Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 40 Ford Pickup Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mj40's, Nov 3, 2010.

1. I got mine from Midwest Early Ford, it was great. I beleive they get their's from Northern Classic Trucks.

2. mj40's

mj40's

Going thru some burn-out issues and have been doing some needed fixing on my coupe. No new or good news on finishing the body and paint. I need to get off my butt and get the exhaust work done and get this nailhead fired. That would get my blood flowing.

3. Glad to hear it's nothing serious, we all have burn-out from time to time and the older I get the more it seems to hit. Your doing an AWESOME job on your PU keep it going!

I've been waiting to get mine in the shop again to re-do the past chassis work so I have time to do a little detail on mine, made some wooden louvers on my gas filler lid and finished the wood under the bed, two more pieces of the puzzle out of the way.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2012
    '52 F-3 likes this.
  4. mj40's

mj40's

Nice work and good detail. Looking good. I still need to deal with the bed wood on mine.

5. 41 Street Rod

41 Street Rod

Man, that's a good looking truck!

I just noticed looking through all the posts. There are a lot of 40s that have posted. Are the 40's more popular than the 41's?

6. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

40's and 41's are essentially the same truck. The differences are in the parking light lenses, the hood and dash emblems and the majorly large art deco style hood ornament on the 41. I have also seen many ads for 40's that are actually 41's. The other big differences are the engines, hubcaps and tailgate. You see, in 1941, Henry offered the V-8, a flathead straight 6 and a 4 banger out of a 9-N tractor. All references to the V-8 are missing on the 41 truck. There were v-8 markings on the hubcaps, tailgate and hood ornament. The 41 trucks also used a different inner hood latch assembly and radiator support on the 6 cylinder models. It was quite a shoe horn operation to get a straight 6 in there. I'm no expert but I got my information from a book called "2 great trucks, the 40 and 41 Fords" It was written by a guy named Howard Towne from NH. I have visited him at his shop (which is exactly in the middle of nowhere!) He knows his stuff for sure. Do a web search for the book if you're interested in the 40 and 41 Ford trucks. I think Drake even sold the book for a while. I can't remember where I got my copy.

7. 41 Street Rod

41 Street Rod

Great information... Thank you for sharing.

8. tnich123

tnich123

Ok I am sure I missed it but what is the parking brake handle from? I am at that point in mine where I need to install a parking brake and I like the way you did yours I just need to save myself some time hunting for a brake handle.

Thanks

9. mj40's

mj40's

I believe it came from a 80's Mustang.

10. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

I wanted to let you know I have subscribed to your build sometime back and have followed ever since. You are building a very cool truck. I can't imagine doing a build thread. When I was first building mine I would get burnt out and go long periods of time without even looking at it. I still have a very long way to go. I made the mistake of starting to drive mine before I was finished. Thanks for keeping us posted.

11. thishero

thishero

Jedidiah, I know exactly where you're coming from. I've had my 57 f100 for three years, and it seems like it's going to be forever, but I life has other priorities for my time so I'll be patient. In the mean time I really enjoy reading threads like MJ's it helps to keep me inspired. Thanks MJ

12. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

any pics of the S 10 and suburban seats? thanks

13. mj40's

mj40's

S-10 Seat narrowed to fit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Back fit as stock. Just the seat needed moved in at the front to follow the door lines.
    [​IMG]

14. speters

speters

Looking good! Where did you purchase your spark plug wires?

15. mj40's

mj40's

I bought them from alliance member (The Hot Rod Company) and saved 10%. :)
    http://www.thehotrodcompany.com/

16. speters

speters

Thanks for the info!

17. Love your build, really coming out nicely.
    On that S10 seat, it looks like you made a pie cut towards the rear of the frame, and removed a portion at the front. Were you able to maintain the original position of the seat track and the webbing, or were they relocated inwards also?
    Thanks for your build thread, great info.

18. mj40's

mj40's

You are correct in the cuts and they did not effect the seat track mounting and webbing. All I had to do is trim the seat foam on both sides. Now I need to get busy and cover this thing.

19. R COLE

R COLE
    from OC

Early in this article, you mentioned matching a type II pump pressure to a ford rack. Did you find a solution ? Your 40 coupe looks great, but mine is at 5 9/10 from chin to ground and the bottom is about scrapped off. ron

20. mj40's

mj40's

Sorry no updates. I have been busy helping my aging parents. My mother is in the middle stages of Alzheimer’s and 130 miles away. She is abusive and my 94 year old dad is taking the beatings. Sad and having trouble getting any agency to help. Thank god I have this hobby to get me through it.
    No problem matching the Type II pump to T-Bird rack. Just have to come up with the right hose fittings to finish that one up.
    My grill chin also on my coupe is missing paint. About the same height as yours and a speed bump in my neighborhood will scrape every time. Just go out another direction.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  21. mj40's........hang in there, it's tough I know, we are going thru the very same thing with my wife's parents.

Glad to see you back on here!
    cw.

22. Yeah hang in there or better said HANG ON! my mom took care of my grandmother and i experienced some really bizzare things that grandma did. It's a full time job + as..... just a bummer.

23. b-bob

b-bob

Sorry to hear of your mom, you're right though, this hobby is great for getting your mind off your problems.
    I have been following along with your posts and look forward to seeing what you do next. A lot of good information here.

24. Sorry to hear about your Mom. We've all missed your posts but they can wait till you get the priorities taken care of. Here's wishing you and your family some peace and well being. -ken

25. mj40's

mj40's

Thanks all for the concerns. I was heading home after a much needed vacation Saturday and got the call for help. I'm camped out in their yard and working on getting them into a memory care home. Not going good as of today but hope to be back to car building soon.

26. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

Your Mom and Dad are lucky to have a good son to help them. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

27. Mj40s, hoping that you're making progress on getting things in order for your folks. Whenever you get back to the thread, I was hoping you might share what electric fan you're running on this build. I had hoped to run a mechanical fan & shroud with my sbc, but after stabbing radiator I see it's just too tight. Looks like I need to use an electric pusher.

28. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Sorry to hear of these difficulties Mel. My folks have been in a retirement community for about 5 years, they are both in their early 90's, I can't imagine what it would be like to have them elsewhere. They recently moved to the assisted care area of their place. Hope you can get yours stabilized soon.

29. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I have been there and understand what you are going thru. As adults we have to do what needs to be done. My prayers are with you and your parents. We should never place Cars above people.