Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a crazy sized battery...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by randy, Jun 6, 2012.

1. randy

randy

Well, crazy by today's standards.

I want to run a battery in the stock location on my '56 Cadillac. I think that will be a refreshing change from its former spot in the trunk. The stock spot is against the firewall, down low, off the front of the passenger side body mount.

I've thought about making a battery tray and relocating it up front, but I don't want to change the quirky old stuff unless it's totally necessary. They make an awesome looking repro...that costs $300 + shipped.

[​IMG]

I'll probably get one if I have to, but I'd rather save a few bucks.

The dimensions of the old tymey beast are 19” L x 4 ¼" W x 9”. The only CRITICAL dimension is the width. I might be able to go with a 5" width MAX.

What do you guys think?

2. Somebody told me to check with tractor supply for odd shaped batteries. My 52 buick had a 6 volt just about the same size and shape as that one.

3. oldolds

oldolds

Any good battery company should be able to get it for you. Tractor Supply by me usually has them. Some equiptment uses that battery as well as those GM cars.

4. Keep

Keep

5. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

That's a size 3EE in 12 volt and 3EH in 6 volt. Check with your local Caterpillar equipment dealer for pricing. If you know someone who has heavy equipment, they might get a discount. Caterpillar sells good batteries but the price might be high. They have to stand vibration and cranking a diesel engine.

6. squirrel

squirrel

or ebay? or your local interstate battery dealer? or your local golf cart dealer?

ebay 370603762847

7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep, tractor or forklift battery- my little Clark Trukloader fork has a 6 volt version (In the hood porthole), and the IH 706 Diesel tractors we had when I was a kid had a pair of 6V's in series in saddle mounts. I think the one in "Lil' Forker" cost me about $100 at a fork repair shop- Tractor Supply should be able to get you one, and you could probably find/ order it on their website

[​IMG]

8. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

That's a "big rig" sized battery (3EE) I've seen battery boxes that size, but they were $300+ I have to build a battery box that size as I'm replacing the two under hood batterys in my Cummins Ram with one 3EE battery under the bed. Let me know if you find anything under $200

9. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

Hey send me all your left overs, I want to move my battery to the trunk.

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If this a 12v aplication, I have been using the small Honda group 51 batteries in hot rods for a few years now. They are 5"x9 1/2"x8" tall. they seem to be up to the task if you want to go smaller.

11. randy

randy

Thanks guys. I might go the Honda route though obviously (and happily) there is more than one option.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Last time I bought a 3EE, it was 1999, it was just under $100. These are the standard forklift batteries for decades. Mine went in my T roadster sitting across the back crossmember just behind the tailgate panel to the rear of the fuel tank.

13. Check into these. They are Glass Mat, no acid. Will mount in any direction. They are 10 times the best wet battery out there and priced very well. Optima battery's don't hold a candle to them. If you make the move you'll never regret it. I hae a friend with one 10 years old and still going strong. I can't believe it. I now have 2 of them in service and love them.
    The Wizzard

14. This is some good info, I was needing a battery for my '55 Caddy.....

15. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

One of the NAPAs in my area keeps that size battery in stock, for only $110. 3EH series, 6 volt. I used it for my 54 Pontiac. Call them first and ask if they can get that size for you.

[​IMG]

16. randy -

It might be worth a trip to the Gilroy tractor_supply_logo.jpg to checkout their $99.99 Type F-3EE Heavy Duty Farm battery:

TractorSupplyCoF3EEbattery.JPG
    click thumbnail to view webpage

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  17. randy

randy

Winner! Making a trip on Friday... Funny thing is, I was told these were "really hard to find". Glad I asked guys that actually know what they're talking about.

Thanks again.

18. randy -

The Tractor Supply Co. F-3EE battery:

Tractor Supply Co F-3EE battery.JPG
    click thumbnail to enlarge

... definitely isn't as "cool" as the reproduction Delco 3EE battery:

Delco Repro 3EE battery.jpg Delco Repro 3EE battery cap.gif
    click thumbnails to enlarge

... but I'm thinkin' you could remove that ugly "TRAVELLER TRACTOR / HEAVY DUTY" sticker and have a decent looking (all black) battery ... and save yourself $170.00!

19. randy

randy

More than that! shipping on one of those neato repop batteries ain't cheap...

Thanks.

20. Everything is hard to find until you know where to look.
    The grocery store is a fine example.

The HAMB is an awesome resource.
    I went absolutely bonkers trying to find special bolts. Called every supply hose from coast to coast. From a HAMB post, a hamber who is a forklift mechanic recognizes the bolts. He gave me a part # and I call the local Forklift parts dealer. My Aunt who worked there for years answered the phone and got my bolts.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=580535&highlight=cant+find+these+bolts
    Here's the thread if you want to see a glimpse of how cool the HAMB is.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  21. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I've bought them at Napa