Register now to get rid of these ads!

What makes the 32 Ford cpe better than the 31

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pearl31, Sep 17, 2012.

1. I like all of Ford's coupes. The v/8 was the big deal about 32 Fords. They actually sold more Model "B"s than v/8 cars. The ego of 32 owners is why they are popular.

I would take a 32 or a 31. The model car industry also supported the 32 more than Model "A"s.

There were not many 32 Fords in this area but there were a bunch of Model "A"s.There were at least five Model "A"s in our neighborhood in the fifties. The high school parking lot had a bunch of Model"A"s in the fifties and sixties.

They always praise the 40 Ford coupe. I like the 40 Standard and the 39 Deluxe better than the 40 deluxe. There were five or six 39 deluxe coupes or 40 standards in town during the fifties and sixties. I thought they were cool. The 40 deluxe just did not stand out like the 39 deluxe and the 40 standard. I think the grill and the hood was not as good looking on the 40 deluxe.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. Model T1

Model T1

By reading these posts, and many others, it's easy to see many rodders don't know shit from Shinola..!! I don't believe some of you even can tell the difference in a stock 31 Model A and a 32 Ford of any body style. And contrary to popular belief 32 Fords were not made of fibreglass or came with a SBC.
    It is a rare thing to see a stock 32 Ford on the highway anymore. If a stock 32 Ford was such a great car then why are 99% of the ones we see 99% non-stock? Many don't have a Ford part on them!

But to get back to the question "What makes the 32 Ford cpe better than the 31"?????????? The answer is rodders, the urge to follow the in-crowd, and money!:)
    Possibly the same thing that made the Model A better than a Model T, progress.
    Had the 32 Ford not had a V-8 none of this may have happened till the SBC came along.

3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I have one and you don't

4. Deuces

Deuces

I'd take the '55 over a '54 any day of the week!...:D

5. donnie

donnie
    from NC

Ok, I will take a shot at the question
    Better looking frame, no need to channel it to look good.
    Less square, looks faster sitting still.
    They are bigger, Wider longer so a little more room inside.
    Less made so of course they are more people want something that is rare.
    (yes i know there are more 32s out there now than what Ford made)

A story I read on the HAMB many years ago, the 3 window was built to be more desirable for women.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  6. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had them both and each were better in their own way. 32 parts are more expensive for sure and guys that have them want even more when you need them.

7. erlomd

erlomd

its all in the lines....in 1932 ford just got it all right!

8. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

9. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I've had both and I can honestly say that from behind the wheel at 60mph they're pretty much the same. Build it and drive it!

10. cayager

cayager

well said

11. I am still not sure that I can tell a 32 from a 33 or 34...
    Never really paid that close attention to those cars before. I have always liked em but just never considered owning one because of the high prices on them.

12. A Rodder

A Rodder

I am only 32 but when I first got into cars, I could only tell the difference between the two by whether or not it had a visor. When a roadster would go by things got difficult.

I don't have the duece disease. It is probably because of cost. I have had lots of A's though. Just bought one yesterday and two others in the last 3 months.

I can't say that the A's are better. All I know is I really like them and they can be done up really well. Generally speaking though I think that most 32 owners that are not on the HAMB really want to them or own them because they are the envy of others.

All I can say is I really like that the value of A's make it fairly affordable to have a hot rod.

13. A Rodder

A Rodder

I do have a 32 frame slated to go under the coupe in my Avatar though.
    That and the shell are about all the 32 stuff I can swing!

14. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

^^^^^^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^^^^

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Dont get a T. I just bought one, and my wife seems to find me considerably LESS attractive...

16. mickeyc

mickeyc

Funny you would ask that question. I have a 32 body(3 window) no chassis or floors for that matter. I paid what was a considered an excellent price at the time. About 5 years ago. Two years ago I bought a complete running 31 model A for about the same amount I have in the deuce, including a good bit of parts I have collected. When I show my buddies the two together, they are amazed at the "value" the duece may command compared to the A. Me to!

