Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Bonneville road trip and salt pics 2012!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Earlier this year I was thrashing to get my 34 roadster on the road when I had to choose my vacation weeks off from work. I noticed that Bonneville week was up for grabs so I quickly snagged it and called Jamie to see if she wanted to go. I have gone with Her Dad in years past but Jamie has never gone. She was very excited and I said if the roadster was on the road, why not drive it? The seed was planted.

Well that happened and this past Friday I got off work at 1, we loaded the car with as many spare parts and tools I thought I may need and hit the road! To most people the odds where against us- A "notorious" oil burning, water puking, overheating flathead powered car with a simple non overdrive 3 speed tranny, tapered axle shafts, bias ply tires and crappy Ford juice brakes in 100 degree heat and NO top. But I am glad to report the car had ZERO issues and handled 1500 hot miles without a hickup! I did burn the speedo cable in half as it must have been resting on the header and I rigged up a vent for the rear end before we left and high RPM's pushed fluid out of it...I had to add 3 quarts of lube over the trip but that's a simple fix. We ran around 60 MPH most the time, sometimes faster, sometimes slower but took mainly old highways and tried to stay off interstates.

So here we are heading out Friday afternoon. Luckily it was turing out to be a cool evening and we also avoided the HUGE rainstorm that was happening 700 miles South of us in Wendover. Oh, and did I mention Jamie took 98% of these photos?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. We went South strait down Idaho. We had to take a detour as a forest fire was going on South of McCall, ID. We made it to Boise late that night and stayed at my friend Mike's (208custom) house. Woke up early and he and his Father in law joined us and we finished up the last 300 miles to Bonneville.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our "camp". Thats Jamie's Dad's 39 Dodge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Monday we decided to wake up early and get some sun up shots. If you have been to Bonneville and have not done this, you are missing out!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couple buddy's of mine heading out early

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Chris - Nice pics! ... Thanks for sharing your (& Jamie's) adventure with us!

8. sophisto79

sophisto79

Congrats on a great trip and awesome pics! My buddy Jasan and I tried to have my '50 shaken down for the trip but it didn't work out, so we went in the boring daily. Had a blast and we're hooked. Glad y'all got to make it out. Hope to meet up with more HAMBers next year!

Oh yeah, and the roadster's lookin' really good!

9. We started heading back Monday AM. Stopped at Mike's Uncles in Twin Falls, ID and I (for like the 10th time) checked the rear end lube

[​IMG]

We also stopped in an old junk yard in Southern Idaho that has a TON of good stuff! Bad news is most the good stuff os not for sale, and if it is the prices are out of sight! Heres a few pics and a link to all the ones I took. Neat yard to walk through though, it's 120 acres!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/hotrodder_66/wadells pickup/Junk yard/?start=0

We stayed at Mikes in Boise, ID again Monday night, and hit the road this morning getting home this afternoon. It was a beautiful drive, got a bit hot (over 100 in Lewiston, ID!) but overall an awesome trip! We had a blast, the car did not use a drop of oil or coolant, and just performed flawlessly. If you have never been to Bonneville, you are missing out. I cannot wait until next year!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was on White Bird Pass, just North of Hell's Canyon. There's a reason they call it that, it is HOT!!! This pass is 14 miles long, 7.5% grade and it was 97 degrees! The ol flathead deserved a break!!! This time and going up the Lewiston grade where the only two time the car got above 200 degrees! It has a stock radiator, rebuilt pumps and NO thermostats. I'm just tickled by how it performs

[​IMG]

And Jamie and I high fiving in the driveway tonight for such an epic roadtrip :D

[​IMG]

10. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Chris car looks great,Jamie nice pics. Great road trip, Thanks for sharing.

11. Chris: Great shots.....

12. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

Thanks for sharing.

13. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

Great pics. Looked like a fun trip.

14. ausbuick

ausbuick

i didn't see any junk in that yard dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. thanks for the great pics chris!!

16. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

AWESOME road trip! The roadster looks right at home out on the salt. Congrats on the successful shakedown run. Thanks for the pics!

17. Great thread...............but your trying to tell me you drove that roadster out of your street without a T5......what are you crazy :)

18. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Thanks for sharing.

19. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

20. mow too much

mow too much

Great pictures, I came real close to going this year.........but maybe next year. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us it looks like you had a fun time.

21. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Living the dream.

22. Good shots...looks like you had a great time. Thanks for posting.

23. brady1929

brady1929

Great pics, thanks

24. ryno

ryno

awesome trip man
    thanks for posting it
    always helps when you have a supportive wife!

25. Great pics - I've been to Bonneville in 1990 but not during Speed Week. It is definitely on my bucket list but I have to drive a hot rod there for speed week. I just can't be there any other way ....

26. you lucky rascal. me and the wife hope to go next year. road trip of a lifetime. thanks for sharing the pics.

27. Great stuff Chris....living the dream mean hats off to ya !

Rat

28. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

Great thread Chris! Glad ya had a good time, thanks for sharing!

29. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

DUDE...fabulous pictures...thanks for taking us along!!!

30. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

lucky Tard of Bass...

kidcampbell71 likes this.