Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GM started dropping compression in '70 and buy the mid '70s you couldn't buy one without a cat with the exception of a limited run of farm trucks each year. I don't remember when they started putting smog pumps on them.

We always called just about any '70s small block a wheezer motor. they really had them detuned by about '73 or 4. You could still buy a 350 hp 350 ci corvette in '70.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  2. Kramer

Kramer

You can charge up a capacitor that will zap you, not off of a 12V battery however. Putting it in a tool box will probably short it out, tossing it to someone is better. Years ago I touched a capacitor out of an HVAC electronic air cleaner. It had been removed from power a few weeks prior. I nearly had to pick myself up from the floor. They hold a charge upwards to 10,000 volts. Always shorted out the terminals after that.

3. All I can say is that if you don't believe it to try it.
    Those capacitors hold plenty of juice to start motors, its the equivalent of an electric sledge hammer. They will definitely ring your bell too.
    The capacitor needs to be a good functional one.

4. Only one way to find out of it is a good functional one that I know of.

That is reminiscent of the intellectually challenged lady I dated once. If my bike wouldn't start I would get her to stick a finger in a plug wire while I kicked it over to make sure the magneto was firing. :D:D

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

1972 began the age of the catalytic converter, lean mixtures, low compression & air pumps.

6. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I am pretty sure 1968 Cadillacs had air pumps. I believe CATs started in 1975. Lean mixtures, bad driveability was already happening in 1970. I think '72 is when lower compression was happening.

7. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Know what ELSE will fuck ya up? Take apart one of those disposable cameras sometime. The ones with the flash. Take the back off, then hold down the little button that charges the capacitor for the flash. Then rig it up to discharge into... something other than the flash. Push the shutter button, which makes the contact and causes the discharge. Will LIGHT YOUR ASS UP. The first time I screwed with one it about caused me to discharge a little, too, if ya know what I mean. :D

8. The first GM car to have a cat was the 1975 Chevy Impala and the sister bodies. Lower compression started in the '72 model year, which was also the year that horsepower ratings were SAE net, NOT gross, as before.

Oh, and the term "foot-pounds" is annoying and WRONG! Torque is force and distance, not the other way around. In the metric system, it's measured in Newton-meters. Correctly stated in the English system, the proper term is "pound-feet".

9. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

how about... yada for sale, no title. easy to get but i dont have the time. you should have no trouble if you go (here).... firm on price.

10. I will from now on only call it pound feet. No lie no shit. Thanks for the info.

P.S. were is my pony ride???

11. DrJ

DrJ

After calling torque measurement by the abbreviation Foot Pounds, (and that's what it is, an abreviation, it could just as easily be FP or PF like HP and RPMs are,) for over half a century I know damn well "Pounds-feet" is the most annoying attempt at fucking with tradition there is in the automotive vernaculars.

It's like trying to rename channeling a "body drop".

12. They always told me to beat feet and to pound sand.
    Fuck it - pound feet it is and beat sand.

13. Lower compression started in 1971 in GM cars.
    Net ratings DID start in 1972 though...
    Unleaded gas and cat/cons in 75

14. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I checked out an 83 Capri once, I was looking for a 302 4 or 5 speed, and the seller goes on and on about the Boss 302 in this Capri... obviously I was quite skeptical but open to the idea of one being wedged in there by someone... I opened the hood and was greeted by a rather nice looking normal 302 with a 5 speed... I told the seller what it really was and showed him how to tell... but he was insistent that it was a Boss and that he would get mega money for it... I declined on it and walked away... 3 months later I found it in my buddies scrap yard, bought the whole car for $150 and took it home and yanked it out (the car was smashed as it was)

:p

I should have added more to my original post, but it got a lot of good discussion at least. What I was on about was that I see so many people brag about the 'vette engine in their whatever and it turns out to be a detuned smog engine... There most definitely was a time that a Corvette motor was a good thing, now we have to check what kind of 'vette motor/engine it actually is.

That bugs me too, and when people specify it has suicide doors when it's a sedan and they are referring to the rear doors on a pre 48 almost anything-mobile...

I brought your Pony to Wisconsin and she rusted out... sorry.

15. That makes it a ruststang we tons of those a small part of me enjoys seeing that.

16. Pound Feet is an engineering term. The magazine guys started using it to sound as though they are edumicated.

It has always been foot pounds in the world of mechnical trades whether you are a machinist or an auto mechanic or an iron worker and etc.

In my lifetime I have had the opportunity to work in both fields mechanical and engineering. To date my personal preference is mechanical. My grandad would have said that I prefer to swim upstream.

Anyway I have used the term both ways here to just see who I could rattle. Doc is not easily rattled but some of the "I am edumicated and gul durned proud of it" rattle pretty easily.

