Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on Rocky's 34 coupe..last update 9/30/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Seems I've heard that very phrase somewhere in a movie...

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

been a couples months, whats new?

3. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Yes Rocky how about an update please ?

4. haychrishay

haychrishay

So as i recall the 55 Ford I bought was supposed to give you more funds to finish this project...........What's the hold up! Just kiddin, looks good

5. Jimmy and Rocky keep hammerin away on Friday nights. Be patient young minions. ;)

6. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I may have to pay a visit to see the updates.

7. Been doing a lotta the "behind the scene" type work on the coupe...we've been hitting it at least on and sometimes 2 or 3 nights a week. We've been using the shrinking disc to get the waves out of the right door and hood side...takes for-EVER! Plus we whipped up a roll bar for the car...photos don't show the down-tubes that run back into the trunk area...it's a 4 point bar and we're just getting going on it.
    Latest segment of the project has been installing bearclaw latches and strikers...using the original [aftermarket stainless] outside door handles.
    Got the passenger side about 90% done.
    We also got busy with the latching mechanism for the hood....using 34 chevy hood latches and handles which required sinking a pocket into the bottom/side of the cowl for the latch to catch a tab we made up..
    See? All the little time consuming details that are mandatory but not as much fun as frenching tailights or changing wheels/tires.
    Speaking of that, I scored a pair of Speedway adapters to mount my 36 ford wide-5 wheels on the late ford disc brake rotors..everything clears nicely...
    Some photos for ya
    Oh, and I switched to a double roller timing chain too...and finally scored the correct carb adapters to mount my AFBs to my early Offy dual quad intake

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
    wingnutz likes this.
  8. Looks good, I almost called to heckle you guys last night but the Rockies were winning..........

9. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Good to see progress.

10. Lookin good. Like the roll bar.

11. Thanks, House! One of these days I'm gonna grab Scotty and come visit you.

12. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

What about me :p:D Or am I to far away for you ?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  13. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Cool car Rocky. Any idea when Jimmy is going to paint Terry's truck?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  14. quicky update...
    Got both doors latched with new bearclaws. Yeah, they're not traditional but after following my friend, Donna in her 32,3window and watching her passenger door fly open at 70MPH, I'll forgoe the stock latches and go with bear claws.
    Found out there a helluva lot more to installing bearclaws in a 33-34 ford and having them look factory. Took Jimmy some time and sculpting of the door jambs but they're perfect!
    I'd like to attack the decklid next.
    BTW, just got back from the Fremont swapmeet wheree I was able to score a brand new set of 4 real moons in 16" hi-dome......got 'em for 80 bux! Don't know if they'll go on the 34 or maybe on my little HHR panel.

15. Any time, Simon...anytime

16. Munsenburger bought Terry's chopped van, had it wrapped for his paintless repair business and even had it in the auto show last winter.
    Put a SBC in it too.

17. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I'm talking about the job he owes Terry Bergman.

18. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

You know you would be most welcome here. :)

19. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Rocky--You have me confused with the other Tinbender....Scotty let me in on the summer road trip plans, so I`ll see you at the Salt, and maybe after you drop him off on the Western end of the trip, eh?......House....

20. OOps! See ya there! Maybe next year I'll be driving my coupe.

21. Tonight we attacked the passenger side hood side. The edges of the hood sides and the edges of the hood top all are smooth except for a bead on the front of each hood side...looked totally out of place so Jimmy took a hunk of 20 gage and wrapped it around a piece of heavy wire...did some skillful tapping and viola! A new hoodside front with structural wire in it! He cut the stupid bead off and welded the new piece in place. Not only does it fit the rest of the edges, it actually fits correctly as opposed the the too-short hood sides, leaving a big gap between the grille shell and the hood side...looks better now, right?
    The first photo is the driver's side hoodside with it's bead....and it doesn't fit right. Rest of the photos are of the passenger side hood side. Much better!

Attached Files:

22. Jimmy is good, tell him the Binder needs love or I will come get it myself...............since it was mine!

23. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Good to see some progress.

24. The hell you will! It was mine before it was ever his or yours..and if he croaks, I get it again. [banish the thought!]

Attached Files:

25. Hurry up! It's almost August!

26. Won't be ready this August...maybe next.

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good!

28. Alrighty, then. Been gone on vacation [Was good to see you on the salt, T-man] but got home last night. Tonight we just worked on the driver's side hood side at the front. Just like the other side, we cut the existing bead off [the rest of the hood panels have no bead on the front to match] and again, Jimmy made a piece of 18 gauge bent over a stout[!] piece of wire to make up the new front edge of the hood side..
    Still tired from yesterday's 16 hour drive. G'nite all.

29. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Hope you said hello to the Aussies at Bonneville.