Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects [PROJECT] Laidout53 Part II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HarborKustomSpeedShop, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

I thought i would share with you what i did to my firewall recess, i took the outside corners off inline with the fenders as it was wasted space under the dash and cleaned up the bulky square look of the firewall, in my opinion.

Attached Files:

2. I thought about removing the rain gutter things but decide not to, Once i get the inner fenders made you wont see much of the firewall. I mostly just wanted it to be smooth.

3. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

If you look at the last picture i posted, you can see i did not remove the gutters, i actually cut and moved that part of the firewall back and reused the gutters amd made a new center gutter to cope with the height of the engine, i liked the look of the original gutters to much to get rid of them, plus the fact they are totally functional still is a bonus.
    Your Dodge is very impressive and i love your choice of hubcaps too.
    Do you have any other trick plans for the interior at all ? Maybe custom tin door panels ?

4. Nice to see another Hemi going into a Pilothouse.
    Tell me about that intake...never seen a box style intake like that for a Hemi.

5. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hi Dan, the intake is called a "Rat Roaster" they are for 426 Hemi engines, they come in different configuration tops too, do a google search, they are a cool intake.:cool:
    Sorry Justin, back to you buddy.:D

6. Update time!

After cutting the old firewall out i realized the the floor boards need some rust repair and the lower corners on the firewall need to be rebuilt. So I decided to go ahead and make need floorboards (under support/cab mountincluded) and inner kickboard supports along with rebuilding the corners. I started with the passenger side first.

Heres the pictures with the descriptions...

First i removed old firewall and then i reinstalled the motor with the new 5sp trans and modified the trans mount to be removable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (in 5th with some clearance, will be making new shifter)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next i clearanced the firewall and tacked on a flange

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I braced the door jam and then i completely cut the floor out.

Before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rebuilding

[​IMG]

Cab under support(Old versus New)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Starting the floorboard

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then came time to make the upper peice that connects to the firewall

[​IMG]

Then i fab'd a new inner kickboard panel

[​IMG]

Next I welded the firewall flange and doghouse part fully

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  7. And here is one side ready to be drilled for spot welds and to be welded in place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then Im on to the other side and then Ill build a new removable trans tunnel and the cab will be 95% done.

Justin

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  8. I wish you were closer. I'd take some vacation time just to come hang out in your shop and help out so I could learn how to do some of this stuff. You really do awesome work.

9. nice work. I wish I had half your skills

10. oldman2

oldman2

That my man is some beautiful detailed work. You should be extremely proud of yourself, looks great....Jim

11. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Very nice tin work Justin :) Before you weld the firewall in, are you leaving that smooth or have you thought of using the bead roller to put some patterns or shapes in to it as well ? I love the little kick panel you made, looks neat with the recess, a lot like a factory made part. :D

12. Thanks Dan, Someday when i have a real shop you'd be more than welcome...

Thanks Bud and Jim

Thanks i wanted the kick panel to look almost stock, as for the firewall you wont see much of it with the inner fenders so im going to leave it smooth.

13. The coolness of this build was too much, the pics are gone! Hope they're back soon, I want to see whats been going on with this thing!

14. thanks Mike, the pics should be working soon. i exceeded the limit on photobucket, thought they would be working by now...:confused:

15. Pictures are working once again!

16. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

;) Thankful that the pictures are back up :D Woo Hoo.......:cool:

17. Got the Passenger side done except for the wheel tub, need the proper size tires for those.

Got all the rust in the cab/firewall corner replaced

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Next I drilled a bunch of spot weld holes in the upper floor piece and got to welding the floor and kick panel in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finished cutting out and replacing the rust in the floor edge under the seat mount

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then started to fab a new "rocker" panel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That concludes the passenger side for now, on to the driver side on friday.

Happy thanksgiving to everyone!!

Justin

18. oldman2

oldman2

Very nice work, you have a Happy Thanksgiving also....Jim

19. Wow man your work is stunning, I can really appreciate all the time you're putting in here because I had to fab a new rocker panel for my truck and that took a LONGG time and it didn't turn out as nice as yours haha!

Keep up the great work and detailed updates!

20. Thanks Jim

Thanks Mike, how's your dodge build going?

21. nachodog

nachodog
    from socal

Awesome work man, can't wait till its done.

22. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

Great to see more custom mopars! Beautiful work!

23. Apittslife

Apittslife

24. lgh1157

lgh1157

Holy shit, i dont know how i missed this thread

amazing work.

L

25. lgh1157

lgh1157

Holy shit, i dont know how i missed this thread

amazing work.

L

26. fitzee

fitzee

nice metal work..starting on my chevys floors soon and i see some cool ideas.. great stuff keep the pictures coming

27. Thanks Guys! I started on the driver side floor yesterday...

28. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Looking forward to seeing the progress you made over the weekend buddy, Are you welding threaded plate or nuts in to make the tunnel removable at all ? Thanks, keep up the impressive work !

29. Thanks Ken, Ill be using the original threaded clips that hold the stock floor peices together. Trying to make all the floor look close to stock so people will think that it is..;)

Justin