Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Attached Files:

2. removed

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  3. Makes me think of those little milk delivery boxes we had in our homes in Western NY and all the notes for other products as well as cash Mom left for the Milkman. My sisters and I would listen for that clinking sound early in the morning and try to get up early enough to sneak the cream off the tops of the bottles for our cereal. To this day I still shake up milk before pouring.:)

4. dad-bud

dad-bud

Evel Knievel - the first real life crash-test dummy.
    Poor Evel for thinking it was a good way to make a living. (Only my opinion, of course).

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Me too, Wingspread. I thought I might be the only one;).

BTW, another regular asked me me my opinion about what he called "period creep" in Dog's thread, meaning offerings going past (newer) than 1965. Well, that's been going on for quite some years (not months), and it has been debated before. Way back, I suggested a DROP DEAD date of 1980, and the reaction was like Daffy Duck tapdancing, then the crickets chirp from the audience.:eek:

Ryan has reminded everybody, on the main board, of the HAMB guidelines. Not to speak for him -- our founder -- but I think (just my opinion) he's tolerated this thread because it is a popular blend of trad material, as well as the societal (worldwide, in fact) backdrop against which trad hotrodding evolved.:rolleyes:

I deride the later '60s as destroying what I loved about the '50s and early '60s. But, somehow, the trad rods and customs survived all that baloney.:cool: And THAT is our cornerstone, our port in the storm of socio-political bullshit that took place after the Beatles and 'Nam changed everything (not to mention all the GOOD project cars having rusted away in the junkyards, awaiting young rodders who hadn't even been born yet!).:eek:

There's a junkyard owner near me who has refused to crush out the pre-WWII material his dad left to him after the war was over. But I look, and I see projects rusted down in the earth, mostly well past any cost-efficient project plan:(. Now, everything "decent" to build a trad 'rod costs out the ass. I remember the early '70s R&Cs, even, when guys were still claiming to build on a $100-Duece frame, and people (I saw this) were selling barn-find Model-As for around $300! Guys were PROUD if they could build a rod for a grand or less!:eek:

My point? TRAD means pre-1965, but we're doing TRAD, best we can, right now. As for Dog's thread, however, I contend that we need to keep the material as early as possible (with the excepton of the "Then&Now" photo combos Moe made famous -- and haven't they been fun?). So, as for photos, I still maintain that a lenient drop-dead date would be 1980. If Ryan says go with 1970 (or even '64), he's da man, and I'll support his decision.

I yield the floor, respectfully. God Bless the HAMB!;)

6. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Got a problem with disabled people?

7. Jimi. I think 64' was Ryan's original bent but so many have given the 65' Riviera a "pass"....Ha ha. I wouldn't want anything beyond that because we'd get covered with Mustangs. I would like to see a 60s'-70's thread, though...call it "UP IN THE REAR" because of the way the cars got all jacked up in back with bigs & littles, and the girls ran miniskirts.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  8. ehdubya

ehdubya

Little wheel leaper

[​IMG]

9. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

,,,,,WOW,,i hope it ended well,,,,,

10. swi66

swi66

11. swi66

swi66

12. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    Widening the Erie canal in Middleport Ny in 1910-1912

13. swi66

swi66

14. BSL409

BSL409

this is going into the ground, found this today

Attached Files:

15. swi66

swi66

16. swi66

swi66

17. swi66

swi66

18. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Philadelphia
    [​IMG]
    NY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Reno

19. swi66

swi66

20. swi66

swi66

21. GRandma Retro

GRandma Retro
    from NY

I live in WNY ! :) and I still shake the milk too :) glad you liked the photo ! I absolutley love this page !!

22. edweird

edweird

theres no way this could have ended well,

23. outlaw256

outlaw256

there is already a site called up in the rear.. its a cool place. brings back mucho memories...i like it.

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Totally see and agree. "Pony" cars and "Muscle" cars of the '60s are a different animal from when guys mostly had to create their own machines out of junkyard parts. While I like them, they aren't generally '64 and earlier and don't fit this thread, or the HAMB, at all.

The reason I'd suggested a real "drop-dead" year of 1980 for pix is that, not long ago, we were getting some awfully new stuff posted. It seemed guys had gotten tired of calling people on that, but maybe we need to go back to regulating ourselves, so that Ryan and Kevin don't have to get involved (?). Also, PLEASE suggest another drop-dead year ('70? strictly '64?), if '80 seems too lenient. I swallowed hard at suggesting that, as the whole industry seemed to change drastically after the Oil Embargo of the early '70s. But, looking at it another way: There have been some cool shots posted here of people still horsing with true, original TRAD 'rods and customs during the later '60s and through the '70s. See the conundrum?)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

"Always carry a spare!" Right, Gary?:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Can't remember the title of this project MM was working
    on when she died. It was to have been the first time she'd
    appear nude on screen. I also apologize for my memory,
    but the producer/director scrapped most footage, RETITLED
    the movie, completely recast it, and got the movie made,
    minus Marilyn. (Was it "Kiss Me, Stupid!"???)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. WCD

WCD

I saw the repeated outakes of the film some years ago. She couldnt recall her lines from the above depcited scenes; Maybe other scenes ended up the same way

28. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

This scene showing traffic lined up on its way into Washington, D.C., might serve as a reminder for you to get out and vote later today. Just remember that your vote does make a difference.

29. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

This scene showing traffic lined up on its way into Washington, D.C., might serve as a reminder for you to get out and vote later today. Just remember that your vote does make a difference.

30. Binging change to America. PLEASE VOTE!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.