Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Oilers CC Present: "Race of Gentlemen"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Well, I forgot my camera at work so my shots are going to take a little longer than expected...,
    BUT in the mean time Id like to thank all the HAMBers that came to my help this weekend. Especially Carter who brought the part that I needed for my starter all the way from practically Ohio! I obviously got sidetracked by the police department and I couldnt find you later on! And Pat, thank you as well as your effort was equally appreciated!

My starter snapped somewhere between MA and CT on the way down, and as this trip in my roadster was so last minute I didnt think of bringing that particular spare part. The power of the HAMB got me going again and I couldnt be more grateful!

Finally putting a voice and face to names Ive been "talking" to for years was great! Meeting all you other guys on the beach, shootin' the shit, and pushing stuck cars was so much fun!

When I first read this post and a few others started commenting about it I knew it was a cant miss event, All of you who doubted it or brushed it off thinking it wouldnt happen, well, you missed out on a life changing event.
    I hate to sound like a softy sap, but after a 700 mile round trip in a normally unreliable roadster, through a tropical storm, being called "crazy", breaking and getting fixed, running down and back with good friends, and meeting all of you wonderful people...yes, it was, for me life changing...
    So from the bottom of my usually sarcastic asshole heart, Thank You!

2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Goddam! These pictures of this event are AMAZING!

3. lorodz

lorodz

was that you dumping all the anti freeze outside ..if it was i helped push you outta the fuzzes way .lorodz

4. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Hey Lorodz, I was just going to point you to this, thats my page.

I got there jsut before the races started and was in such awe that I didnt realize all the HAMB members in attendance or certainly would have introduced myself.

5. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Hey John, saw the car on the street, looks great in person, though the seat could use a little more cushion :)

6. lorodz

lorodz

no problem ...vids were awesome. next race of gentlmen you attend be shure to look me up ill be there.

7. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

that was him. his car and his heart were bubbling over all weekend...

8. lorodz

lorodz

haha....awsome glad his motor finally settled down...good times

9. Wow!,,that's the best I can say,,,just WOW~ HRP

10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> The day dawned, humid and grey, with storm clouds threatening. Undaunted, 3 hot rodders from suburban Beantown rolled out of the Good General's compound with high hopes of hot rodding glory. The General led the troops to battle, with the formidable missile, the Silver City Special in tow and his lovely bride Becky at his side. Slick Willy and Moose (with passenger Beck, a hot rod road trip virgin) followed behind, roadster and tudor guns at the ready. The march started off in good step, machines clicking along as they should. A quick stop in Rhode Island hinted at possible driveshaft troubles for Moose, but could not foretell the extent to which that would later play out.

An innocent stop for fuel and a quick lunch would prove problematic for the Slick One. Full tank and belly, he pressed the start button only to hear the sickening whine of an uncooperative bendix. The General, The Virgin, and The Moose got him started again with a running push, and the hot rodders were off again. The crew stopped once more for fuel in NY somewhere, some God-forsaken reverse earthquake of conspicuous consumption off of 287, and the General had to take a different way back to the highway because of maneuverability issues with the van and trailer. It was the last he would see of Slick, Moose, and the Virgin for what seemed a lifetime.

You see, Moose had himself a little tense moment when his copper fuel line cracked and began spewing fuel all over his exhaust manifold. Undaunted, the Slick One scrambled for a quick fix at a local garage, and the pair of jitneys were on the march once again. The whole army was once again reunited on the foggy beach and revelry ensued in celebration of the army of jalopies that had successfully made it into the company of Gentlemen.

Saturday morning’s sun rose bright and cheery over the slumbering General and his Fair Lady nestled tight in the camper van in front of Mel’s place. Eyes were rubbed, hair was combed, fresh boxers put on, and the General and his queen went off in search of coffee. Steaming hot java in hand, the pair made their way to the beach in hopes of finding a cooperative black roadster eager to run. Eager wasn’t quite the word to describe the Special’s state, but perseverance and so much help from many friendly faces (Heir Carlson, Andy the Mad Man, Crazy Uncle Harry (fresh off his own incredible defeat in battle soon to be told by himself) the Queen herself, Moose and many others) got it running well enough to make a pass on the beach. At which point the choke got stuck closed after going over a bump in the sand, and the car never made it out of first gear and eventually flooded out in front of thousands, just to get towed back to the starting line by a fella with a HUGE moustache in a skidsteer.

