Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats wrong with kids today...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twenty8tudor, Jun 25, 2012.

1. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

I know a little broad statement......and i know old things and cars are not everyones thing... story about what i run into this weekend.

I used to work for time warner cable and about 3 years ago i went to an elderly ladys house for a service call. As i was there, just bs'n as on every other call, she asked what i did for fun after work. You know, what I did to kill time.

i said i had just picked up a 28 sedan that i am going to fix up. she proceeds to tell me that her husband used to fix up cars like that when he was around, but had passed away a few years before. I told her i was sorry to hear that. She kept saying how she liked to go to the shows with him and enjoyed cars as much as he did. So i asked if she had any of his cars left and she said she just had one that he liked the best left.

We go out to the garage and its a 53 buick 8 with 18,000 miles on it and looks like brand new...so we talked for a few hours and i went on about my day. Still remembering where she lived and the car i figured i would stop by last saturday...rang the door bell and she answers the door..i ask if she still had the buick and she started laughing and said i sure do and now i remember who ya are.

we went out and uncovered the car and she was more than happy to show me the car and bs about it again. as we talked she said that she had someone over try and start it but the battery was dead. she said she hated to see it just sit around and thought it should be out at some shows.

as i was about to ask her if she would sell it or ever get rid of the car she says she kind of gave it to her nephew but shook her head and said he dont really have any interest in the car....WHAT??...

she proceeded to say i am going to see if he wants it and if he dont im going to tell him i am going to advertise it. after a bit more bs's i thanked her a many times for just letting me look at the car. I asked her if i could leave her my number that if for some reason he didnt want the car i would love to have a chance at buying the car.

she said that would be GREAT and if i ever wanted to come look at the car anytime i could stop by anytime. so i left my number and will wait and see what happens.

I just couldnt belive that someone offers a car like that with that little of miles on to you for nothing and someone could show no interest at all. I understand to some people cars a just cars...but still just stunned me... anyway story/rant overwith and hoping she calls

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  2. badshifter

badshifter

Um...what?
    Is there a shorter version like on an audio cd?

3. Some kids (or people). Just. Do. Not. Get. It.

4. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Not surprising. Best of luck!

5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Surprise.. Not everyone is into old cars. I would have happily took that car off her hands too. Too bad she's not my aunt.

Is it a 2-door or a 4-door?

6. I was waiting for the bit where she hit on you,..sounded like that's where that was going,...

7. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

;)THIS illustrates the, "...what's wrong with kids today" - they don't have the patience to read even one (albeit long) paragraph:D

But seriously, the very question answers itself. Its another version of, "if it's too loud, youre too old." If you're asking the question,:D you're part of the problem - your attitude is old. Kids are what they've always been: immature, impatient, etc. Nothing new about that at all.

8. Kids are stupid. they don't engage their minds until about 25. After they get a DUI, after they knock up little Suzi from school and after they miss out on a bitchin' car.

9. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Actually, this is a pretty good read, but i edited it for my brain... maybe this will help you others as well! ~ Craig

(thetrailerguy) GREAT TALE! Too many great cars are being left to die in sheds. We MUST brush up on our sales skills, so sell ourselves in people's eyes and work to get these machines back out and on the street once again.

10. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

it was just the only statement that came to mind first im 29 myself and was about 27ish when i first seen the car and couldnt get over it.

Its a 4 door and sorry for making the story a little drawn out.. and i would gladly take her out if i could drive the buick :D

Thanks trailer guy for putting that in the right form...i guess i got a little carried away typing i will edit first post

11. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Story was fine, ever read a book more the 30 pages. Note... She also mention advertising after having a buyer infront of her. Hey im bored and watching tv, should be sleeping :)

12. Giovanni

Giovanni

I think what's wrong with the vast majority of my generation is the need for instant gratification with minimal effort. They can't drive 5 miles without using their phone. Won't invest time in a project. An overwhelming sense of entitlement. As far as old cars, they're not for everyone. Don't be as narrow minded as those you prosecute

13. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

do car mags have more then 30 pages??? haha and i didnt mention buying it till after she said something about advertising it and her nephew not wanting it i didnt want to jump on her about selling it as soon as she answered the door.

as i stated in the story i understand that cars are not for everyone.. but if someone is willing to give me anything i am willing to take it and try and make use of it being a car or anything else.

14. Giovanni

Giovanni

Agreed! I just think there's so many problems that this isn't one of them ::roll eyes:: Don't take offense :)

15. rld14

rld14

The sad thing is that lots and lots of people aren't into cars at all. Why do you think they sell hundreds of thousands of Camrys and Corollas a year? That and the in thing these days seems to be turning a cheap econobox into a race car, albeit one with no torque and minimal power.

Most people on this board certainly appreciate that old Buick, I sure do. That's why we're here.

Besides, if that's really a cherry original Buick w 18k on the clock this is a blessing, it means the car won't end up in the hands of some tool who will just fuck it up.

We've seen enough posts lately from fuckwitted FNGs who want to "R*t R*d" some cool car and throw dubs and efi at it.

16. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

haha no offense taken at all...i know this is small potatoes... i have a bother about 20 that has no common sense or skills of any kind and has yet to get a job and seems to have no interest in doing so or learning anything

17. Dyce

Dyce

I watched a show on the PBS chanel about the internet's effect on attention span, and reading. People spend less and less time reading. I'm suprised nobody has comented on no pictures yet.......

18. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

funny you say that i was thinking that when i was leaving the driveway...i always remembered seeing post that say...no pics didnt happen. i thought about giving her a little time to think it over a bit and stop out and see if she cared or would let me to try and get it running again for her. which by the looks of it would just be a battery and maybe a little carb cleaning and fresh gas. next time i am out there i will for sure get some pics of it didnt want to press my luck.

19. fortynut

fortynut

I almost barfed reading this one. It should be titled "What's wrong with Old People these days?" Like Kids give a damn. And, folks no suspense here: It's Our Own Damn Fault. Society has gone to hell in a hand basket. We have taken the stick out of the formula and put icing on the carrot (cake). Why would anyone want something old when they can drive something new, that their parents are on the hook for, in a society that has gone from thinking about the evils of debt to the wonders of credit? In our disposable society children throw away stuff and start over with more crap that promises to make them feel better and is less filling, and comes in a super size, batteries not included. And parents ceded their right to be parents to the Nanny State. They just say 'Oh Well you can't fight the system', or whatever other time worn phrase you want to substitute for throwing in the towel, giving up, and allowing the various generations to slowly turn into the self-centered, instant gratification seeking hordes whose instincts are dulled by gaming and social networking, with lives of neon bright desperation lived in cyberspace. Instead of having any control over discipline, parents are watched over by state agencies who determine if physical punishment is too severe and haul them into court and throw them into jail, take their kids and turn them into zombies. It's a wonder the nephew didn't sue his aunt for mental cruelty for even mentioning an automobile that uses petroleum distillates and can potentially harm the earth and add to global warming. As a matter of fact I'm beginning to wonder about someone who even thinks about kids and doesn't figure out how to ace the Buick for themselves. Are a do-gooder with no other place to share your frustration? Offer her some decent money and if she doesn't sell it to you fuggitaboutit!

20. Fortynut you nailed it , just because we are into old cars [which really weren,t that old when we bought them ] young people have all new interests.

21. we not all like that.. Young people i meaning.. im 20 and have a 28 model a truck (finished) and building a 31 model a coupe im always on the look out for "old shit" whether it be car related or not doesnt matter OLD IS GOOD..
    but as a younger rodder i know what you mean alot of the guys i kick around with dont understand any of what i do they are more worryed about going to the pub and wasting money buying shit for the $2000 evo or skyline and then proced to pay someone to install it or fix it id much rather sit in my shed even if its just to day dream

22. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Go back to the house with a good battery, and do the old girl a favour, take her for a cruise in the Buick.

23. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

now thats a good idea, probably score some points that way, although i bet the tags are not up to date.

24. Mooseman

Mooseman

I have a totally different outlook on this kind of stuff, you guys say young people arent interested well I think it has alot to do with what they are exposed to growing up, there is a good chance that 9 out of 10 young people have never seen a 53 buick and would not be able to point one out. All of us interested in this hobby have had something in their life that exposed them to it. For every one of us that have had that exposure there are hundreds who havent.

25. I was about to chime in and go on some sort of rant and then I realised I am 41 so am probably no longer considered young and am an old fart!!

26. Mooseman

Mooseman

Haha are young people really into instant gratification? I am 24 and the only people I get the "whats taking you so long" thing are people alot older then me. Haha I am honestly seeing a more noticable sway away from take your time and do it right and it more leaning towards just hurry up and get it done and I am not seeing it in young people haha.

27. X2,

And I say this all the time someone talks about teenagers.

"Twenty. It's the new 15."

For decades their has been no "depression era influence" on the youngsters. They quit being disciplined, they don't keep score, and have a sense of entitlement that scrambles normal thinking.

Remember-our future is going to be guided by them. That should be fun!!! (sarcastic)

I bet the lady's nephew is thinking about himself way too much to realize anything past his nose.

28. Mooseman

Mooseman

I must have been raised different because the young people you guys describe sound strange and foreign to me.

I thought we wanted more young people in the hobby? yet their seems to be alot of negativity towards them.

29. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Most people have always wanted "new things". It was true 50,60,70 years ago and it's true today. Let me give you a little example. Back in the early 60s, my Dad was given (yes given as in "free") two 41 Chevy Coupes in good, running condition. He tried to sell them, first, individually but no one was interested. He then advertise 2 cars for the price of 1. Still no buyers. He then decided to sell them to the junkyard and even they didn't want them. He finally just went to a wreck yard and left them there.
    These cars were only 20 years old at the time but that didn't make any difference because the people wanted new or newer cars. The newer the better and it's no difference today. Of course my Dad was getting "old" cars for free or for under 100 dollars, and they were only 10-15 year old cars at that time and that's the truth.

30. edweird

edweird

yea.that would the thing to do,seriously.fire it up for her.