Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help! Oil filter canister question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rob68, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Rob68

Rob68

Hey guys, need a little help with my canister oil filter. I removed the old filter and housing in order to put in a spin on filter and adaptor. Well the gasket on the adaptor got tweaked even though I followed the instructions and wont seal. Pissed out a lot of oil in my driveway. I tried three times to fix it but no go and at this point I'm done with it (unless I can magically find another gasket). However, when I took the old filter off and out, I set it aside without looking at it. Having never changed a canister type before, I find myself looking a spring that came out of the canister but I dont know where the spring was located. I think it went in the canister first and then the filter but I'm not sure. And I'm not sure what direction goes as the spring is slightly cone shaped and flat at one end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, its a 58 ford F100 with a 223 6 in it. And I also posted in the 57-60 F100 forum. Just trying to get some advice.
    Thanks

Rob68

2. greasy53

greasy53

have you thought about getting an adapeter to just spin on a regular oil filter?

3. the spring pushes the filter against the block to seal. big side to filter.

4. Don't know if this is interchangeable with the Ford 6, but I bought one to put on my 272. It has an o-ring mounted instead of the gasket like the cheaper spin on adaptors. Works flawlessly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/56-57-58-FO...ies&hash=item4845e4c916&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1361

The spring goes over the through bolt, in-between the bottom of the filter and the canister housing. I have always put the larger end toward the filter. Not sure if that is correct.....but has always worked fine.

5. I don't know for certain, but have heard that the gasket from a spin on filter is the same one as the one you need for your spin on adapter. Pop it out of the spin on filter and compare it to your tweaked one.

6. Rob68

Rob68

That is what I was trying to do. It was the gasket for the adaptor plate that got munged up.

7. Rob68

Rob68

When I get a new canister filter, I'm gonna check that. Thanks!