Register now to get rid of these ads!

'48-'52 F1 Hot Rod Planning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Starboard, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

2. Starboard

Starboard

Mark,

Thanks for the reference points. Unfortunately it seems that inexpensive F1's are in short supply. People want 3-5k for ones with weeds growing in them and 6-7k for running ones.

When you plan on doing as many modifications as I am planning, it's hard to bring myself to pay full freight for a car, only to rip it apart.

3. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Starboard,
    I paid $3200 for my complete 48 F1. It includeSd the original cab, and front sheet metal, a 50-52 bed and rear fenders, and the original 48 rear fenders. It had a modified stock front axle with power steering box, a 302 SBF and C4. It also had a clear 48 Arizona title. The previous owner (PO) had installed the power steering box and modified the front suspension so the tie rod was in front of the axle. It would not work as the suspension had all of 1 inch travel before it hit his brackets. I sold off the original rear end, 302/C4 and trashed his front suspension. When Elpolacko installed his Dakota IFS he had to straighten the frame because the truck had been in an accident at some time in its life and the center of the frame was NOT in line with either the front or rear cross members. 64 years of work on an old truck moves things around. Plan on a complete rebuild, especially if the PO was not too sharp or did not do quality work like mine. Mine was a roller, just barely. $3-5K is not too bad if the sheet metal is in reasonable shape without cancerous rust.

You are on the right track by planning out what you want to do BEFORE you start. The trick is to stick to the plan and not make changes after you've done a bunch of work that has to be undone. PM me with your email and I will send you a copy of my Excel spreadsheet of the build. That spreadsheet is still in work, but it has the basic plan in it and I am building a budget and know what I've spent so far.

4. ....this is my latest F-1, a 48 that could be my daily driver and almost is; I look for an excuse to drive it. 65 Chevelle front clip, p.s., Nova rear on mid 70's Chevy p.u. shortbed rear leaf springs, 250 Chevy inline six/ 350 turbo trans, runs, drives , rides just fine and great on gas too. I really like this truck, been giving my 47 Chevy p.u. a break lately.
    [​IMG]

5. Starboard

Starboard

I did! Thank you for sharing man. I'm sorry I didn't respond by email. Things have been crazy and I've been reading about 5-6 hours a night to try to get my plan all set. After talking to a ton of people, the Jag IFS seems like the way to go, both safety and ease of installation wise.

As of now, my plan is to budget for that rather than one of the aftermarket MII IFS's.