Register now to get rid of these ads!

a story about losing my first hot rod and finding it once again..happy ending include

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56don, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Here is a story a lot of you have been wondering about:

Beginning; About 1975, I bought a 32 5 window coupe at the Noccolula Falls car show in Gadsden Alabama. It was an old hot rod made supposedly back in the 50s. Word I got was it had an Olds engine in it before I got it. It was kind of crude with unknown parallell leaf rear springs, 54-55? Ford rearend and a hacked up firewall and K member, old 1940 Oldsmobile gauge panel, real old style stuff,but it was rust free with leaded in cowl vent and roof. I fell in love and bought it with every dime I could scrape up.
    I put it back into running condition with my limited resources and no talent because it was the first old car I attempted to build. When asked if I would sell it, I repeatedly said it would never see another owner. But as I slowly realized it was poorly built I decided to take it all apart and re do it the right way this time. Well, as we all know, life happens. Trying to raise three kids alone, the old deuce stayed in my garage in pieces for about 2 or three years when in a fit of udder stupidity, I sold it on October 10, 1988 for less than what a hood goes for now.(Yes, I wrote down the date)
    I lost track of the name of the person I sold it to in a town about 30 miles away and I always wondered what happened to it. Was it cut up and turned into some ratty junker? I could not find any leads but I missed it dearly.
    Fast forward to some time in 2009. Surfing the HAMB I spotted a photo that HRP had posted of his 32 5 window. Is that the old wood dash I made back in 1975 or 76 for my old coupe? I got both a chill and a joy at seeing that dash. So I contacted him and over some correspondence, we came to realize that his car was my first old hot rod. I was happy to see a person get it that knew how to value such a great car but sad that I had found it and it was so nice that it was probably out of my reach if it should ever come up for sale.
    It turns out if I have the info correct,that the man I sold it to never built it but sold it again and that owner had it rebuilt. But the builder just put it back more or less the way I had it originally before I decided to remake it. After some use it was again sold and sat for a couple of decades stored away.
    Danny had known of the car for many years and was finally able to buy it. Realizing it needed some better engineered construction, he decided to let it go. When I found this out, I could not let anything stop me from trying to buy back my long lost first love. By hook (but not crook) I was able to come up with the money to buy it back. Danny was exceptionally great in working with me in order to make a long long dream come true.
    I picked it up today, happy as I have been in a long time. Haven't slept good for days thinking about it. I got home after dark so there are no photos of my silly ass grin pulling into my driveway.
    My old car will once again take up the very same spot it was in in 1988 when I made the mistake of a lifetime and let it go.I will put her there tomorrow when I can see what I am doing. I will now proceed to gradually, step by step put the car in the condition it deserves to be in.
    Thanks a million Danny, you realize how great it is to get back an old car that you never should have let go of.
    Oh, and this time I mean it...."This car will NEVER see another owner."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  2. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Nearly brought a tear to my eye.

Congrats - post up some more pictures.

Edit - Just realized where I saw that car earlier today, leaving the previous caretaker.

3. chigger

chigger

awesome, just awesome

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. Good for you, that's great!

5. blue68deville

blue68deville

Congratulations! Nice to see one come back from the land of the lost.

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Thats a super story!!

7. Don,now the cats outta the bag! :D

I couldn't think of a better outcome than for you to get the old coupe back.

This is a photo from earlier today. HRP

Thankfully I had this photo on my computer so this is on that photobucket didn't screw up forever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  8. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

RAD! and congrats!!!!

9. great - and what - no pictures of that dash?.....guess my little - on topic - 64 SS Nova would be one I'd like to get back....

10. That dash won't survive the next incarnation. It was for a different time and a different mindset!:eek:

11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Cool deal. Earlier today I read about Hotrodprimer selling the car, now we know the whole story.

12. Mercchev

Mercchev

What a GREAT story...Good on ya, HRP

13. Your wish is my command! HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Outstanding.May you both"Live long and prosper".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

16. shoebox50

shoebox50

Very happy for you!

17. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Smiling like a cat that just ate a canary. Man what a great story and beautiful car.

18. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Congratulations - what a great story and what a great couple of car guys!

19. myktrans

myktrans

super cool story and happy ending! :-D

20. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Great story, and a wonderful ending too.
    Good for you..I like stories like this with a happy ending...
    Cheers......

21. The HAMB is full of good people who make good car stories happen.

22. Ha ha, you think that is funny, you should have seen the bright red crushed velvet diamond tufted seats and door panels it had in the 70s!

dana barlow likes this.
  23. My favorite photo.. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Fantastic story with a great ending! Glad to see you reunited with your old car.

25. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Great story. Maybe its just me but I like the dash. Good looking car.

26. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Awesome story! Good for both parties involved; sounds like everyone got what they wanted.

Now, if anyone knows of a '38 Ford Standard Coupe with a Camaro subframe and a '72 Vette IRS floating around somewhere, let me know. That's the one that got away from me...twice!

27. Great story...Glad you got it back!

28. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Glad to read your story. My dream 32 5W still rests 3 blocks from my house and I don't think I can ever get it. But I'll make do with the 3 project dreams I still do own.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

hell i would put the velvet tufted seats and panels back in! i still dig the 70s style whore house upholstery! Seeing cars with the 70s look reminds me of when i was a little kid going to the street rod nationals with my mom and dad.

30. demonsix

demonsix

Congrats on finding you're coupe after all these years. I had seen HRP post about selling it earlier and couldn't wait to here the story.