Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost Car Keys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZZ-IRON, Jul 1, 2012.

1. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Lost keys or only one set of keys

you keep saying i'll make a extra key but you never do
    or you have the key code on GM keys but don't write it down
    not sure if other makes have key code numbers?

lost my 49 Pontiac coupe keys and yes only have one set
    after a week of searching there they were in a place i checked many time :rolleyes:

i was going to take the door lock cylinder out today
    to get the key code when i found them

so i sent myself a email with the GM key code number
    that way the dealer can cut me a new key

next it's off to the hardware store and have a second key made Today
    because tomorrow never comes when keys are involved

2. pastlane

pastlane

I carry a spare key in my wallet. Not that I plan it but once a year I manage to lock the keys in my truck.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never throw an old car key away as a worn key from the 50's can often be wiggled enough to work the tumblers in a switch from that era.

4. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

That's a lesson I learned long ago. I now have multiple keys made for everything as soon as I get it, cars, shop, house, tractor, everything.

5. Deuces

Deuces

I did that once when I was fat, drunk and stupid... :eek::rolleyes:

6. After I am gone and not around to give directions I am sure my beneficiaries will be looking for my car keys. I have included a note with my trust documents that there is an extra set of keys in my safety deposit box. I also include approximately what the cars are worth, who is to sell them and non-binding suggestions about how they are to be sold. A good friend's wife sold his 3 window '32 coupe and garage full of parts (many NOS) for $4K when he passed way recently. Moral to the story: get your papers in order and put an extra set of keys where they can be found.

Charlie Stephens

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

google 'wheres my keys'

8. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

reminds me of that one time I locked myself inside my roadster....

9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

we have duplicates for EVERYTHING! One set is stored in a fireproof safe.

when we sell a vehicle, the new owner gets two sets of keys

10. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Oh god, howed you get out? Break the side glass?

11. rld14

rld14

Whenever I buy a car, first thing I do is make two extra sets of keys, before I even go to the DMV to swap the title over.

One set is in the safety deposit box with the title.

12. roundvalley

roundvalley

I always get a second set and hardwire them under the frame somewhere. Saved my ass a couple of times but I got dirty going after them.

13. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

My dad was a great one for having extra keys. Hey had a leather key case with keys for cars he didn't have anymore as well as the spares for the two vehicles he had and his house. He also kept other spare keys in a drawer in the bedroom. He had separate keys on a ring he used to drive the cars and "Hide a Key" magnetic containers on the cars. On the older cars with outside hood release, he taped keys into the wiring harness.

When he was suffering from dementia, I tried to get all of his keys but he always came up with more. I had to disable his car to keep him from driving.

14. snelson57

snelson57

Dammit...I went to get my OT Boss Mustang out for the first time today and I cant find the keys for it. I know I put them somewhere safe, now just where that is I cant remember.

Think I can get a key made based on the VIN on a 1971 car?

15. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I don't know how far back they have records. They would probably be on microfiche somewhere. Maybe they put them on computer.

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm learning my lesson. I lost my keys to my '35 and had to order a whole new ignition last week just so I can ACT like I'm going to actually drive it one day.

17. big creep

big creep

funny i lost my keys in mexico once, had a lock smith come out and cut me a new one the old school way! he took the door lock out and cut it with a file close enough to start it to get me home! i hooked him up with a weeks worth of pay. god knows he needed it more than i did. this was maybe 17 years ago.

18. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

haha, i saw a guy get his key out of his trailer hitch yesterday. Good hiding spot....

19. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I lost my keys once. Then I had a copy made and I never lost them again...

Attached Files:

20. I do that with my old cars. Brake lines are good spots to hang it from, or wire it to a hole in the chassis. I've found those hide-a-key boxes on frame rails of cars I've bought with keys in them.

Just don't make it too hard to find and remove. Of course the only time you'll misplace your keys will be on a cold windy rainy or snowy night.

Bob

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I lost my truck keys inside the Carlyle flea market looking for parts!!! I'm in Pa. and my 96 yo mother and dog are in Md. I got lucky and a lock smith came out to fix my situation and get me home. I have Mazda keys for my truck now but It's still working.:D

22. I always carry a spare door key in my wallet. One time, I locked the keys in the truck on my o/t beater who's buzzer didn't work. I found out the hard way that what should have been sold as a $5 vent glass, because it was fixed in the door, they charged me $20 for... it would have been cheaper to bust the other window (!) -

23. 48ford

48ford

We have a OT lincoln town car that the doors lock automatic.Yep the doors lock,keys inside.
    I go in the house,extra set is missing????
    I call AAA,the guy comes out and got it open quicker than a teen ager in Toledo.
    He had a pump up bag he slid between the door glass and window.
    pumped it up with a little air slid a stiff wire inside and pop it was open.

24. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have Baldwin locks on all of my doors and had padlocks keyed to use the same key. Hot rods have SoCal pull to start ignitions and hidden battery switches. I hate keys!

25. S.F.

S.F.

pfffft keys.....all you need is a jumper wire and a flat head screwdriver.

26. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

An old magnetic AA key box or a spare wired and taped underneath to the frame. Thing my Dad showed me and never forgotten to do it. I'm hopeless with keys and its saved me a good few times.

27. outlaw256

outlaw256

well im bad to loose keys to everything we own. so i leave the keys in all my cars.all the time. i dont even own a key to my house. but i do have one for the shops.and ive lost them a few times .lol

28. In high school (you remember before cell phones) i had an OT pickup. greatest thing if i locked the keys in it was to kick the bottom of the door and the lock would pop up. seriously it would just pop open. i find myself in the same syle truck now. it doesnt work the same...

29. We all have brain farts !!,,,,Some more often than others.

30. n847

n847

^^^^^I did that sucessfully for a year or 2 till I locked the wallet in my car twice!