Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. partsrivet

partsrivet

This is the run for Top Fuel Eliminator at Tulsa in 1966. On the tower side, Div 2's Sneaky Pete Robinson is out on Californian Dave Beebe in the thrilling conclusion to a great race year. Robinson held him off to become TFE for 1966.[​IMG]

Bob Gibson tells me Steve Carbone was driving for Robinson here.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  3. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

4. That's Sush Matsubara in the Mondello & Matsubara Fiat fuel altered. I don't know the Willys though

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

could the Willys be "Jardine"?
    When you enlarge the photo you see a "J-a-r...." on the door

7. 99% sure that is the Jardine C/Gas Willy's - you called it Doug!

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Tulsa, NHRA, 1966...video
    I'm sure this has been posted so....just relax....:)

1966 NHRA World Finals Tulsa,Oklahoma
    Nostalgia NHRA Drag Racing 1966 World Finals in Tulsa Oklahoma. The final round in Super Eliminator matching me against Al Berglar at 5:50 minutes into this video. Keith Jackson is the narrator. Hard to believe that this was 46 years ago!

9. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

If I was told correctly, this was the same Robinson car that Chuck Turner crashed at Nashville in 75' at a Pro-Comp deal there.
    Tom S. in Tn.

10. Larry T

Larry T

It wouldn't bother me to see someone build a clone of the GBP stretched red car. It's not like you can go see the original version of that particular build anywhere now.

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

GBP....the cover car for HRM a few pages ago was the first edition of the car...red-short one...as God intended the GBP to be so honored in history, but they just got the wrong color in the terrific restoration.....IMO
    Like I said earlier, I saw that car run many times and never, ever saw it in yellow....

12. WCD

WCD

Its the Jardine Willys allright. But shoe polish letters spelling out "BB/GS" and blower scoop protruding through the hood substantiate as being supercharged. Might be the precusser to the Marrs Boy BB/GS Jardine sponsored Vette of '69. They had a Willys that ran CC/GS for years, so I might gather that this is it under a new refined guise.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

here's a sort of off-topic deal....
    My Dad died in 2002 and I was just flipping through his old desk telephone phone number gizmo looking at old names and numbers from the 1960's, etc.
    I ran across this...
    This was Dad's contact person that worked under Mickey Thompson at the strip.
    My dad would drop me off at the strip around noon and he'd call this fella to try to get a prediction as to when the Top Eliminator rounds would get underway so he could start heading to Long Beach to pick me up.
    This is sort of weird running across this....back when all of Los Angeles County was just one area code...this would be about 1964 or so.
    .....carry on

[​IMG]

14. skywolf

skywolf

I found this picture in the July 1964 issue of Drag Racing. Must have been a meeting that you missed Doug. :)

[​IMG]

15. WCD

WCD

When my dad elected not to accompany me, he would do basically the same thing, except it was Irwindale and I would get a contact number from them. Calling collect from the phone booth, I would advise my dad that the 2nd round was done. He could guestimate when to pick me up. I couldnt imagen dropping my kid off today at an even that had 5-6000 people in attendance, and rely upon him to call me when the event was nearing completion so I could pick him up. Back then things were different, a much more innocent time to be sure.

16. partsrivet

partsrivet

Roy Spradling's Hot Chocolate AA/C lifts 'em up out of the gate at Southwest Raceway, Tulsa OK in May 1966[​IMG]

17. partsrivet

partsrivet

More AA/FD final rounds action at Pomona in February of 1968. The blue and white car trailing looks like the Carroll Brothers car from Irving, TX. But I seem to recall another car painted like this. Any other guesses?[​IMG]

18. partsrivet

partsrivet

This view was deleted somehow and new info has come to light so here's a repost. Bob Gibson ID'd this as Fred Rowsey's Banzai car before it got the full body. John 'Mouse" Wilson was driving at this race at Amarillo Dragway in April of 1967. That's Division Director Dale Ham's NHRA station wagon on the far side of the track. I originally thought that this might be Dave Babler but turns out I was in error. The story about the chicken bones stands, however. [​IMG]

19. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

No kidding.....I do love the yellow, but it just looks foreign to me compared to my memories.
    Sure looks 100% better with the real GBP scoop though...this photo proves that the scoop is one of the features that makes the car a real classic...the scoop here just doesn't have the finished look that makes all the difference visually.

20. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

There has to be a cultural gap some where between the Mississippi and the Rockies. These renegade unsanctioned strips out on county roads around here in DivII have always been dangerous for kids and adults alike.
    Some of the first national events we attended in the 70's was eye opening for me, just like seeing an actual Chrondek start and time cards, and cars being held to a rule book tech and safety standard by actual sanctioning body inspectors. That's why I pursued racing further, but some how I don't think I've ever seen what you guys are describing here.
    Strange how a business card or phone# can trigger memories;
    Tom S. in Tn.

21. WCD

WCD

Lead car is the Ridge Route Terrors of Warren Coburn and Miller. The losing car has to be Howard Cam Spl. with Bob Downey driving. Scott slot injector is a dead give away. The rattle snake like paint motif along the small side panels also points in the cars identity.

22. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

dang, you're good....

23. WCD

WCD

Years ago, I swore that I would use my skills for good and not evil.

24. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

25. blue hell wrench

blue hell wrench

In my mind, Jack Chrisman is the father of funny cars. My introduction to the addiction was at Lions in 1965 standing behind the starting line when he smoked the tires in the white Sachs and Sons Comet. The smell of rubber and nitro has never left me. There has never been a nicer or better racer than Sir Jack.

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I've never seen this shot before....

[​IMG]

27. WCD

WCD

Near sides inj version seems to have a slight lead over Geary and Walker AA/FA. If the photo were to have been taken from the other side, the partnership logo would read "Walker and Geary." Each owner getting their name as top billing on the same car.

28. partsrivet

partsrivet

ID'd as Warren Coburn and Miller (street side) and Howard Cam Spl (near side) by WCD who done good! Thanks!

On a happy note, Bob Gibson tells me he mailed my originals back a couple of days ago. There were more than he remembered and since he kept a lot of the better ones, should be some interesting stuff coming. A lot of the ones that I've been posting were considered seconds or duds and I for one can't wait to see what shows up. Bound to be some for this thread.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  29. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Only photo of it I could find, had to steal it,, lol :eek:
    [​IMG]

30. skywolf

skywolf

Wow !! What a great shot.