Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

[​IMG]

Who recognizes these 2 studs??

2. That's Garlits and Swingle, isn't it?

3. 296ardun

296ardun

Garlits and Malone

4. Cool photos of Runyan, VanderWoude, and Manion at KCIR. I wonder where Harrell was that day?

Attached Files:

5. I can't remember if this as been posted before. If so, I apologize.

[​IMG]

6. Are you sure its the same car? The Sites bros car/EJ biggers car in was a '66 and the one picturred earlier is a '67. Did the '66 get rebodied at some point?

Attached Files:

7. rooman

rooman

You are probably right. I went back and looked at the photos of both cars and the one in the recent post looks more like a Logghe style chassis like the one that Butch Leal and others ran while the original Scootin' Cuda was most likely a steel body car from the era before the flip tops took over.

That said,I did some research recently on Biggers' last car which was a 70/71 Duster and there were several references to him having run the ex Sites car prior to the Duster. The pictured car may be the Duster in an earlier incarnation as the Duster appears to have a Logghe style chassis too. It appears that he was usually about a year behind the well sponsored front running teams. The next question would be, "whose old car was the 67 in the photo?"
    Years ago Roger Lindamood told me that there were not a lot of new Color Me Gone cars, just the prior year's version with new grille and tail lights and I know from working on the Sox and Martin E body 'Cuda that it had at least one rear fascia change as you could see where the spot welds had been drilled out.

Roo

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  8. Dick Gazan, Tom Dawes, and Owen McKenney at New England Dragway with the Freedom Machine top fueler. Three outstanding people that I miss terribly.

[​IMG]

9. Jack Doyle stands behind his Slider top gas dragster at New England Dragway with a watchful eye.

[​IMG]

10. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

:D Art Malone & Don Garlits

11. Interesting...I'd have to check around town to verify, but I'd guess that the '67-'68 Sites Brothers 'Cuda became the Mr. Plymouth car.
    [​IMG]
    (Dean Miller photo)
    [​IMG]
    (Unknown photographer)
    [​IMG]
    (Unknown photographer)
    [​IMG]
    (November '67 issue of Drag World...probably the same event as the other shots posted by BHW)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  12. And his Duster...I wish I had some color shots of it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. WCD

WCD

Thats Jeff Gordons (Not NASCAR Gordon of course) Cuda isnt it?

14. WCD

WCD

Note that each was relying on a different safety equip manufacturer for their suit. Runyon was donning a Simpson while Vander Woude had a Tri-Form and Manion had a Ansen. Lou Senter of Ansen made everything just about. M/T was selling suits too for a while as was Ed Weddle of J&M Muffler.

15. WCD

WCD

I met Tom the Mongoose McKwen at a book signing in Burbank. He told me how came up with the idea of adding a painters filter mask to the hood of his Simpson hood in order to filter out the exhaust fumes that would build up in the cockpit area. They used the same filters relied upon by miners as those would actually deal with carbon monoxide.

16. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Nice shots,Don.
    Cool Epping will have Hot Rod reunion next year.
    Did you make Burlington?

17. One from Carl Biggers.

[​IMG]

18. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

At the York Dragway reunion few years back,Don was the featured guest.Showed him my scrapbook pics of the match race with Ron Abbotts"Hellzapoppin" at South Glens Falls in 1966.I wrote captions and times of each pic in all my scrapbook pics.Don was digging the times posted and proceeded to tell me about how they woke up the 426.
    Could not get it to mph and the other guys were quicker.So Connie Kalitta tells him you gotta bump the lead up a bunch.So he did.
    He signed my scrapbook on 2 pages and snapped a pic.Pretty cool.

19. Thanks, Dennis! I heard that Biggers' Duster was a pretty good looking car and they were right.

20. Looks like Biggers got more then one of the Sites Bros old rides. Interesting stuff.

21. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Tony Nancy made them in leather !!

22. Yes it is...

23. Thank you...

We are all looking forward to the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion next year and remember that the dates have gone back to the original of September 12 13 14 2013.

We did go to Burlington last weekend and had a very nice time. We drove up Thursday morning with 7 hot rods. Took the 39 as it has seats that are more comfortable than the Nomad. I see bucket seats and a new interior in the Nomad's future. Already looking forward to next year.

My best to you...

24. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

Man, a hot rod reunion at epping, that sounds great!!!

Did they have muscle cars at burlington again this year, or did they put the cut off date back to '48?

25. Yes he did,,the picture you posted is the aluminized leather version.

26. There were muscle cars there...

I think NSRA needs the later year cars to survive, as do GoodGuys.

At this stage of the game nobody can say no to any cars within reason.