on how crazy the customer's wishes are. Nothing's impossible, it just costs more... right?

Well, I can see both sides of the argument. I do think they're cool, and I dig the patinated look, I can totally get that. But I'd feel a cheat with a fully modern drivetrain and chassis, you loose all the feel from the period, it's just a bland heap that happens to look too cool for what it's hiding underneath.

Jay Leno also drove the Chrysler/Desoto wagon, you can find the vid on youtube.

Cheers, Eddie

19. flamingokid

flamingokid

It's not my thing,but I respect it.

20. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

back in the 50s and early 60s one of the coolest sleeper trends was putting Porsche engines in Renault Dauphines. Stupid-looking four door with some serious business in the operating room. Many a souped-up VW bug got his fanny handed to him by one of those things. For you youngsters, we're discussing Porsche four-bangers (visually similar to an early VW opposed flat air-cooled engine, not the 911 six cylinders.

21. That's what I'm talkin' about! Nice!

22. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

I have to agree with this fella^^^^^^^^^

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

I've always liked the sleeper idea: a plain-jane, non-descript body style with a killer driveline and suspension, but the "patina" deal wore me out a long time ago. The Chevrolet in the video would have been much more true to the concept with just a cheap set of seatcovers and police/pursuit issue or generic wheels and tires.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  24. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

First off...the vid of that bed-capped pickup pulling the wheels absolutely ROCKS!!! :D I am a bit surprised at the negative vibe surrounding these rides. I think they are a great idea. Certainly not high tech but consistent with the Hot Rod theme of faster, cooler and better. What is so different than putting a nailhead or Hemi in a Duece back in the day. You think all the guys that sold "cherry" tri-fives to a kid and saw it drive by later with a straight axle and a a hole in the hood with stacks sticking out of it were thrilled? I think this is just another off-center thinkers vision of a cool hot rod and it works. Sleeper, custom, derelict, shitbox....whatever you call it as long as somebody is enjoying the hell out of their old (and new) American iron it's okay by me.