Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Barn fresh A...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gamlebilrokker, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Very nice find. Like your plan. You will have a great time with it. Liked your drawing, now get to work. LOL

2. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

this guy aint kidding!

3. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Good for you.
    I love to hear stories like this..
    Now enjoy!
    Cheers......

4. richie rebel

richie rebel

looks good,keep us updated............

5. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

[​IMG]

Just couldn't resist. That's the famous Ed Roth "Race?" Airbrush, but adjusted so that the car matches my Tudor (or what the car shall kind of look like)... Enjoy!

turboroadster and kiwijeff like this.
  6. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Now.

I got rid of my Cadillac, and as soon as I had the pink slip handed away I called the A dude, and he delivered it the day after. That was somewhen around begining of may. Since then alot happened so bare with me. I put alot of pics so you won't fall asleep ok?

The car came with flat tyres, but with a clean tank and some other stuff so it could be started fairly easy. As bonus there was the original danish paperwork, which stated that this thing was taken off the roads in 1962, what makes exactly 40 years of storage in that barn somewhere in northern Denmark. Whoever stored it had chicken, the whole roof was covered with shit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The same day it arrived at my place a buddy of mine came with a trailer, and hauled it to my workshop which is 100 miles south of here, and there the car sat for a while, because I was "redoing" my life, meaning new house with a barn, new girlfriend and lots of other things on my mind. I drove down there once, just to get it started...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cke9Jsqnlck&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Crappy quality but you get the picture. It ran, and that was the most important thing for me.

During the month of moving the only thing I did except of thinking alot about the A, was another drawing, this time no fenders...

[​IMG]

I couldn't make up my mind whatsoever. Fenders on and trouble with the local sheriffs, or fenders on and less hot rod? Fenders off and loose so much patina, and fenders on and heavy car?

Luckily my mind was made up for me. By begining of June where I had the chance to get some nice Whitewalls on steelies for reasonably cheap...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I wil run fenders...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  7. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

That weekend after the wheels got shipped I was in my workshop again, this time for a bit longer, off came the front bumper, on the new wheels and some other tiny bits and pieces, we didn't run the engine though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks way less grandpa I guess. The current front tyres are quite shot, whereas the ones on the back are brand spankin' new, so as soon as this bastard runs like I want it, the front tyres will go, and I get me some firestones in 8,20 for the back, and bolt the ones that are in the rear to the front axle. But that has time.

While swapping the wheels I couldn't believe how rustfree the whole chassis appears to be. Sure, we found some rust, and one or two holes, but the frame, suspension and all other bearing stuff is in really nice condition, and the only work that needs to be done, is actually preserving it as is...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice detail btw. Henry Ford's coffin nails serve as doorhinges on this thing...

[​IMG]

8. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Some days later I went to the workshop again, I just wanted to hoover the straw and sand out of the interior, so we rolled it down to the main hall, Henrys "never fail" brakes are still operating, and that not bad, so it was a fun push. Once in the garage I took off the hood, understanding why hot rodders back then offed everything possible. Just the hood weights about seventeen million pounds. Add the bumpers and their supports, and you can get off some serious weight...

[​IMG]

First pic without the hood...

[​IMG]

Got the lamps to work again...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Already a little "rubber" rake is already there, the front will go down, that's for sure...

[​IMG]

9. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

By the evening whe had the electrics sorted out good enough to give the starter a flick. And since the car was running anyhow, I wanted to sit in it for a while, and as I was sitting and shifting gears my buddy began to move stuff out of the way behind the car.

- What? You want to drive it, don't you?
    - Do I?
    - Dunno. Do you?

I did. The first meters on the asphalt for 40 years... The first spin around the workshop was carefull and quite scary, second lap, third... With each lap I felt safer and trying to go faster, breaking later and cutting corners harder. Was laughing my ass of and had the time of my life. What a great little car.

[​IMG]

Sorry that so many pics look alike, but I can't help myself, that car is bitchin'.

The graphics are just drew on with chalk to get an overall feel for it. Not really sure if I paint it on just yet. We'll see...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That black thing on the left is my daily driver. This pic reminds me of a joke that I heard a while ago.

- Tell me again grandson, what was the name of that German who always hides everything?
    - That's Alzheimer granny...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found some beauty rings for the rims. Hide the horrible balancing weights that are glued to the wheel...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's something, I can't remember when I was that happy for the last time, if ever...

[​IMG]

And a pinup for you.

