Register now to get rid of these ads!

Local cop wants to by my '56

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cerberus, Oct 20, 2012.

1. I agree with Don. I wouldn't worry about the cop thing. But I would give him the old speech about taking care of an old car. I would go so far as to politely ask if he's going to maintain it or has found a good shop to do so. As long as he is aware then I'd sell. Maybe he wants to become a car guy?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

If your an honest guy, selling an honest car what does it matter he's an officer of the law. As long as your both happy and have a duplicate reciept, job done. Steering him to parts suppliers, forums for tech advice etc wouldn't be a bad thing. If he's a newbie i've always thrown half a dozen old hotrod mags on the back seat for the buyer. I've got 1000's of them and it always seems to be appreciated. Never know, you might make a friend along the way and its always useful to know a cop.

3. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Consider him a friend and be up front about any issues you've had with the car. There's a lot of people who are into hot rods and motorcycles that aren't real strong with a wrench. I'm one of those but thanks to the H.A.M.B. I'm learning alot! In June of this year I retired after 32 1/2 years of state law enforcement service. More time now for cars, cruise-ins and going to the drags!

4. Empty the ashtray before handover.......:p:p:D

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If you are concerned about him coming back on you...Just get him to sign a simple "as is where is agreement" before you accept any money. If he signs you are covered if he says no then move on. It ain't worth the hassle. Used cars do not come with warranties unless in writing.

I had a customer talk about how he had to sue another company and another contacted the BBB with a letter saying that the BBB had helped him in the past. I answered the BBB with my own letter and never heard anything else. I declined to work on the suit happy first customer and kept my spotless reputation intact. I

Be honest with him and if he walks be thankful that you dodged a problem.

6. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Did you really ask that!!! Gotta love this place some times. Dear hamb, I sit here on the toilet with a dirty butt. I am currently staring at a roll of toilet paper. What would you fellow HAMBers do??? Gotta love some people

7. outlaw256

outlaw256

so whats the problem? parts hot, bad title? if you are honest with everything about the car and he understands its not like a new car and its covered with as is statement. let him have it. to be honest with you ive never been real freindly with the police.i live in the south and we have alot of buford pussers here. you know carry a big stick guy.and a hell of alot of wyatt earps. but i have had a few pull me over and just to look or talk about the cars. those are also the ones who have let me go when i should have had a long list of tickets.sometimes it helps to have a cop or 2 on your side.who knows he may turn out to be a good friend.and the way i look and dress thats a good thing.lol

8. edweird

edweird

back in the 70's, a city cop stop my dad for loud pipes, and wrote him a ticket. then had the nerve to ask him what kind they were because he liked the way they sounded.wtf ?

9. sololobo

sololobo

Interesting feelings by you here. Police are treated with a different air most of the time, my cop pals have commented on the treatment lots of time and say, hey I am just another person. I like the idea he and his son are sharing your car, that is a very cool deal. Hope you sell it to them. Good luck to all. ~sololobo~

10. Sold my O/T Wheelstanding rear bumper dragging fully caged Mustang to a Deputy Sheriff, coolest cat you ever want to meet.

A real car guy you ask?

Drove it home 46 miles- with no plates on the Interstate no less.

LMAO watching him take off down the road sideways, with that ear to ear grin like a kid with a new bicycle at Christmas.

11. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Sounds like you have been honest up front with him..
    Sell it and enjoy your next project.. !!
    Good luck,
    Cheers...........

12. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

^^ this. Why are you intimidated?

13. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I've heard people say "don't sell cars to friends or people you know", they will always report future issues they encounter, which I never understood. Be honest with what you have and emphasize car is sold as is, no warranty. I tell anyone buying that while I wouldn't be afraid to drive said vehicle across the country (if I truly believe so), it could blow up tomorrow. The fact that he is a cop shouldn't be a factor. I once sold a car I had to a priest , does that mean I should worry about eternal damnation due to something mechanically failing? :)

14. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I only sell to cops.

15. Master of None

Master of None

If your real worried about it "coming back to haunt you" Make up a formal bill of sale that states "this 56 Chevy is sold AS IS." Both of you sign it, and then enjoy a possible new car guy friend. As stated before, police officers are people too. I recently helped my fire chief/deputy sheriff clean up his 396 and re-install it in his high school Chevelle. Sometimes its hard for them to find friends that treat them as just friends and not "THE COPS!"

16. Definition for, Idiosyncrasies

Shit going to happen!

You buy it, is your's !

