Register now to get rid of these ads!

suicide front end help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52plybizcoupe, Aug 21, 2012.

1. I need some help hopefully someone has some pics of what I need.
    I have wish bones the ugly bent ones with a mount for the spring welded through and on to the inside of the bone. I have seen pics somewhere of a mount similar but with a hoop all the way around the bone to help keep it from failing. Just wondering what your guys opinion is on this way of mounting and how you would make and weld on such a mount.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Have some patience. It was midnight when you posted this, maybe anyone who can offer some help is asleep. :)

Don

3. it was up a full day and 80 some od views figured some one would have chimed in by now

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Oops, sorry. I saw 11 Pm and assumed you just posted it last night. :eek:

Ok, to start the ball rolling, it sounds like you have 46-48 bones because of that curve. On any suicide front end you are essentially putting a stress on the bones in a spot where they were not designed to take it. So, it is best to reinforce that area to help carry the load.

It sounds to me like you are talking about where people have slid some gussets over the bones, welded all around, and then mounted the spring off of that spot. Yes, that works pretty well. I have also welded a gusset to the underside of the bones and mounted a perch to that plate. I used 1/4 inch steel and tied it into the forged part in front and for a distance of maybe 8 inches back. Fully welded it made the bones stronger.

I'll try to find a picture for you, and sorry about misreading your post time.

Don

Here is a picture before welding.

[​IMG]

5. 117harv

117harv

Here are a couple of examples. Nothing wrong with the later dipped bones.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  6. sweet man thats the kinda ideas I'm looking for i will try to dig out the car and get a pic of the way it is now so you guys can see what I'm dealing with

harv
    that first picture is kinda what i was thinking of doing

7. 117harv

117harv

Here are a couple more.

Attached Files:

8. ty johnson

ty johnson

Here's one i did for my 36 IHC.
    [​IMG]

9. ty johnson

ty johnson

10. striper

striper

The 2nd and 3rd ones Harv posted are my ugly bones. This is a photo of the ugly chassis during assembly.
    [​IMG]

Pete

11. ya those look like the same bones my mount is farther up the bone towards the axel so not as much strain on them maybe

12. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brett, think of it this way, The whole weight of the front end is supported by those spring mounts through the bones.. The more the load is spread out into a greater are, theoretically the strong the mount will be.. also, be weary of the bones twisting since the weight is offset and not pushing straight down on top of the bone.. There is a lot of leverage that torques the bone in set ups like this.. And make it look pretty :) Where is the car at, you folks?

13. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

P.S. I like the bent wishbones!

14. ya its in the car port but it will be at my house soon so i can get back to work on it

15. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, holler at me when you get going on it again I'll come help.

16. for shure i will call ya J

17. What length front spring is being used for a setup like this. I have a 36 year axle and a later axle with a 38 1/2" distance between perch holes.