After a peaceful evening winding down with pizza, beer, and some VH1 one hit wonders, the crew went their separate ways for a good night’s sleep. The beautiful, cool morning soon turned treacherous when Moose’s driveshaft finally decided to give up the ghost on the side of the NJ Turnpike. Quickly towed to a side street in Elizabeth, Moose and the Virgin, and the General and his Fair Lady said their goodbyes to Slick as he ventured off on his own to fight the good fight northward. Many hours and several frustrating phone calls later, Moose discovered that after the 100 mile free tow from AAA, it would cost him $750 to get towed home the rest of the way. This would never do, of course, so the General and his Fair Lady set of northward themselves, with great haste, to unload the Silver City at home and double back for Moose and the Virgin. A good plan in itself until fate and fatigue would rise up for battle. Arriving at home, the General pulled the train into the station, sinking it deep in the mud and rendering it immovable. In an effort to lighten the load to free the train, he decided to unload the Special from the trailer. However, starting the car while in gear caused it to lurch forward, running over the General and launching itself off the front of the trailer down to the earth below. To the rescue once again, Crazy Uncle Harry appeared with hi lift jack in hand and a couple nerve-wracking hours later the Special was once again on dry (read: wet and muddy) land. Chains and 4x4 technology freed the train, and it once again left the station to rescue Moose and the Virgin from the clutches of the enemy in East Lyme.

Lunatic drunks attacked the troops with threats of plastic hot rod model destruction, but the Good Ones knocked back the enemy and escaped in the dark for home. Moose and the Virgin safe in the arms of their loved ones, and the #107 car back in its barn, the General and his Fair Lady finally settled into their beds just before dawn snuck back up from under the earth.

An epic (mis)adventure not likely to ever be repeated was had by all. And it’s doubtful to this bystander that anyone involved would actually change a thing if they had the chance.
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

11. ELD

ELD

more from the FB group, these are by Tom Berg Photography
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. You think I'd let another side show top my side show? Oh no!

Wait till you see what I have in the works for you all! Life is just going to get a little bit better around here, Mwaaa ha ha ha....

13. ELD

ELD

more from the FB Group, these are by Jill Ingoji
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Thanks... ELD
    for finding all the cool pics

15. I don't really know how you guys pulled this off, especially in New Jersey. What a great, and obviously successful effort! Cudos to all involved. Hope you do it again next year.

16. I just can't really thank all of you people enough. What a time!

I remember seeing so many faces walk by me as I was running here and racing there. I wish we only could all get together this weekend for an after party and have some laughs, some beers, and certainly some tears. I'm a pretty centimental guy, I often cry. I certainly did this day. You are all so amazing to me. I can't wait to see you all again. My home is always open to all of you.
    You can always reach out to me or us at, [email protected]

Wounded vets, my shit is yours! You come to my house, you have roadsters for the day. You need an Indian, what is mine is yours! Old folk, it is you who have inspired me to work hard, extend my hand to a neighbor, build something with my hands with pride. My stuff is also yours... I'd be proud to lend a roadster to any old couple to rekindle old memories. An old man that has lost his love... Lets hang! We can rip around and act like hooligans a few more times!

Years ago here I put out an add looking for any local kids with an interest in tradtional hot rodding. There is enough here in my home to share... Two 18 year old twins showed up. One a long hair, the other with a "pomp". These boys have hung with me for the past few years and are now men. They both went off to college. One studided mechanical enginering and found a great job. The other took a path in the arts and has really stuck by me. Both of these boys now men, have been there for me ANYTIME I asked for them. Sometimes demanding there presence like the Marine I am, sometimes begging like a school girl for some help with homework. I formed a friendship with a family by merely putting out an add for a few good men. In turn, I got two extra sons, a dad, a mom, and those girlfriends of theirs as well, always pitching in in a time of need, I mean all of them!
    There are still some wonderful old souls out there in all shapes and sizes.

This HAMB here has been used by me in some pretty amazing ways. Sure it is the best place for learning and sharing our love for all that is traditional, ...but it sure is a wonderful place to make some ever lasting friends!

