Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scratch-built '32 grill shell...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowtruck, Jul 8, 2012.

1. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Your talent and desire will take you far... Amazing skill at any age... thanks for sharing...

2. flatoz

flatoz

Now your going to have to build the insert for that, a repro just wouldn't do!

3. maybelene

maybelene

That's what I'm talking about right there, the real deal. You can use those same tactics over and over in this world full of parts replacers. Great job!

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

great job on the grill shell ,

5. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

Nice job. You have what it takes to succeed in this trade!

6. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

choice
    real nice work

7. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Fuckin' showoff!!.................

...but seriously......that is some impressive work you've done......you have my respect!

CB

8. Very nice job! And awesome documenting here for us to see!

9. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Man, that is hella awesome. I really hope I can find the time to go back to school for this stuff eventually. Amazing work!

10. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

I spotted your thread on that shell before I started this one. I thought it was awesome. I don't think I would have had the imagination to look at that truck grill and see a deuce shell.

I wish I would have payed more attention to my hours. I think there were three 30-40 hour weeks to get it to the point where it was all tacked together, then the better part of second semester working on it when I had time.

I considered that, too, but if it's done right, it's bigger only by the thickness of the metal, which isn't much. If you were looking to use a stock insert, you might want to pay extra attention around that area, but I don't think it would matter anywhere else.

Thanks Pete! You get yours running yet? I'm expecting a ride in that beast this fall.

Agreed. I have the remains of a '32 truck "insert" that somebody torched out of the original shell. It ain't pretty, but I think I can use it as a pattern.

Thanks again to everybody who posted comments. I really appreciate the encouragement, and it means an awful lot coming from the HAMB crowd. The work I've seen on here is a huge inspiration to me.

11. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Damn joe! I'll be in Witchita the weekend after KKOA I might need to check out this piece of fine art in person :)

13. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Do it! I'd love to catch up man.

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like everyone else says, just excellent. I really appreciate your including some of your "false starts" in the thread. For someone like me, they are probably the most important part.

15. Pete

Pete

One word........WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you taking orders????? How much????

Pete-

16. sr808

sr808

That's very impressive metal work.

17. GaryC.

GaryC.

Wow! Excellent work!

18. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

clean man... give yourself a pat on the back... i'll second what hrp said.. If I wanted a 32 grill shell, id have to buy it... lots of talent on the hamb..

19. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks for the mention Joe, glad I could help out; but I'm really glad to see this documented and up...all of your descriptions just didn't live up to the photos and end product.

Boy have our plans changed from about 4 years ago...but definitely changed for the better.

20. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Want to come and work for me in Germany for a few months?

21. chevy3755

chevy3755

very nice fab work.........you should be proud

22. pila38

pila38

Wow, beautiful work. I'm in awe and may just want to be you right now.

23. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Thanks man. I'm afraid it wouldn't really be financially viable to go into the grill shell business. With some practice, you could probably get this process down to 100 hours or so, but you'd have to charge more than people would want to pay when they can just order a repro for $200. This would, however, be worthwhile if the car you were working on didn't have the aftermarket support of the '32. Maybe I need to start making Ferrari noses or something.

Thank you sir, couldn't have done it without you. And yes, our cars are now headed in a much better direction than they may once have been.

Haha...that's cool, I've never been to Germany.

24. shockley_67

shockley_67

VERY NICE!!! metal shaping is one art i wish i new. if we had a class out here that i could take without spending a small fortune or someone that could steer me in the right direction that would be great. right now i would just end up with a pile of steel for the scrap yard!

your grill sheel is pure art!!!

25. nitrousnut

nitrousnut

That is motivating. very well done. I am an fng with a 28-29 coupe and I will start a build thread when I have enough parts to get going. The HAMB has allowed me to find many things I need and I have never had a problem with any members yet. great job, I will be watching

26. Jen......

Jen......

very well done ,

wish i had your talent , i wouldnt be buying so many grill shells that are mangled trying to make one complete one out of this mess

Jen

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

WOW! Very impressive! How do the rules work here on the HAMB, can this be submitted as a Tech Week item, or does he have to make something else? Bob

28. Impressive work! really very good!

29. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

thats awesome!!

30. Really impressive!! I wish I had the equipment and the skills to go with it.