Register now to get rid of these ads!

Teflon tape or?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guy1unico, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

No tape, I just use the Teflon style squirt pipe dope in a tube, available at any place that sells plumbing supplies

2. x 2

3. mitchsfab

mitchsfab

I use red loctite on all npt. With the taper of the thread you still can remove it.

4. joethehuman

joethehuman

I've used rectorseal 5 pipe thread sealant. Comes in a tube from plumbing dept. at the hardware store. You can use the use the connection immediantely on pressure under 100 psi. I've used it on threaded fuel line with double flare and it stopped the weeping right away.

5. jazzbum

jazzbum

yep, that's the stuff

6. bardahl1

bardahl1

A very smart mechanic with very high credentials told me to only use anti-sieze on pipe theads. It has always worked for me. Him too, trophy's to prove it.

7. Rectorseal,,,now THATS a name I havn't heard in awhile.A friend that worked at Douglas Aircraft scored me some of it ages ago

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Now that we know what everybody likes, I'd be checking the threads of the fitting and the manifold. I was a steamfitter for 16 years and never had a joint leak due to the type of pipe dope that I used. Your preference for a dope won't cause a joint to leak or not leak. It's just a personal preference.

Check the fitting/manifold very carefully.