Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flat FED build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roseville carl, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

2. Well got to taking the rear end out ...................
    [​IMG]

Flying a Flathead............
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lets get into this.....
    [​IMG]

Well so we get to the bottom of this and low and behold......
    [​IMG]

Looks like some dumb shit forgot to fill the rear end .....hummmm
    which in turn causes extra wear on gears.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And allows one to re temper the pinion .........
    [​IMG]

and over heat the pinion bearings a tad causing the beautiful shade of blue on them........
    Sometimes one should not be in such a trash to get things done, you'd think at my age I would have learned this already, but what the hell I might even put wing nuts on everything so it comes apart easier............... now to find that sumofbitch that forgot the gear lube.....................

Archiewest likes this.
  3. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

wow, ant that a bitch.
    love your fed by the way..

4. Vergil

Vergil

Carl I don't know if it is age or not, when I was 19 I had a 57 Chrysler that I blew the push button transmission up so gathered all the parts, installed the 3 speed manual with overdrive and about three miles down the road on the maiden voyage it locked up ... no oil in the transmission ... maybe I was thinking of girls instead of oil ... when are the 4x2's going on?

Vergil

5. Were there any 'Maidens' on the voyage . . . that can screw up rational male thoughts every time! :eek:

6. Mark thankx for the comment

Virg.. I'm going to use the 4-2 manifold for the start of the blower manifold course I will probably put them on after I get the rear end fixed and make a few passes with the new gears and see what I have got..............

Dale yes that does mess up the thought process but I ain't a teenager any longer even though I act like it sometimes....ha ha.......... what did you think of that Hop Rod Ale?

new parts on order to be here next week so maybe soon I can get some seat time in her!!!!

7. Vergil

Vergil

Dale a side note .... the girlfriend I had then ended up being my wife when I was 20 and she still puts up with me working on the old cars after 50 years of togetherness... her Dad was a mechanic so we got along great and wife wasn't suprised with tracked in oil and greasy clothes ..

Vergil

8. Wow Carl. Shit happens to the best of us.

and I'm not saying I'm even close to the best, but I've made my share of mistakes. Cheer up and move on.

9. Some things a feller should just take to the grave!

10. Some things a feller should just take to the grave!

Ya Trent, but I'm one who lets it all ride the good and the bad, besides someone can always learn from your mistakes.....................
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

11. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Dam sorry to see that Carl, Doing things like that is why I have a note in my auto darking welding hood that says ( hey dumbass turn your hood on) had to do that after trying to blind myself too many times Tim Jones

12. Shit Tim it ain't all that bad now I will have the gears I wanted in her anyway, got rid of the 4.30's, and so it goes, just pisses me off that I didn't get a chance to run on sunday when they had the lights and timer in operation. Gears and parts will be here by wednesday so I'm stoked again!!!

13. Vergil

Vergil

Carl what a great attitude you have , thumbs up and a great example for others ...
    Vergil

14. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Carl, It's Good to see nothing gets you down, Talk to you later Tim Jones

15. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Yikes. Just gotta move forward though.. We're thinking of changing the rear end ratio in the Doll as well.

16. what you running in the Doll now D n what are you thinking of going to? I'm going to try out 3.42's..........

17. Well its a start..... 60 bucks worth of aluminum plate for the 4-71 manifold
    [​IMG]

18. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

We are running 3:90's and we are thinking of changing to 4:11's but we haven't tried the Doll in a quarter mile yet with the rebuilt engine so we aren't sure yet...

19. afaulk

afaulk

Damn Carl, I thought it was just me bumping into things. Just today i stuck a piece of masking tape on my rear end housing. It says in black magic marker..... NO OIL!!! Another one just like it on trans pan. Anyway your Dragster is looking good.

20. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I just read this whole thread!! I never have seen the internals of a flathead!! I learned some things!!! I got the itch now to get my 55 race worthy again. Keep up the great work Carl. :cool:

21. So Carl, you change your mind about Bonneville?!>?!>?!>!>!>?

22. Well D I was running 4.30's and with the old slug motor she was way out of RPM before the end of the quarter, so with the calcs I have done I'm going the other way with my exist tire it should give me 132 @ 5000 or drop to a 28 in tire for 121 @ 5000 if I can develop the HP to do it............

Afulk, gooood idea on the tape, wish now I would have done that!!!

"T'RANTULA" Ok now go get er running again!!!

Trent, looks like I won't make it this year as I have spent a ton on things these last four weeks, so keep Tim on the up and up OK?

23. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

About missing oil, could have easy been me:)!
    Hope you get to fix it soon.

Br
    Kjell

Sidewinder

24. Happened to me B4, lost an expensive transmission....:(

25. Parts arrived yesterday ...........

26. well got to work yesterday needed to put a drain in the axle housing.......so
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then got the new gears in set backlash....

[​IMG]

Checked gear pattern, after clearancing the punkin for the new ARP bolts which were too long in the headspace, only had this thing apart about 66 gillion times, before it finally started to act correctly.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But man can I make a mess, and as always when you start a project naturally you have to do twenty other things that you haven't anticipated.... like the air compressor decided it didn't like me anymore and went on strike so it was an all day affair to fix it. Pulley broke apart made out of Aluminum and cheap shit so I had an extra pulley from another but of course one shaft is tapered and the other is straight. So its make a tapered shim, took all day today...........
    [​IMG]

Oh well there's always tomorrow...........................
    Oh and REMEMBER to put drain plug in!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  27. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

HaHaHA, I have a son that can make a bigger mess than that :D

28. Well nother day and closer to having fun
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but damn that punkin was heavy!!!