Proper terminology if you are speaking to a mechanic or reading from a mechanical publication is foot or inch pounds, unless of course you live in a metric country.

On a side not:
    Doc that is one of your better qualities. But you could just get rattled a little once in a while to make me feel better about myself. :D

17. Nope, it's pound-feet. Like Newton-meters, it is force-distance. Foot (or inch)-pounds is wrong. Sorry, gang. Common usage does not make wrong, right. It's force-distance, NOT distance-force. Physics is physics.

18. fsae0607

fsae0607

I agree with you! Does "spring pressure" also piss you off like it does me?

19. Let's get it right then.

Foot - pounds (ft*lbf) is a unit of measure for energy. It is the energy transferred on applying a force of one pound-force (lb f ) through a displacement of one foot. this expression can be converted and expressed as other energy units:

foot-pound is eqtpouivalent to:

1.355 817 948 3314 joules
    13,558,179.483 314 ergs
    0.001 285 067 British Thermal Units
    0.323 832 gram calories
    0.000 323 832 kilogram calories or food calories

Power units

1 watt ≈ 44.253 728 96 ft·lb f /min
    1 horsepower (mechanical) = 33,000 ft·lb f /min = 550 ft·lb f /s

That's " foot pounds"

Pound feet (lb·ft or lb f ·ft) is a unit of torque a very particular force. One pound-foot is the torque created by one pound force acting at a perpendicular distance of one foot from a pivot point.

One pound-foot is exactly 1.355 817 948 331 4004
    newton meters.

That's pound feet.

If you don't know the difference between force and energy then put the torque wrench and dyno away and go block sand something.

20. You are right and wrong at the same time. If I tell someone that they need to torque their main cap bolts to 65 pound feet and I am correct in saying so.

Now that same person is using their very expensive torque wrench and it is marked in Foot Pounds. They say, "Gee the 'beaner doesn't know what he is talking about." So now they have purchased a very expensive manual and it also says ft lbs. It is the same number but it is written different than what the 'beaner said.

Now from here on out the 'beaner is an idiot (which is probably true but for arguements sake). I am trying to help someone learn something about their engine, except from today forward I have lost them because the 'beaner is an idiot.

Somewhere in your education *you missed a very important class. It is the class where they teach you to communicate. When you are speaking, or in our case tapping, you speak to your audience. To speak to your audience you must speak in a language that your audience understands. In our case our audience understands auto mechanics or would like to.

Sometimes you have to make consessions, even when you are reading an ad for something you have to make consessions. You may well be annoyed but you are supposed to be the educated one. that being the case you should be humble enough to realize that before your education you didn't know any better either.

* You: You being you in general not anyone specific.

21. @31 Vicky with a Hemi --- Well, fine, then! I was half-correct, then! LOL!:D Half the time, it's used correctly; the other half, not so much.

22. DrJ

DrJ

Yea, maybe.
    After years of teaching Art classes in College it's hard to get rattled by much.
    I just thought of another one where engineers and mechanics don't know what each other's talking about and the mechanics anyway seldom care.
    That thing you replace in your distributor along with the points is called a condenser, but if it was in the radio it would be called a capacitor. :rolleyes:

23. Yep

The one that always confused me is capacitive discharge ignition, it already has a capaciter.

You won't mind if I continue to shake the tree and see what falls out will you? :D

24. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Is this the longest thread on the HAMB? The only this this thread proves is that the old car hobby has a lot of guys that get irritated and annoyed.

25. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

I appreciate the effort you put into your post, but it looks like even you got tripped up. Haha.

Now say, "Sally sells seashells by the seashore," 3 times fast!

26. All_6s_and_7s

All_6s_and_7s
    from Canada

People that have a car ad and don't reply.

I emailed and called the guy about my parts car for a week, then I finally get an vague email setting up a time to call for me to set up a time to see the car then call and get no answer, get another email saying come out noon saturday, but call first....get no answer, finally speak to a live person and finally setup a viewing. Geez I'm sure I'm not talking about Bell Canada here, but it sounds the same

Was well worth the aggravation, I got it cheap and it's a solid, all original car, with rust in the usual places, that ran when parked, and looked good for its age.

27. Yea kind of like the women that you work with aren't they, damned old car folks anyway. :D

28. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

"All original". Is it all original and fucked all to Hell or original and nice? "All original" doesn't tell me shit.

29. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

It's a "nice" car. 10+ years ago that word meant a nice car, period. Today people attach that word to some of the biggest pieces of shit

30. Its a barn find original hot rod built in the insert era of choice here. I hate to say it but there is not such a thing as an original hot rod.:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.