17. clockwork31

clockwork31

What would you do if you did not know he was a cop?

as Master of none mention, specify in a contract that this a more than 50 years old USED car and it is sold as is with both signatures. I did this on every used cars I've sold and never had complains or comeback on anything.

18. carl4675

carl4675
    from Conroe, TX

I'm a police officer, it's just a way to make a living.... I love hot rods and going fast....and anyone who knows me would tell you...I'm just like ya'll...I'm just a regular guy...a car guy.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm in love with a bitch I can't stand.

19. JD Miller

JD Miller

Sell the 56 to him only if he agrees to bust the punk kids down the street that rent that house that advertize for those internet parties on facebook, charge $10 per kid to pay their rent, and blast that vulgare Rap crap "music" where 200 punk zombie kids show up every weekend raise hell, trash the neighborhood, break beer bottles up and down the street, urinate and loider in all the neighbors yards, etc

20. If you were here in Missouri I would say take it and get a saftey inspection to allieviate you from liability if there is a brake or suspension failure, otherwise just be honest with him. He is just a person.

When I was still in the Bay Area in the '80s I sold a Harley to a State Police officer. I had pieced it together so it was not a factory bike, but it did have a clean title (blue tag). I was concerned about it and ask an older friend (and brother), he said, "well I know that it isn't stolen, you know it isn't stolen, if the wheels don't fall off you have nothing to worry about." All that happened was that it garnered good will between us and the local State Police.

21. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I was a cop for 28 years. Nothing wrong with selling him the car, however, since he's not a gearhead, I would suggest a receipt stating "No warranty implied, sold as-is" and keep a signed copy. Who knows, you may make extra coin if he ever needs work done.

22. Sell him the car and throw in a dozen donuts. You`ll be golden.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I work daily with several guys on the local police force who are stone car nuts. One has a nice 67/72 Chevy truck that he works on all the time, another is filling his garage with interesting GM super cars (he's single) and another is restoring a 65 Elkie and that is just the ones I talk to on a regular basis. As someone said, having a buyer that understands that older cars need more attention and maintenance and tend to have a few issues along the way is more important in the sale.
    Hell we have guys on here from almost every job title in the book. Your choice of the why you produce your income doesn't or shouldn't influence your interest in hot rods. It shouldn't be a reason for discrimination by other car nuts either.

24. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

I'm a cop too, I can put myself in your shoes and see your inhibitions but at the end of the day we put our pant on one leg at a time just like everybody else. Being a police officer is a job it's not a genital defect. Just lay it out straight, it's an old car and like anything with tits or tires, sometimes it will give him trouble. Besides... this may just make you two buddies and it's always good to have a friend with a badge.

25. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I have just about every level of law enforcement in my family. Dispatchers, Local, County sherrif, state Highway, US marshal, and DOT. They are regular people believe it or not. They also like my cars.

There is a group around here call cops and rodders. If a cop wanted to buy my car, and I was sellin, I wouldnt have any reservation on doing it.

26. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

^^^^ HE said genital.... yuk yuk yuk!!!

I think you ment Genetic defect..... hahahah

27. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I would give a detailed description in writing of any mods with year of application, such as yr. of eng/trans, rear, front brakes if discs, etc. That way he can do general maintenance if he chooses or his local garage will know what they're dealing with. Give him a copy of Super Chevy and a catalog for 55-57 parts and he'll have all the info he needs and you'll feel better about the deal.

28. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Cops make a living on making decisions and solving problems everyday, all day! Somtimes they make bad decisions in split seconds and are judged on those decisions alone. Im sure if he buys the car and a week later something goes wrong with the car he can figure it out! I am also sure that if he came after you while in uniform it would end bad for him, not you. Official misconduct carry's a minimum 5 year bid! Sell the car and move on. Being a cop is just a job, just like any job some cops take it too seriously. Those types of cops are not into classic cars.

29. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not the cop part that would bother me - its the "not mechanically inclined" part. I recently turned down offers above my asking price for my wifes O/T mustang. I could not stand to see my work going to people who didnt appreciate the work done and wanted a pretty car for their wife or spoiled kid.

In my experience he will either spend too much $$ having someone else do the work, and it will end up being a regret to the new owner.

30. brad chevy

brad chevy

1st off you shouldn't even be asking the question here. You are the seller,he is the buyer. Talk to him about your concerns,I'm sure he is smart enough to realize he not buying a brand new car with a warranty. Explain hes buying an older car that needs to be maintained and taken care of. Cops are real people unless on T.V.