17. Camel

Camel
    from oroville

Cause Milner drove one

18. Larry T

Larry T

So that's why they were popular in the 50s and earlier?

Or maybe Milner drove one because Lucas knew they were popular.

19. That comment there reeks of envy LOL

20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Put this thread out of it's misery. I am a Chevy Man but even I understand and appreciate the Iconic 32 Ford and the Model A. I also know the difference between a 32 and a 33/34 Ford and I also know why 55 Chevys are more popular than 54 Chevys and I knew this back in the early 70s when I was like ten years old. I just can't believe that some you guys just don't get it. Maybe it's time for you to find a new hobby like Crochet

21. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

All things said, I prefer A Coupes in chopped hot rod form, but it's impossible to ignore the appeal of a done-right Deuce roadster or coupe.

22. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Not really but I think both bodies have their respective pros and cons. I would love a 3W deuce but I'll probably end up building one out of a Model A coupe long before I own a steel deuce body.

I would probably graft a '32-'34 windshield and header in however, and chop it heavily, so it really would look more like a deuce than a Model A.

I guess, basically, the answer to your question really is "no." But that's the beauty of hot rodding, there's virtually no limit on what can be done tastefully.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. And you are also very good at picking an avatar.
    How about showing us the big size pic of them?:D

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're the worst kind. You even speak proper English!!:eek::eek::eek:

25. The more you post, the less I like you..

40 years ago, these cars where 0nly 40 years old or 15 years old .
    Now they are 80 years old or 55 years old. Put that into perspective.
    There's fresh blood entering this hobby every single day. Each with a different background and different level of knowledge. The common thing they have is that they want to know more.

You have an opportunity to help them, there's two ways that you can do that. Offer some of your experience in a constructive way or STFU! !

26. I am a Chevy guy too. How I ended up loving Flatheads is kind of a fluke.
    That being said... Yes, I completly "get" the tri 5's, although I always prefered the 55 because of the rear wheel wells.
    But the early 30's Ford coupes somehow just never caught my eye. I am always reminded of the ZZ Top video and that wasn't even a 32. My dad always wanted a 32 - 34, so I was always on the lookout for one. I was always shocked at how much people wanted for them no matter the condition. Just because of what is was.
    Dad passed away last June so I guess I can stop looking now... Shit, who am I kidding? I will probably have one someday just because of him. :)

27. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

We have a Model A coupe because its the only thing we could afford. I don't envy deuce owners. Yes, theyre nice and they have their own characteristic details but I'm not chomping at the bit to own one. I don't put '32 owners on their own level either. It's still a coupe and the majority of non diehard car enthusiasts wouldn't be able to tell the difference if the two were parked next to eachother. Liek another has said: there are lot of horribly built cars on both sides and a lot of really nice ones too. Build what you like and drive it; that's all that matters. For me, the world does not start and end with a deuce coupe. Carry on...

28. Model T1

Model T1

Dad passed away last June so I guess I can stop looking now... Shit, who am I kidding? I will probably have one someday just because of him. :)[/QUOTE]
    And that my friend is reason enough ! This and other reasons, having nothing to do with the actually differences in the Model A and the 32 Ford.

The closest I got to owning a 32 Ford was a 4-door with Pinto running gear in Wisconsin back in the 80's. Couldn't afford even that and can't afford one now. But there are many nice Model A's that would make me happy if I ever decide to start another project I would never finish.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  29. To me the difference is the '32 has more gentle lines. I like the '30-'31 Model A over the '28-'29 for the same reason. I also think it has a lot to do with the fact that it was easy to install a late engine in a '32 (referring first to flatheads and then SBC Chevys in the fifties and early sixties) and thus it became the car to hot rod. Once it became the car to hot rod it became the car to have.

Charlie Stephens

30. Model T1

Model T1

Well written. This is it exactly. Took 121 posts but this sums it up!:)
    And once it became the car to have everyone wanted to have one!~