I thank you all for your wonderful encouragement, your tips, those parts I need when I can't find them and need so desperately... and most of all, your brotherhood! I forget you not... until the next time good people, until the next time!

17. ELD

ELD

morezee from the FB Group, these are by Thomas Rowe, yea, somes big'uns but we all have 20" or more monitors by now right?

The photos of Mel and Van having mano on mano time are some of my favorite.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Ok, so a lot of people are asking for posters.

You are in luck! We have them...

Give me a few days to get an add up and a PayPal for them. My inbox is clogging up, my email I haven't even looked at as it is insane. Bare with!

We redid the posters with less info for the show, and your garage walls!

Attached Files:

19. ELD

ELD

We love you man and thank you for my men you helped shape! We are family, Get up ev'rybody and sing

20. Wow! Amazing! Mel, you are my hero! Lending roadsters out to injured vets and old timers in search of a lost love. That is a true humanitarian in my book.

Mel, you spent a lot of time helping me with ideas in building my Model A Tudor on Deuce rails. Your light gray Model A Tudor on Deuce rails you did awhile ago has been an inspiration for my build! Thank you dude!!

My 3 and 5 year old son were looking at all the pictures for this event. When my five year old saw pics of Mel he says "awwww man, there's a pirate driving that hot rod." Funny!

Sign me up for an XL T-shirt and some posters to support the cause!

I WILL be there next year for sure!

You guys are rulers!!!!!!

21. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

23. Quick story...

I got a text from my family the day after the race. I didn't get to spend time that day with my favorite people on earth, but they stood on the sand hill and cheered me on! My Aunts and Uncles, my amazing cousins, my Father whom lost his girlfreind the day before and still showed face, my sister, my son, and my friends. I did not realize this until my family talked on top of that hill amongst themselves that "race" day.
    In that text my cousin asked if I had put that #55 on my car for my Grandfather "Babe" whom we lost 2 years ago at 97 years of age. He was everything I always wanted to be. He was a life member of his fire dept and served his whole life. Even a member of the Civil Defence during war times in my hometown of Keyport, New Jersey. He layed above Keyport's oldest Fire Truck, a 1932, beneath our American flag when we layed him to rest. He was his uniform for the last time as we put him under the soil. He also war his only badge he'd ever worn that day, #55.

This I did not know...

The #55 is on my car because when I had my son "Van Riper" a little time before the remarkable Jalopy Showdown, my girlfriend told me i was going nowhere soon! Well, the night before the race she had a change of heart and gave me permission to go an run like hell. I knew I needed a number, and the proud father I am chose his birth date, May 5th. Good ole number 55!

OH, if you think I left my Mom off that list, I didn't. She lives in Florida and is pissed she missed the Race of Gentlemen. Hahahaaaa...

24. ELD

ELD

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  25. Daddy-O

Daddy-O

Congrats to Mel and all of those who made this one happen! So awesome.

26. moose

moose

I think that about sums it up.

Maybe something needs to be said of the chanting, seagull scaring monkeys that Moose and the Virgin listened to for several hours, after which they were dropped at the Monkey Farm Cafe to drink Long Trail beer. It was a long trail indeed.

Thanks again to the General and Queen Becky for all the help they gave. These two are some of the best people that I know, and I know a lot of good people. Thanks guys.

You're ready to do it all again next year, right?

27. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

next year? why do we have to wait that long?

i could use a Long Trail beer, long trail indeed. and i apologize for leaving out the crazed monkeys. i was trying to block that confounded sound out.

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

We're all proud of you dude and I think it's very very cool that your immediate family came out to cheer you on. I also think the "55" is a cool background story on the number and is even cooler it turned out to be your grandaddy's number.

29. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

JJ, we hardly got to hang! no good. we need to end up at a show where your booth is absent and my car works...

30. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yes!!!! I need to just pay someone to work that damn thing so I can catch up :D:D:D!!! I really am glad I was able to shake your hand and talk even if it was just for a second. Let's make sure we continue on where we left off Saturday. Your car looked great and I wished I would have seen it run down the beach. Keep at it, my '35 still isn't working properly haha!!!