Register now to get rid of these ads!

Krylon Rattle Can Flake REVIEW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60galaxieJJ, Jun 1, 2012.

1. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

lol sorry but flake IS like a drug and i cant get enough of it. Have fun just make sure you wear a mask.I couldnt find mine so I inhaled a good amount of flake when painting it lol

Weird that you found it at walmart, because i work at the walmart here and couldnt find any. i rreally wanted to buy it at walmart because i get a discount lol:p

2. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

ya I think I will enjoy painting things in flake for a change, when I went online to check the availability some local walmarts said "not available at this store" the nearest one that carried it plus had it in stock was 21 miles away, I guess some walmarts just dont carry it, maybe you can buy online and ship to your store and be able to use your discount at the time of purchase

3. toucan

toucan
    from sc

looks like the ticket for smaller parts!

4. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i'm painting my 56 F100 Satin Black and I love the red wheel color look but everyone does it, so I'm going to attempt to use the green flake as the color, I think its an acceptable gamble, if I dont like the way it looks it will only put me behind a day

5. Looks much better than the Duplicolor Flake.
    Duplicolor Flake turned out to look like normal metallic on my red rims. Crappy stuff and won't stick well either.
    Krylon has always been a good product. We've used it for over 40 years in our dealership's recon departments for spraying under hoods, wheels, chassis, and other components.

6. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

yea im planning on trying the cherry red on my roof and some interior parts of my car

7. RayMiller

RayMiller

That's cool I might have to spray bomb the roof of my car now

8. I was looking at that blue flake to do the roof of my Dodge Sweptline pickup. It has an original white textured paint on it now, and it's pretty worn. This would compliment the blue on the truck body...On to Wally World!

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Cool use of a piggy bank - looks great !

10. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

I used a krylon clear before on bike parts I flaked and it came out real foggy like Milky I use rustoleum clear it comes out clear as can be but runs easy just an FYI I use regular gloss paint and a salt shaker with enlarged holes and sprinkle the flake from up above like 3 ft while the spray paints still wet then let dry and clear 4 coats comes out great but I do want to try this stuff

11. boucher racing

boucher racing
    from nashville

I was so moved by the thread, I had to try it for myself. This is Citrus Dream aka Twisted Lime on my cooler:

He is right, you cannot look directly at it in the sunlight.

[​IMG]

12. fergi9000

fergi9000

Im gonna do my inside trim on my 59. I did it on a few trim peices and was skeptical...but I keep staring at it and thinking the whole car would look good (at least on a sunny day) with it. Lots of clear is the key. And dont buy the clear they try to sell with it. Buy a BIGGER can.

13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I used this on my pedal car stroller and people rave about it constantly.

14. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

yea it hurt for me to look at what i was painting in the sun lol

15. kiwasabi

kiwasabi
    from Denver, CO

So do people on here not like the Dupli-color metal specks as much as the Krylon glitter blast? I had read some reviews about the Krylon product's nozzle getting clogged, as well as the problem with it not wanting to stop spraying.

I found this image of someone's result with the Dupli-color metal specks paint and I was quite impressed. Anyone else have any pics of their results with the metal specks paint?

[​IMG]

This guy didn't seem to get as good of a result, most likely because he didn't use a base color like gold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  16. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

very cool, did you use the color of the cooler as the base color?

17. That's my next question(s) - I have a white surface that I want to cover. I've never shot flake before, ever...

1) Do I use a gray primer, or can I shoot the base color over the white?
    2) Since I want to use the blue flake, which would make the flake stand out more, a blue base or a gold base?

Basic stuff for some of you, but I'd like to know. I've got an old Hudson trunk lid to practice on that is white, like the roof on my truck.

18. boucher racing

boucher racing
    from nashville

I prepped it by a light scuff and shooting it with a white primer, then the flake.

19. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

Well,i got a pair of billet looking valve covers (not going to fly at traditional shows...but,i need the height)....so im going to try and do a krylon rattle can flake gold on them!

20. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

please post pictures when you're done, i would like to see how they turned out

21. Beat2Hell

Beat2Hell
    from So. Cal

Haha I was thinking or rattle bombing the roof on my Sweptline too!

22. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Glitter blast and a few other tricks with a load of clear on top

23. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

awesome man. i use a lot of rattle bomb for shit, and when done right it can look amazing. glad i finally saw some pics of this stuffs potential. very cool indeed

24. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Psssssssssssstttt. It's not flake, it's called glitter;) (gearhead graphics got it right) Just an insy winsy bit of wishful thinking there:p Just thought i'd mention that as a few of you are getting confused.

[​IMG]

I'll add that i've used most hobby store stuff and not knocking anyones work in the slightest. It's inspiring to see just calling something a "flaked" paint job is slightly stretching the truth.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  25. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

1 depends on the surface you plan on painting on.
    2 I'd probably use white or a light blue base

26. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

Here are my results with the Duplicolor...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Duplicolor Metalspecks is a good paint. It really shines in the sun. But once in the shade, it comes across as a metallic and less "flakey"
    [​IMG]

That being said, I will be picking up some of the Krylon Rattler for the back two wheels to see which is preferable. The results that the OP and cooler guy posted have persuaded me to try it out. If It turns out better than the Duplicolor, then I will go ahead and sand down the fronts and redo.

I will post results once I get them taken care of.

edit: please note that this tire was a tester for the grinding and will not end up being used. That is why you see some over spray on it, I did a half-assed job taping since I knew the tire would not be used once the car is road-worthy.

27. bstie

bstie

^^ Digging the Stude caps! Wheels Look good I would like to see the results of which is better.

28. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

Thanks, I just picked those up a couple weeks ago at the Monroe Swapmeet! I originally was going to run the straight steelies until I saw a pic of the caps... Then I had to have them! A member of the Studebaker Drivers Club brought a box of them down from Alberta for me. He had a really nice pair and I was able to get the matching pair at the meet for $10. :D

I should have some results by the end of the month. Pretty busy right now. But, I will get it done as soon as possible.

29. kiwasabi

kiwasabi
    from Denver, CO

Thanks for posting the pics Ole Red. I had heard that in order to get the best results with the metal specks paint you need to use a silver or gold base. What did you use? For my project (an arcade cabinet), I think the metal specks will work fine since I just want a nice metallic green, not overly flaky. The glitter blast would just be too much. Although I'm also considering having a body shop paint it so that it looks really nice.