[​IMG]

Some short movies that my girlfriend shot that day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqqyTGHogXA&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKvomaK_kHw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Cond-nNtA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAfTT5igxrQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

10. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Now that's a cool story. I went to this dude, an old man, who has a stash of Model A parts. I needed some essentials, so I got sparkplugs, some gaskets,points, rear lights and an Oilfilter conversion kit. While the guy was looking for parts I spotted a Holley carb with intake in the corner of his shop. Not for sale, some dude bought it the day before, just didn't pick it up.
    I needed a radiator too, so I left the dude my number if by any chance one shows up. The day after my phone rang at 7.00 in the morning. If I was still interested in that carb I could have it.
    So I went there in the afternoon and got that thing along with another exhaust and a box full of spares. As I was lookin' thru that, I found out that the rebuild kit was used, the dude just replied "sure, I rebuild the carb and the jets"...

The week after I was in the workshop, giving the A a service, we adjusted the ignition, changed the sparkplugs and few other things, but didn't get the car to start.
    The Zenith was leaking from everywhere, so last saturday we pushed the car backwards into the main hall and begann to take that thing apart when another friend of mine showed up and asked why the hell do we tinker with the shitty carb when there is the new holley lying around? He had a piont I guess, because als soon as we found a plastic tub that we showed under the engine, I had the block cleaned and apart...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the looks of that Carb. Need a stack though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While we were tinkering, my girlfriend cleaned the windows. It took her full 3 hours to get all the paint and other crap off them, but the result is stunning, can't remember when I had such clean windows in any car. If ever...

[​IMG]

One way or another, at midnight everything was hooked up, but we still can't get that bastard to run just yet. Not sure what's the problem, we seem to miss the spark or so, by the first week of August I will have some parts that a friends dad built for his fourbanger, so that he could run 12 Volts, but since he blew a piston, he's running a Flathead, and I can have everything that they built including a 12 Volt alternator in a 1930 generator housing! Stay tuned. It will run.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Great thread! Looking forward to more posts....

12. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

Cool Hot Rod!!! Keep posting those great pics!

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the car and most of what you're doing. However, I agree with 3WLarry.:rolleyes:

14. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

15. Roger53

Roger53

Keep the post a comin. And do it like ya want big teeth and all! I pick up a barn find myself 3 weeks ago 1930 tudor but mine is in many pc's torn apart in 1967.So there still out there.

16. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

I sure will build it however I want it man. Doin' it for me, and I'm gonna' drive it.
    I like the teeth, don't give a damn that "so many have it". As far as I am concerned, not doin' something you really want because everybody else does it, is worse than doing it although everybody else does.

Besides, I have a quite clear pic of how it should be at some point in it's life, and that's wher I'm headin'. For me what counts is that this car stays period correct. Something a dude of my age would build in the early 50ies or so. The warpaint won't change that period apperance, but will let me sleep better at night, cause I will have few days of creative output while painting it.

17. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

If you have these late 1931 cast iron drums on the front, the properly adjusted mechanical brakes will work just fine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If your looking to go to a mechanical advance distributor look for a Willys, after a little modification it works well at a fraction the cost of a Model B distributor.

You may also want to consider either lightening the stock flywheel or going to a B flywheel. I didn't notice a performance gain but the RPM the unbalance engine vibration matched the natural frequency of the chassis was moved to a more friendly range. It moved mine from 44ish to 52 mph.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

BAD ASS. That is awesome.
    Slim

19. That's a very nice tudor.
    Looks like Denmark is still a good place to spot old cars.
    My 39 Merc coupe and 32 Model B tudor ( not the one in my avatar) both came from Denmark :)

20. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Good looking car!
    If you up the carb, up the ignition too.
    Everything else would just clouds up the plesure of driving your rod!

God stil, fed bil!

21. Dig the car and dig what you're doing to it. The warpaint's not my thing, but I'm loving the rest of it.

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

23. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Sweeeeeeeeeeet! Love it ! Keep it up.

24. J.P.West

J.P.West
    from Denmark

Nice car,Got a 29 by my selv ,if you enjoy JungleFever#1 you see it .

Sorry for Danish writing,hvor holder i til ?? Kender i til Traditional-Hotrod's.dk?

West

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  25. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Gold.

26. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Hejsa, jeg bor i skoven ved Randbøldal, mellem Vejle og Billund. Bilen står i Flensborg hvor jeg have en værksted med en af mine venner.

Nej, ikke ednu.

27. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Hi, i live in the Woods by Randbøldal, between Vejle and Billund. The car is in Flensburg where I have a workshop with one of my friends.

No, not ednu.

28. Nice find! Looking forward to comparing your finished project to your drawing

29. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

this a cool build keep plugging away!!!

30. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Then we are two. I'll stick with the A Taillights for now though. Until I drove it, i had the feeling that I have all my life to finish this car, now, that I actually had a spin, I am out of patience. I want to drive it, and I want it now. At once.