Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

2. swi66

swi66

3. swi66

swi66

4. swi66

swi66

5. swi66

swi66

6. swi66

swi66

7. swi66

swi66

8. swi66

swi66

9. swi66

swi66

10. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    Dennis Hopper
    [​IMG]
    From the top: Stuart Erwin, Eugene Pallette, Clive Brook, Kay Francis, Garry Cooper [i.e. Gary Cooper, film star], Jack Oakie, "Skeets" Gallagher, William Boyde, Richard Arlen, Carole Lombard, Wynne Gibson, Rosetta Moreno, Norman Foster, Sylvia Sidney, Lilyan Tashman, Mitzi Green, Jackie Searl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ann Dvorak
    [​IMG]

11. swi66

swi66

12. swi66

swi66

13. swi66

swi66

14. swi66

swi66

15. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

This is Ty-Rods member Fred Steele's soon to be purple roadster. That's Fred lighting up.

16. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Don't miss: Men Of The Footplate a 1939 British Railway film # three

Many of you have asked me to continue this series, this week we will move into the care and feeding of a locomotive, as a young lad starts out at the bottom of the trade as a cleaner. The cleaners do just that, as periodically a locomotive in England was cleaned and polished. Harry Truin also attends classes and goes onto learn the trade of being a fireman, where he feeds the boiler with coal and attends to the other duties necessary to help the driver.

In this film we will also watch as Jim Hawkins already trained as a fireman, moves onto the next stage of his career, that of learning how to operate a locomotive and become a driver. Follow along as it gives us a very interesting view of a much different time. You can see it here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Sorry this WWII pinup pic isn't bigger, guys! Anybody
    know WHO the young lady is? :confused: At first, I thought Jane
    Russell, but I kind of doubt it. This was posted on Hub-
    Garage by Rocket Ron.

[​IMG]

And one you DO know! Ah! A girl, a Mason jar, a Jeep!
    What a combo! :p

18. FI-62

FI-62

Love the lady grease monkeys, very cool

19. WCD

WCD

The one showing the girl atop the Jeep looks a little like Liz Taylor. But given thats during WWII, I suspect that would have made Liz underage and thus not able to pose so "provacatively".

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Rocky, WHAT a piece of automotive history here! It sure says a load about people's inventiveness and hard work "back then," doesn't it???:cool:

Ol' Pops here has the one piece of the still that could send him to the Big House for a while. :eek: I seem to recall that the revenooers could not get a judge to convict for the other parts, but if they caught you with the cooling coil, it was game over! Heard tell, if you suspected the tax guys were after you, the first thing you'd hide someplace was the coil! ;) An old neighbor of our family, back when I was a kid, had spent time in the Tennessee State Pen for moonshining. (BTW, he always kept his '31 Model A out front for all the world to see that he owned an automobile!:cool:)

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by WCD [​IMG]
    The one showing the girl atop the Jeep looks a little like Liz Taylor. But given thats during WWII, I suspect that would have made Liz underage and thus not able to pose so "provacatively".
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    WCD, I see your point, but I don't think this was a "pinup" photo, per se. And, as for "provocative:rolleyes:," when she was younger, Liz didn't have to do much to look provocative, know what I mean? Reference "A Place in the Sun" ('51) with her real-life pal, Montgomery Clift. At 19, she was the perfect temptation, tearing his character's world apart.;)

[​IMG]

Wow, I'd forgotten that Shelley
    Winters was the neglected, preg-
    nant wife!

Point of clarification, I don't think the original source meant to place the Liz/Jeep pic in the WWII era. Sorry if I gave that impression. From the nice paint on the Willys, plus the grille, looks later to me.

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

In the day, there were literally 1000's of gizmos like this that ran off old Fords, not to mention the body kits, accessories, etc.. This one lets you drive the car away, others ran off belts or PTOs on the rear axle ends so the old vehicle became somewhat stationary, if not totally disabled. But why trade them in if you can get your old T to help with the wife's laundry or saw logs or mill grain? Gary

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by 327-365hp [​IMG]
    This is Ty-Rods member Fred Steele's soon to be purple roadster. That's Fred lighting up.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Hey, 327, Rocky has surely put on some great pix in the last 24 hours! Bringing hotrod history to life! :D Hey, what YEAR would you guys estimate on this photo???:confused:

<!-- / message --><!-- edit note --><HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1>

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Right on, Gary. It's great to see such a good illustration in this add, though. THANKS for your take & info, bro! Reminds me, I saw a MUCH later version in Mechanix Illustrated or one of those mags. It was titled, "Old Car Power," where a farmer was using the rear end of his '59 Chevy to run a grain dryer in his silo.

25. Can I see the Sports page? :D

26. Check out that awesome redhead ....er... flathead!

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Wow! Fooled me, too. We've all heard that old expression: "It ain't the years. It's the MILES." :eek: Well, maybe Pops consumed a bit too much of his own product???:D

And here's Liz and Rock on the set of "Giant" in 1956.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG][/FONT]

Chevy wagons in Santa Monica. What, about '64 or '65?

29. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Popcorn was still making "Likker"as late as 2009 ! It was rumored he committed suicide in 2009 rather than serve 3 years in prison and 3 years on radio monitored probation for being caught with 3 -1,ooo gallon stills 800 gallons of shine and several fire arms on his property as an already convicted fellon. Popcorn made a video of making shine from finding a place to hide a still right through making it and running product right to the finished goods. If you google Popcorn he's the second thing that comes up!It's ironic but new laws make moonshine legal to a limit!

30. Wow! my uncle was an AT6 instructor out of San Antonio before he was sent to Germany very near the end of the war. Went on to B25's, and finally, P51's.
    The man was as close to a Jedi knight as one will find in real life.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.