Register now to get rid of these ads!

engine color

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billcove, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Model T1

Model T1

[QUOTE="T'RANTULA";8172618]I got the idear from my welding helmet. :D[/QUOTE]
    I'd get dizzy everytime I looked at your helmet--------Dizzier !;)

2. billcove

billcove
    from mass

the car is a burgundy type color. bill

3. Whatever 49 Merc engine color was.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think this is the best suggestion of all. The stock Merc color is a very nice light to medium green.

Ray

5. I like SBCs in orange. If you were to paint it gloss white it will run hotter.Good luck with your choice, matching the original motors color sound cool. JW

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  6. As the kids say: when in doubt paint that shit gold.
    The kids do say that?

7. outlaw256

outlaw256

how? thats one ive never heard of ... ive built alot of sbc but ive only painted 3 chevy orange. that color looks terrible!!lol traditional but terrible.just fininshed my wife ot 67 impala and painted it gold. the firewall, inner fenders a arms. and steering is all painted gold. along with the block and heads. covered the engine in chrome goodies and it looks pretty damn good! whatever color we paint a car we paint the engine or we just paint it black.black also hides leaks..lol

8. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

one more "gay" and i'm it.

9. Darker colors get rid of heat the best, matt even better and lighter colors dont with gloss being the worst. Think your cars radiator and your fridge or get two cans,paint one matt black,the other gloss white and fill them with boiling water and meassure what one cools faster. You will be suprised. JW

10. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Engines don't get nearly hot enough - i.e. radiate IR at a high enough frequency - for colour to make much of a difference. We've discussed this before.

11. Irishman

Irishman

Isn't patina the new "thing"?

Just put it on an engine stand and leave outside in the rain for a day or so. Spray with some muriatic acid to make it really pop.

Don't forget those tetanus shots though if you ever intend to work on it!

12. You sure you don't want to reconsider and edit your post?

13. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

That seems to be the new fad these days and i can't say i like it. :mad:

14. atomickustom

atomickustom

I think the engine color on any custom or kustom should always either match the body color or go well with it. I HATE an orange engine in a burgundy car. (And I never understand why the muscle car guys will put wheels and tires and paint and even an interior that their car never came with, but still paint the motor that god-awful bright orange??)

If your car is maroon/burgundy I would suggest either matching it for the motor OR go with silver or gold. Even gray. Black is too cheap looking (and looks like every crate motor) and white is too high-maintenance.
    I have spoken, and so it shall be!! (<=That means he has to do what I say, right??)

15. atomickustom

atomickustom

Never thought about that particular problem, but I don't like a 30 year-old model that looks like a 12-year old one!

16. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

What color would it be if they pulled the engine from a Chevy back in the day? Chevy Orange! And use the original valve covers too.

I'm going to paint the Buick Nailhead the original green color when I drop it into the Nash. That's the new (old) fad....

[​IMG]

17. Finally something more useful in this thread.
    I prefer a narrow runner

18. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

It's YOUR ride,.... Paint it how YOU like it !!!!

4TTRUK

19. billcove

billcove
    from mass

Thanks for all the advice. I think i will go with the color of the car.??? bill

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sendin you a bill for cleaning the tea off my laptop!!!!!

I fuckin rollin as I type this!!! LMFAO!!!!

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Paint that thing screamin yellow and slather it up in chrome. If it's the car in your avatar, you might be surprised how kool that would look.

22. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I am working in the same direction. I have a motor that is ready for paint, not sure what color the truck will end up. I am thinking of dressing the engine to look like a engine that was a special package availible in the same year as the truck even if my motor was not availible in that year. I am thinking a totally factory looking engine with the "special" decals and all. If I would have owned FORD, I would have built it that way!

23. 392

24. spiders web

spiders web

I like sbcs at the bottom of the lake as they work well as boat anchors and the fishies love swimming in and out for exercise.

25. Fish do have class !! :) JW

26. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

27. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

All of my engines are red, always have been and always will be.

28. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I'm on board with the silver, grey, or gold color choice in a burgundy car. That would be a nice accent. A burgundy engine might look decent, but it would all blend together under the hood. I think a contrasting color adds some visual interest.

29. Wow, you musta got beat up alot by them. :p

30. diamond jeff

diamond jeff
    from montana

How about faux rocket valve covers and air cleaner, and paint it 50 olds green. Whatever you can do to make it not look like a sbc. No billet, no giant hei dist, no polished performer carb. You have a nice kustom merc, keep 'em guessing under the hood too.