Register now to get rid of these ads!

1923 graham pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by austinhunt, Dec 9, 2011.

1. davo461

davo461

Keep at it; you're doing fine !
    Glad about your sweetie, too.

2. austinhunt

austinhunt

I'm super happy with the engine placement even though the center of gravity is a little high. I can remove the oil filter with the steering box installed and no special adapteris required. Less seals= less leaks!

[​IMG]

I know there is already a few from this angle but its my motivation to keep going, so you get to suffer with me.

[​IMG]

Here is what an hour of cutting and grinding will get you when all you have is a 4 1/2" grinder and a measuring tape.

[​IMG]

And after grinding your sorrows away, you set-up the back of your frame on a fancy jig table that is perfectly level and begin welding....

[​IMG]

This is not the best looking or most interesting way of doing things but I have never done this, so its all just an expensive experiment.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  3. austinhunt

austinhunt

This is the driver's door, but I think it's going to live on the passenger side....

I really want to hear my dear old dad ask me; "Son, why did you put the doors on wrong?"

[​IMG]

4. austinhunt

austinhunt

I dont have too much to show for all the work lately. I'm cutting rust out of the frame and working on getting it straight again.... Seems like this truck had a really hard life here in Alaska, kinda makes me wonder what kind of stories it would tell me if I gave it a mouth?????

5. austinhunt

austinhunt

You cant tell but it's full of water, much like a catus. I really want to use it (unpressurized) but I cant find anyone that is willing to fix the 2 weep holes. But before I go crazy trying to fix it, the first step is to see if it will even cool my engine. It holds close to 3 gallons of water so there is hope, but the top tank is not up to performing under pressure.

You just don't see a radiator like this every day so I really want to keep it out front.

[​IMG]

6. I always looks at old cars/trucks and wonder who bought it new, and what was the story of it's life after that.
    keep on keepin' on man!

7. "This will be installed in the passenger seat."

i think i'd keep the bench seat, dont let that get too far away ;) , even if it is a narrow cab , keep workin on that truck ......... but dont neglect the navigator either

8. austinhunt

austinhunt

No progress, but I did run the engine to keep oil going through it.... and because its fun!

Oh, and I finally broke down and bought some combo wrenches... I got a pretty good discount from a local hardware store. We're on a first name basis because im always "buying strange things for a truck." It feels good to buy tools when you have been wanting them for so long!

[​IMG]

9. austinhunt

austinhunt

Forgot to add these when I mentioned testing the radiator ealier.

It was the water jacket of a early dodge 4.... now its powder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The test.......
    [​IMG]

It did a lot better than I was expecting. Only a little spitting even with a meager bedroom fan as the only means of airflow. Kept her right at 170.

10. austinhunt

austinhunt

Well, it looks like my plans to keep this radiator have been dashed! The lower neck doesn't agree with the front crossmember!!!!

AHHH!!! I have grown really attached to this beat up thing. Maybe I'll save it for the next one.

The back section is only tacked in place. It will get a few gusset plates and some inner "truss" members inside the old frame, then fully boxed and a k member built around a drive shaft loop.

Well here is somethin to look at.

[​IMG]

11. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I don't think you will keep that sbf cool without apressurized radatior.. but then I have never tried either..

12. austinhunt

austinhunt

Well, I can safely say that it will cool an engine in a garage at 55 degrees while tuning the carb because I just did it. The smell of 100LL is still lingering!

That said, I didn't rev it up much and there was no load.... so you are probly correct mastergun1980.

Unfortunately we will never find out because to use it I would have to cut 3 inches out of the bottom and I just dont have that kind of skill or money. But it was fun seeing it while the excitement lasted. I think down the road a few years I can save enough $$$ to give Brassworks a call about a REAL radiator.

[​IMG]

13. austinhunt

austinhunt

mastergun1980 after reading that it sounds like I'm arguing with you. I am most certainly not.

14. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Lol I didn't see it as argumentive.

15. austinhunt

austinhunt

My Enginneering classes are getting the better of me lately, so progress is minimal. Hopefully next week I will have something to show.

16. austinhunt

austinhunt

Had a little free time today and decided to get on her rear end....

I dont like the fact that its an 8" even though its plenty strong, I dont like that is has a spool in it even though it will be nice in the winter, and whoever narrowed it for the vega it came out of knew less about welding than me(it leaks....). BUTT, it has a centered pinion, good brakes, and the width just so happens to be within a 1/4" of the front. Who knew?

This is the ugly beast.

[​IMG]

Like wipin' the dingle berries off her rear. It was a little crusty.

[​IMG]

I can't get over the turtle hump look...It bothers me.

[​IMG]

17. austinhunt

austinhunt

Also, just bought a DVD from " Mindover " here on the HAMB and can't wait to get it.

His metal work is amazing! Everyone here should have a look.

I have no experience with a body hammer, but I dont want a lot of bondo on this thing so I need to learn how to use a hammer and torch.

Mindover's T build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=596032

18. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Dude an 8" is plenty strong - I have used several behind hot 289's and 302's never killerd one ... and I drive like a idiot ...

19. austinhunt

austinhunt

You know I have heard that from a few guys here in town. I hope you're right because this little truck is not going to get babied. Pretty sure I'm an idiot too, but thankfully there isn't much traffic here, even on our "highway".

20. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Just read through this whole thread and I think you're doing awesome. On the "proper restoration" vs. "hot rod" argument, my belief is that whoever controls the resources gets to decide. If this truck needed restoring, then someone should have done so in the last 80+ years. You are doing a righteous job and I am subscribed. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

On the rearend. Any way you can figure to use the back of the pumpkin from the original as a rear cover over what you think is ugly on the 8"? Just a thought, because the embossed name is so cool.

21. austinhunt

austinhunt

I am at a stand still with the truck because I need to pass calculus.... but in the mean time, my collection of metal bumping tools is slowly growing.

I picked up some used bottles for oxy acetylene welding my panels together but I dont have a torch yet.

These are my first attempts at metal shaping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. austinhunt

austinhunt

Here is the same piece flattened out. I'm going to need a lot of practice before i make some rear fenders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Great looking build!

24. austinhunt

austinhunt

shivasdad - Thanks, I don't think the 8 inch is terrible, but the green turtle shell is a bit on the ugly side.

Thanks for the kind words everybody.

25. Quick shot of black rattle can solve that problem.

Keep working when you can, school first. The truck will get done and you will be cruising before long. For a radiator, look at your dimensions in the grille shell and then compare those dimensions to some newer stuff. A 65 Mustang is popular and fits many older cars for example. Mustang is also cheap.

26. austinhunt

austinhunt

A flathead came up for sale a couple days ago... The guy wants $1500 for it and its in unknown condition.... I hate this place more and more the longer I stay.

That's the direction I will be going for the radiator sadly. The engine is aready non-trad so the further it moves away the less I feel it belongs on the Hamb. The rear end will get painted the same grey as the front axle, I was just whining about my "turtle hump"

skatermann I think it is awesome that you are gas welding your panels. I figured instead of buying a new carb I would invest in a torch and start learning.

27. slownugly

slownugly

Hey Austin, Im loving your build bud! Keep it up!

Not sure if you still need a torch but ive got a cutting handle, what I believe is a welding head, and hoses for small oxy/acetylene tanks. I upgrade to a bigger torch and these are just laying around. If you want them they're yours for the price of shipping.

I was a broke engineering student myself, so I know what its like to have the drive but limited funds. So, if youre interested let me know and Ill get these to you!

28. You need to get your young self down here to Houston and work for a year in the oil patch. You'll make more than enough to finance the rest of your college education at a good school like Texas A&M..(the school where all of the good engineers come from!!)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012