Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aloha Bobby and Rose

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotweel, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Hotweel

Hotweel

Here's a pretty good car movie that usually gets left off car movie lists. Aloha Bobby and Rose, came out in 1975, first starring role for American Graffiti's Paul Le Mat. Killer street cruising scenes on Van Nuys Blvd. Lots of shots of top rock albums of the day on billboards, ELO, The Stones, Elton John, Steve Miller and one of my favorite scenes where Bobby takes his '68 Camaro into a Jack in the box. Some drag racing scenes involving Don "The Snake" and a descent sound track to boot. I believe the guy who owns the original Graffiti coupe also owns the Aloha '68 Camaro.

2. BobG

BobG

I remember going to the Drive In and watching it when it was first released, it had some good footage of cars running at Orange County Intl Raceway

3. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Yeah, Bobby and Rose is a little bit cheesy as a regular movie, but it is pretty cool as a car movie. Definitly a must see.

4. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Yep, good ole Benny and the Jets...................

5. "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends". That scene of Bobby doing donuts in the intersection with ELO playing in the background always stuck with me.

6. "Welcome back my friends..to a show that never ends"
    Really liked the soundtrack, cheezy..sure, it was a car movie, but I'd watch it again.

7. Damn chainsaw, we had the same thought, and were typing at the same time

8. That should have read E L P (Emerson Lake & Plamer) instead of ELO. Thanks Hotweel, Im getting old.

9. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Yeah that's it !!!

Attached Files:

10. BobG

BobG

Kinda like "Two Lane Blacktop"

11. knotttty

knotttty

saw that one in the drive in also..... in my 67 Camaro.... the old days....lol....thanx for the memory....:)

Roy

12. The intro to the movie has to be one of my all time favorite movie scenes.Can't forget IIRC "Hell on Wheels" making a pass at night at the track.

13. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Whatever happened to the Camaro? Does the same guy that owns the AG coupe own it?

Kevin

14. I dont know much about the movie but a friend of mine's Dad bought the black car in the photo below off a car lot in the 70's. I was told it was used in the movie.

[​IMG]

15. Well, Amazon.com is out of their mind on prices, but I ee it on flea bay for US $7.47.
    There's a guy here (So Cal) who goes to all the big swp meets that carries it (not that that does you any good in Germny, but at least you know it's out there.).

16. Muttley

Muttley

Theres a guy in town here that has a clone of that car.

17. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

love that movie and one of my favorite soundtracks (my other favorite soundtracks being from American Graffiti, Hollywood Knights and The Wanderers)
    Say Candy and Ronnie have you seen them yet
    But they're so spaced out
    Benny and the Jets

18. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HKo-gpcxbo4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Ramblur

Ramblur

Heady stuff for a(then) 15 year old... Fortunately I'd already painted my
    57 Chevy delivery that AG cross of piss yellow and puke green...

20. Gromit

Gromit

That was a hoot.. Haven't heard ELP since.... probably about the time that movie came out lol!

21. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I got the DVD. I saw it when it came out and bought the DVD a couple of years ago. I only watched the DVD once but maybe I'll look at it again.

22. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

23. Mike

Mike

"Hold me closer Tony Danza...":). Good soundtrack, cheezy story, but definately worthy gearhead material.

I first saw it on HBO, shortly after it's run in the theaters. I now have it on DVD.

"Hey, this is old shit for brains' car."

24. Catdaddyo

Catdaddyo

Wasn't the car a 68 Z28 ?

25. Hotweel

Hotweel

Hot Rod Magazine ran a short piece about the car a few years back, said it was actually a 1967 Z-28 with 1968 doors and front end.

26. I have the dvd somewhere too, gotta dig it out and watch it again.

27. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I almost bought that Camaro off a lot in Pasadena back then. I remember the battleship grey Traco motor in it. I couldn't come up with the $3500

28. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I just pulled mine out too. I have to see it again after reading this thread. I remember the movie not being good

29. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

In about 1980 the car was at Ed's Airport Service on Ocean Park in Santa Monica. The shop owners son had purchased the car from that lot, drove it a little and then began a show quality restoration. My friend bought a green 69 Z/28 from him and took me to see the car.

It had BBS wheels, the original 302 with 4 down draft Webers built again by Traco, Doug Nash 5 speed and some aircraft wiring that was covered in what looked like braided line. I remember him reinforcing the cowl hood because the flow from the Webers caused a dent in the hood.

He showed the car with the original slot mags from the movie, but left the Webers on. He showed the car locally and I saw it at the Convention Center, his display had the movie running during the show.

Saw him drive it on the street a few times, I think he lived in nearby Mar Vista. Eds shop is still there.