Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Nash Metro Owners Out There..Show Your Stuff

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shermanator, Dec 17, 2010.

1. So after I built my 56 F100 my wife wanted a car for her. It was a 58 Nash Metro. I was not impressed with her choice. Me building a Met???:mad:
    Well I did it to make her happy. After the build was finished it looked pretty good & everyone who looks loves it.

Who would think a little Nash would draw so much attention.

Lets see your little Nash. Post Stories & Pics Here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  2. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

I am in the process of restoring a "basket case" 59 Metropolitan hardtop. I am into the project for 2 years and have another 2 or 3 to go. I love the quirkiness of this car and plan to make my "around town" car. It will basically be a restoration but I will go to a Weber carb, Petronix distributor and aftermarket wiring converted to a negative ground. As you can see by my avitar, the car currently resides on a rotisseri. Tons of rust replacement but that's O.K. I find that with building cars I enjoy the jorrney better than the destination.

3. So hows the rebuild on the Nash going?
    I finally got the front suspension done with the rack & pinion. What a bitch to do.
    Upper & lower control arms are half met half mustang 2. Rack is out of a 82 spitfire, had to narrow it 6 inches.

4. Here's a neat concept drawing- forget where I found it, but I like it!

Attached Files:

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I had to narrow our rack 6.0 inches as well. Pics are in my HAMB ad.

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Hey SHERMINATOR, by any chance do you run a drag car as well? There was a "Sherminator" running at Barona this spring, really kicked some serious ass

7. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

here is my wifes 55.
    it has a automatic transmission from a Nissan, M.G. front disc brakes, duel circuit master cylinder from a VW and started life as a hardtop.

[​IMG]

8. Of all the old cars on my property My 1959 Nash Met gets the most complements.

9. Nope never had a drag car.

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Good looking car, Happy Hoppy!

11. shadams

shadams

Saw one a Soda Pops cruise night a month or so ago. Red and white hardtop with what I think was a Ford 302 in it. Pretty neat and yea it drew a crowd. I think mostly just because not many people know what it is and it is little and "cute" as my wife put it.

12. brjnelson

brjnelson

Here is one I built in 2005 and sold last year, I do not miss it much and it is not that HAMB friendly.
    [​IMG]
    there are more photos on my Brian's garage photo album.

13. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

I'm in the process of doing a custom Met with 96 volt electric power. It's got MG Midget discs in the front, a 3.90 rear axle ratio, MGB buckets, Chevy S-10 5-speed, and a long way to go til it's finished. I'm grafting '63 MGB headlight scoops into the front fenders, and '64 VW taillights into the rear. I was thinking about opening up the front wheel wells, but that's my wife's favorite part of the car, so they're off limits. I've been unable to work on the car for the past couple months because of the heat, but I'll try to get some photos up soon.

Mike

DemonTweaks likes this.
  14. noboD

noboD

My favorite Met was at a Super Chevy show at Maple Grove several years ago. It was light beige with a 454 and big meats out back. NO hood scope and the tires were completely under the stock fenders. Killer.

15. Swifster

Swifster

I do a lot of driving. I've thought about getting one and tossing a Chevette/Isuzu diesel into it.

16. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

!937 Nash <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->[FONT=&quot]Lafayette 400[/FONT]

Attached Files:

17. RJB Met

RJB Met

My Met that I done a lot of work to but now just where I want it! gets tons of attention going down the road and at shows. Love it!! Bob

Attached Files:

18. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

Hey Bob,

Why don't you show us all of them?

Mike

OOPS! Wrong Bob. Sorry about that. I was thinking of "Metroman" from another Board that RJB and myself belong to.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  19. fuzzface

fuzzface

i brought a basket case years ago and owned it for about a half hour. went to an auction where they sold the cars about an hour before the listed time. The auction went faster than they expected and just continued into the cars. i was the only bidder.

wife wasn't happy. she went inside to warm up with another couple we were with(cold winter outside auction). i was looking at my project thinking what did i just buy, now i'll have to go home and get the trailer and load this thing on a cold blistery day, yeh.

i turned downed one guy wanting to buy the hubcaps cause i wasn't sure yet what i was doing with it. but a second guy walks up that wanted to buy it but he showed late thinking the cars were selling later. well he offered me triple what i paid for it.
    i had to sell it for that price.

walked inside the building and told the wife and friends, i sold the car already, they thought i was kidding but when she found out i wasn't, she was happy then especially seeing i had quite a few project cars already i was falling behind on.

20. zgears

zgears

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  21. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Floor1.jpg Mdmet2.jpg

Here is a picture of the Met I used to own. It had a very nice license plate floor when I got it.
    Wish I knew how to resize pictures.

22. Oxymoron

Oxymoron

I just picked up a 1960 for my wife and was wondering where I can find an aftermarkt air filter that will fit the carb. The diameter is tiny. 1-3/4". Any ideas?

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

My dad had one back in the mid 60s. He bought it from my uncle for $25 and that was one of his many cars that I enjoyed and he had Mercurys, Impalas, bought a brand new 66 Mustang but that lil Metro was fun. My uncle bought it back 2 years later for $50.

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

My girlfriend keeps pointing these out as something she wants someday. Unfortunately, her daily commute is 30 miles one way, all freeway. Not the best enviroment for Mets if I rememember correctly. What are people doing with them as far as egine swaps, O.D. swaps and disc brakes and such? I put a 2.0 Pinto engines into one 25 years ago for a guy, but that has really been my only contact with them over the years.

25. jreeder41

jreeder41

Check out our website if you interested in Metro's we have worked on probably over 50 of them by now! We sell a complete line of parts for them also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

50 Burb, Funny you mentioned Barona. I used to live up there and there was a fella, Pee Wee, who had 7 or 8 as I recall. I dont know if he was gonna fix em up one day and I never asked about them. He was a great guy though. I can give directions.
    That was many years ago, probably deal with the heirs.

27. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

I like them, but it's not big on my want list. My girlfriend likes them, so I'd like to get one for her eventually.

28. Gromit

Gromit

www.minimania.com

They are in northern cali.. I think they would have a filter like this one to fit your application

Attached Files:

29. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

not very hamb friendly but this is my kid sister's met. 302/c-4. built from a geometry class sketch I did in high school in the early 90's after I went to college. there's also 2 other original(more or less) 60 verts in the family (dad and uncle).

Attached Files:

30. Good Thread, even though its not H.A.M.B friendly, but still in the spirit of building our cars the way we like em. The Nash can also become a hot rod, or a classic cruiser.

Glad to see this thread is still active. Keep it up guys & gals.:cool:

So, I just finished my wife's Metro for the second time. As you may know, the first time, we just painted & did interior work, that was 6 years ago. I know, we did it backwards, but the wife wanted the stock power plant.

Wife didn't like the fact it was way under powered for highway use, so this time we re-did suspension, engine, brake system, & steering, also reversed the hood to give it a different look.

Mods: 1972 Ford 2.0 engine, C-4 transmission, Ford Pinto rear end narrowed 10 1/4 inches with 3.40 gear ratio, Rack & Pinion steering narrowed 5 1/2 inches, Mustang front spindles with power disc brakes, painless wiring system.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012