Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anything to do car wise in ITALY?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Church, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Heading to Italy in mid September. Never been to there... or anywhere in europe for that matter. Is there anything to there automotive wise? Mooneyes? Ferrari? I could definitely use some pointers on where to go. PM me if this is too off topic.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It may depend on what cities or areas your itinerary takes you. It's about like going to Texas. Just because a guy's in Italy doesn't mean that he might be close to some of the cool stuff. For me a trip to the Ferrari factory would be a must do.

A stop in Rome should require a visit with Orula and his more than slick little 53 Chevy pickup that you camera would feel the need to get serious with.

I'd think that before you get done making a list you will have way more to do and see than time allows.

3. Church

Church
    from South Bay

WOW.... Orula's ruck is BAAAAAADDDDD!!!!!!!

I should be in Sorrento/Positano/Capri for about a week, then splitting from friends and have a week to go wherever.

4. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

try not to get run over! there drivers suck!

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You might consider some traditional stuff... like seeing the Coliseum or Pantheon or Vatican? I heard they only allow bias ply. Seriously, cars are cars, but if you miss out on just a few tidbits of serious, 2K year old history you just might regret it. I'm not a museum lover, per se, but the historical buildings, castles, forts, churches are interesting and if you have a rental car getting there is a nice adventure going to each of them. If in south central Italy go to see Pompeii and walk the streets of the old Roman empire. Amazing. Gary

7. 1ton

1ton

Whatever you do, watch your wallet and other stuff. Those little ones make a living off theft of goods from tourists.

8. reefer

reefer

Church, we went to Sorrento and Capri a few weeks ago.....a bit spends, but a great area, the roads/traffic are a nightmare.I never saw an old car the whole time, even cutting down back alleys and orchards and such seeking any old tin.

A must do, is the trips to Pompei and Herculanum.....blew me away.

Have a great trip.

9. Pop over to England for the Goodwood Revival! Pure awesomeness!

Edit* (i just looked at a map) that's probably a little far to go, huh? Ha!

10. slammed

slammed

All the large, high end Auto museums are in the Northern part of the country.

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Learning to drive there is a hoot!
    Tips:
    Here, at a red light you watch the car in front of you and crawl away when that moves.
    In Italy, everyone watches the light and when it goes green you dump the clutch and floor it.
    I nearly caused some epic pile ups learning THAT.
    On the big roads...LEAVE THE LEFT LANE EMPTY. Every few minutes you will hear a high pitched buzz and see a red streak on your left...no idea what that is, but I don't want it in my trunk.
    I once tried a shortcut through a medieval alley in Bologna...we crawled forward in our '63 Plymouth (equal to 2x2 Fiats) until we were beside a parked Fiat, and with precision maneuvering we had exactly 3/8" clearance on each side...steadily decreasing.
    Several I talian lounge lizards who had been watching the monster crawl past with great interest came over, tilted the Fiat up on two wheels, and we buzzed on through to applause...
    In the mountains, we tore off our muffler on a goat path (Cabrapista, or whatever they call them) and consulted via arm waving and loud Spanish with the local welder.
    He had an outdoor shop just like a southerner here, an O-A torch set that looked older than the local cathedral, and a big sheet of woven heavy wire matting. He used a huge antique sheetmetal shear to cut off one wire, and that was the welding rod.
    Only Olde Cars I saw were a few Topolinos.

12. Marcy

Marcy

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yes, art, history, food, and scenery are just packed tight in Italy...do some normal tourista type research and pick your targets or you'll just go mad! Any Italian city could keep you fully occupied looking at neat stuff for the rest of your life.
    Watch director's cut of Cinema Paradiso and Il Postino for atmospherics....:)
    Hey, watch Big Night too! Learn the rhythmns and proper gesturing...

14. monkeywrenching

monkeywrenching
    from maryland

Wear a money belt and keep only what you are willing to lose in your pocket. If you ride the buses in Rome keep your hands in the general area of your money. Pickpockets are trained when they are young by sewing razor blades in the purses and pockets. You won't know it until it's too late. I look at it as it is just a thing, no bigee.

As said in the other posts, look into the history. In Rome go to the Trevi fountain at night, the Colosseum, the Capuchin monks crypt....a little macabre. Florence or Venice tons of stuff also.

15. adventurer

adventurer

ok..I live in Italy.....
    Carwise...old cars are non existant in daily traffic...too dangerous...and there are not abandoned cars in back alleys....most people are living in large apartment houses...few are living in in single houses...so there is very little space for old abandoned cars.
    Driving is fairly fast...left lane is for passing only...
    Be careful about taking subways or bus....have a money belt....no expensive watches...no jewels...but this is recomended everywhere, not just Italy
    You can visit Ferrari museum, Lamborghini museum...also the Nicolis museum near Verona...very high quality cars.
    If you have some time, I live in northern Italy, Milano...and have some nice rods and musclecars to enjoy..plus can arrange a visit to sme friends of mine with other rods...

16. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Heracleum Italy is actually way better preserved and more to see.....whereas Pompeii got the ash.....heracleum got entombed in mud....

Don't waste your time and money on a rental car....you'll loose about ten years off your life due to stress....the train and bus system is so darn good you won't need one....all a rental car is in Italy is a liability IMHO. If youl plan on traveling on the interior of Italy buy a train pass in the states before you go, it'll be a lot cheaper than when you get there.

Finally, when it concerns the sites and such, go to the bookstore and spend 20 bucks on Rick Steve's travel books.....gives ya all the ins and outs to save money and legally skip lines waiting to see stuff.....(ie check your bags at business x and get head of the line at museum y....just make sure you tip the bag check guy....and when your talking about 8hour lines time is money.)

Me and my wife (prior to our daughters arrival) travelled all over Europe and spent almost a month in Italy alone....beautiful country....been trying to figure out an angle to move there.

Edit:
    I see the guy above me actually lives there....we also read that the bus and trains were areas in which to use caution....that said just keep your head on a swivel and you'll be fine....make eye contact with the hood rat that's casing you to pick pocket ya and they usually slink away....

17. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

Really depends on the city. Italy is very pretty almost anywhere, but Verona is one of my favorites.

I was in Milno a few weeks back and spotted a 69 Chevelle and an old Fiat 500. Do watch your wallet, but the same is true with many European cities.

18. adventurer

adventurer

An orange 69 Chevelle? 396 4 speed? Belongs to a friend of mine...

19. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Coby, do yourself a favor and forget about cars when you are in Italy. The architecture, the food and art, will give you enough of a great, mind-blowing experience, trust me.
    I've been to Italy more times than I can remember, I know. It's a beautiful county.
    Driving is great in Italy, I was shocked how "slow" drivers are, here in the US, when I first came here :)
    Have a fun trip.
    I love Rome btw, if you have some time to go, but Florence, Milan are freaking awesome too.

20. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

Gelleria Ferrari in Maranello for sure, check out the little store at the corner of the parking lot where you can take a modern Ferrari for a drive for relatively few bucks. Well worth it. Apparently there's a new museum in Modena as well now on the site of Enzo's family home.
    Rent a car - once you get into the swing of things driving in Italy's a blast - I used to think I drove like an asshole, turns out I'd been driving like an Italian all along! (no offence Adventurer, it's just a whole different driving style that isn't fully appreciated here in L.A.!) Didn't get to drive in Rome, or the Amalfi Coast. apparently those are the worst. Yes to Florence as above, if you really dig history, check out Matera, stay in a cave! PM me, I could go on for days, whatever you do you'll love it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  21. adventurer

adventurer

agree....different style...here my cruising speed is 90 mph....in the us a lot lower...

22. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Coby, after seeing all the Art, Architecture and beautiful scenery you can stand look for Cole Fosters old '32 Chevy.....I hear it's over there some where....always loved that car and had this pic pinned to my board for years.....;)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  23. 24riverview

24riverview

Went there in 06 for 2 weeks. Many beautiful and amazing sites, churches, ruins and other sites that I'm still in awe of. One of the highlights of the trip though was car day. Started here
    http://www.maserati-alfieri.co.uk/alfieri117.htm
    actually a dairy farm but with a excellent Maserati collection that we were not charged to see and were allowed to roam freely in. From there went to
    http://museo.ferrari.com/ Do not miss this!
    Then on to the Lamborgini Museum and factory
    http://www.lamborghini.com/en/heritage/museum/overview/
    If I remember correctly factory tours require reservations and are well worth it.

24. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I sometime go there to watch the Mille Miglia in Brescia, but you've missed that for this year. Plan better next time.

25. pitman

pitman

Ok, If you're going to part w/any money...Lessons are required.

Quanto costo: How much?

Piccolo alto: A little high?

Tropo Cara!: Too dear! (then, reaching for your money belt pocket)

Rubare': Robbery! And pay the final, lowest price. ;)

Next class:

S'cusi: Excuse me, (when asking a question)

Gratzie: Thank you

Per favore': Please (for the favor)

You will either feast, or fall-in-love with their beauty, as lived.
    It really holds a lot of magic, L'Italia.

26. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

I'd probably avoid doing and seeing anything Automotive in Italy..

27. slammed

slammed

San Marino is the oldest Republic in Europe and the World[​IMG]

28. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

Leave your U.S. cash in your home bank account. Take a debit card on your home account with you for buying Euro cash from ATM machines. Take no more than one medium sized suit case.
    Have fun, Italy is my favorite European country to visit.