Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cleaning An Aluminum Intake Manifold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Madnomad, Sep 20, 2012.

1. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i used to either glass bead blast them or use wheel acid for semi truck wheels and a piece of steel wool works great. the acid you can get at any truck stop

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

See if your local transmission rebuilder will clean it for you.

3. rustang

rustang

I glassbeaded mine, then sent it through a "pots n pans" cycle on my wifes dishwasher...
    Tom

4. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

X2. I use the very fine white glass, (not the red garnet glass). Makes em look new. Nice sheen. I don't like the clear coat idea after glass beading. It changes the color of the aluminum to more resemble grey paint. If it gas stains, first try Gunk engine degreaser. If that don't work carefully cover painted surrounding areas and spray with Gumout carb spray or brake/parts spray.

5. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

Pics?

6. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

7. Gomojo55

Gomojo55

I've used Eagle 1 mag wheel cleaner with great success. It etches the aluminum to bring the brightness back out. Don't let it dry though. Just follow the directions on the bottle and treat it as if it was a wheel.

8. no55mad

no55mad

Spray with WD40 and then brush with a stainless steel brush (tooth brush size).

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The OP asked for things short of media blasting and then we get lots of replies on blasting it :rolleyes:

And other weird suggestions. The Aluminum Jelly will leave it looking new and preserve the original appearance.

Many of the other ideas suggested (especially the wire brushing) will alter the surface finish and appearance.

10. the boogieman

the boogieman

sounds like a job for pine sol!

11. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I don't think he's going to be happy with anything short of media blasting. And yes, I agree, wire brushing of any sort will make it look like ass.

12. rustang

rustang

+1 /\/\/\/\ I would not wire wheel it.. the brass wires would turn the aluminum black stainless wheel would still make it look like ass....media blast is the way to go IMO....but I've not done any of the chemical dips before, so who knows...

13. josh77

josh77

I use a citrus concentrate spray and an old toothbrush.

14. Hiway Star

Hiway Star

Hey Nomad - I Have done many manifolds over the years. I have found that a good SAND blasting with fine sand will clean the aluminum great. But that is just a starting point. Follow that up with a fine steel or brass wire wheel on a high speed drill motor and go over every part of the surface you can to bring up as much shine as possible. Then, while the manifold is fresh and clean, spray it with a clear single stage urethane two part finish. I use Nason clear( part of the Du Pont family of finishes) and let it cure for a couple days at 70 degrees.
    The clear will dull the manifold back toward the gray color, but will be fuel proof and all you have to do is wipe it clean... not many things stick to it.
    Whatever you do, don't use spray can paint. Even VHT clear is not the same as it once was.
    Hope this info helps.

15. jimbousman

jimbousman

....and if it is really stained and discolored you can alway paint it with one of the new mat metallic paints. Yes, yes, I know it's a sin to paint raw aluminum but done right you cannot tell the difference from a bead blast original and it will always look bright and sparkly.

16. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I've used paint stripper in the past. Looked like new.
    The next best idea was already mentioned is Purple Power Cleaner which is very much like, if not the exact same as Aluminum Wheel Cleaner, and best to use after stripping it first. Then use Green or other detergent based cleaner and run through the dish washer if you're a fanatic for show quality clean.

I would not use oven cleaner. Oxidizes ferrous as well as non-ferrous metals.
    Also, I would not clear coat if you're after an original appearance.
    Tom S.

17. I use the raw aluminum wheel cleaner